Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Students at these universities are not getting paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to go there and take classes, but the athletes are, there is the difference. We are edging closer every day to making the players employees of the school, thereby locking them into the school for a set amount of time. Give them one free transfer and they sign a contract with the school.
Dang everyone at ISU is getting paid hundreds of thousands to play sports!?! That’s very impressive

• Haha
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Can we ban Altimore tweets. Hes just as bad as MV3r or whatever his name is.

They guy might not be an idiot, but his data is almost always biased and flawed, he constantly manipulates his data to prove his agenda.

He is worse than a rando that speculates and claims sources, he claims his info is factual, and its a total deception, while at least appearing to be a person in the know, because of his claimed business.

His info is as accurate as his profile pic from '95, is as accurate of how he looks today.
Altimore refuses to understand the most important factor in ratings is less the team than the media that it is being shown on and the time. Without factoring that in, the data is crap.

Most college fans are going to view their favorite team first and foremost, once their game is over, they are then either going to view teams from their conference or the best games left to play. Put Alabama on a streaming service and you are not going to get great ratings for the game, if it was true then the Longhorn network would have made money instead of losing money every year of the contract.

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
Well that’s the end of college sports so, sure I guess
Everytime this thread comes back alive and people start spit balling ideas you almost always come back to this.

What is your solution or what do you see happening? You kind of come off as knowing it all…so then tell us what’s going to happen from your Big 10 money tree.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Dang everyone at ISU is getting paid hundreds of thousands to play sports!?! That’s very impressive
I mean if you include the cost of tuition, room and board, health and fitness, medical and everything else they get for free, then yeah you could say they are.

Thats what a lot of people forget, these players are getting a lot for free, as it is. The whole idea that they all deserve more is a bit short sighted.

With the way NIL is being used today, you have no choice but to do what everyone else is, but the Idea of NIL is not to have a collection to pay everyone to play. NIL is traditionally for using the players NIL for things like adverts, appearances, etc, by businesses and brands. But, in the rule free zone that is NIL and transfer portal, its the wild west and you have to do what everyone is doing. It sucks but until things change to put some rules in place it is the way it is.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Not what I said, and you know it. You stated that athletes should be able to move just like any other student, but they are not just any other student as the athletes in many cases are getting NIL funds. Is the math or science major getting a nice check from an NIL every semester they are in school? No, they are not, you are comparing two totally different things and we both know it.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Not what I said, and you know it. You stated that athletes should be able to move just like any other student, but they are not just any other student as the athletes in many cases are getting NIL funds. Is the math or science major getting a nice check from an NIL every semester they are in school? No, they are not, you are comparing two totally different things and we both know it.
Oh I meant ISU athletes, apologize for that one. Didn’t realize all the athletes were making hundreds of thousands. Know that isn’t the case at Michigan or MSU.

• Dumb

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Everytime this thread comes back alive and people start spit balling ideas you almost always come back to this.

What is your solution or what do you see happening? You kind of come off as knowing it all…so then tell us what’s going to happen from your Big 10 money tree.
When/if athletes become employees it’s going to be the bombshell that reshapes everything. I know practically nothing when it comes from the aftermath of that as it’s a whole new world, all I know is programs will shut down. How many and which ones I have no idea.

I don’t think there will ever be a super league of 20-30 teams as I’ve always said. I also think the currently landscape of NIL and transfers isn’t as problematic as many on here have said for a variety of reasons. That’s why I don’t see much changing in the near future unless the employee thing comes up sooner rather then later.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
The thing you have to consider is ALL of the pro leagues have rules and contracts that have to be paid and honored by both sides.

A pro can not just jump teams, they have to be out of contract (free agent) or be traded or a deal struck with teams.

Right now in College they dont have this, but are paying the players like they are pros etc. It would be like having NFL players playing wherever they want, and changing their mind and teams at will, with no rules and no pay rules.

Until they make a contract system and pay system in place it is going to continue to degrade college sports.

Things would be much better if their were contracts and players had to follow those contracts or follow rules on how to get out of them. Trade with new school, new school pays contract buy out, etc. This is why I have warmed up to the idea of paying them like employees, then rules can be put in place as well as things like contracts for players.

If we are going to treat them like pros then they need to have the same requirements.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Oh I meant ISU athletes, apologize for that one. Didn’t realize all the athletes were making hundreds of thousands. Know that isn’t the case at Michigan or MSU.
Are you suggesting that players of the football and MBB teams at Michigan and MSU are not getting paid? Or are you going to fall back on the "all athletes" and say that the players on the tennis team and many others are just getting free schooling and room and board?

Players at schools are getting paid in the money-making sports, that is not open to debate, since that is true, we have to come up with a system that locks the player to a school and does not allow them to take the money and run. NIL the way it is set up only benefits the players, the "owners" of the system the schools see this as not in their best interest and if it means making the players employees that is what they will do to regain control of the system.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
When/if athletes become employees it’s going to be the bombshell that reshapes everything. I know practically nothing when it comes from the aftermath of that as it’s a whole new world, all I know is programs will shut down. How many and which ones I have no idea.

I don’t think there will ever be a super league of 20-30 teams as I’ve always said. I also think the currently landscape of NIL and transfers isn’t as problematic as many on here have said for a variety of reasons. That’s why I don’t see much changing in the near future unless the employee thing comes up sooner rather then later.
You don't favor a super league formation because MSU is a member of the B10 and is raking in the dollars. I agree a super league of 20 to 30 schools is not large enough, but you could easily do the 70 model that some have thrown out there. How many teams will have to be determined later, but we are moving in that direction, the ACC is the next to fall, when that occurs there will be three leagues left of stature, how long will it take for both the B10 and SEC to start eying the best remaining schools of the B12 to take?

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Are you suggesting that players of the football and MBB teams at Michigan and MSU are not getting paid? Or are you going to fall back on the "all athletes" and say that the players on the tennis team and many others are just getting free schooling and room and board?

Players at schools are getting paid in the money-making sports, that is not open to debate, since that is true, we have to come up with a system that locks the player to a school and does not allow them to take the money and run. NIL the way it is set up only benefits the players, the "owners" of the system the schools see this as not in their best interest and if it means making the players employees that is what they will do to regain control of the system.
Oh no they are getting paid, but the vast majority aren’t coming close to getting hundreds of thousands of dollars. Most of the guys are getting around 20-30K per year. Some stars are raking in the big bucks but the vast majority are not.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Oh no they are getting paid, but the vast majority aren’t coming close to getting hundreds of thousands of dollars. Most of the guys are getting around 20-30K per year. Some stars are raking in the big bucks but the vast majority are not.
Maybe you should read what players in the portal are signing for these days, and its not 20-30K a year. No named players are not making 100 grand but a decent player at a power school is making well over the amount you quoted. Hell Perkins from EIU moved on the other day, is getting 300K for one season, is what is being reported.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
You don't favor a super league formation because MSU is a member of the B10 and is raking in the dollars. I agree a super league of 20 to 30 schools is not large enough, but you could easily do the 70 model that some have thrown out there. How many teams will have to be determined later, but we are moving in that direction, the ACC is the next to fall, when that occurs there will be three leagues left of stature, how long will it take for both the B10 and SEC to start eying the best remaining schools of the B12 to take?
A 70 team model isn’t a super league, it is the current system. If/when the ACC falls that still doesn’t change anything.

I think your one of those people that believes that greed is above all in cfb (can’t blame you there) so in what world does the P2 take a massive pay cut to balance out the revenue of the other leagues? If they aren’t taking a massive pay cut then it’s just the same system we have now. Also what school is going to want to voluntarily leave the P2 for a new conference making less money? You can’t recreate the system sadly without the P2, even if it’s best for cfb. So I don’t see a path where this works unless I’m missing something.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Maybe you should read what players in the portal are signing for these days, and its not 20-30K a year. No named players are not making 100 grand but a decent player at a power school is making well over the amount you quoted. Hell Perkins from EIU moved on the other day, is getting 300K for one season, is what is being reported.
Cool. Who’s reporting that? What is their proof? Is the actual fund disclosing that information? NIL funds are extremely tight lipped on this part and very little is public. The agents and reps have every reason to inflate those numbers or flat out lie. I’ve been involved in NIL since the beginning, my second ever thread on this board was talking about how you should make the collective and I was dumbed out of existence saying that’s not how this works, and ISU would never, so trust me I’m aware. Those numbers are insanely inflated and also only the big ones are the ones getting reported (almost always by agents). Most NIL is for a pretty small amount paid to every athlete then the stars/transfers get the bigger pay days.

Edit* basketball usually has a higher number then football and I had no idea who Perkins was so I just assumed football, my bad on that one.

Last edited:
  • Creative

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
A 70 team model isn’t a super league, it is the current system. If/when the ACC falls that still doesn’t change anything.

I think your one of those people that believes that greed is above all in cfb (can’t blame you there) so in what world does the P2 take a massive pay cut to balance out the revenue of the other leagues? If they aren’t taking a massive pay cut then it’s just the same system we have now. Also what school is going to want to voluntarily leave the P2 for a new conference making less money? You can’t recreate the system sadly without the P2, even if it’s best for cfb. So I don’t see a path where this works unless I’m missing something.
Aggregating TV rights amongst all 70 schools and bidding them out NFL style with unequal revenue sharing (based on TV ratings) and with seven 10 team conferences is not the same system and as proposed in the Athletic, would retain the core 10 members of both the B10 and SEC. Aggregating rights and bidding them out NFL style without ESPN/Fox control of the process should be of long term financial benefit to all 70 schools.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Aggregating TV rights amongst all 70 schools and bidding them out NFL style with unequal revenue sharing (based on TV ratings) and with seven 10 team conferences is not the same system and as proposed in the Athletic, would retain the core 10 members of both the B10 and SEC. Aggregating rights and bidding them out NFL style without ESPN/Fox control of the process should be of long term financial benefit to all 70 schools.
What schools are willingly leaving the big ten and SEC? You think Penn State wouldn’t be pissed?

Also for those remaining schools if you balance it out based on TV ratings do you think your Purdues and Miss St’s of the world are going to be happy taking a 50mil pay cut because they don’t draw well on TV? How frequently are you rebalanced for that unequal revenue sharing? That proposal is just going to send even more money to the Michigans and Bamas of the world. Not exactly balanced, you just end up with the same outcome it’s just repackaged.

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
I haven't seen any marketing data published. I have seen the knucklehead Tony Altimore publish his viewpoint that 50% of the viewership is due to 18 teams.

Crakes and Thompson are former Fox executives who I assume are as tuned in to marketing data as anyone can be, and they view that the super league will be the future. But I agree with you and not them that this super league will have a hard time getting traction when they exclude fans of the schools not in the super league.

Now do it for the OTA networks, Tony. It’s also about the network and time they are on. @$$hat.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014

You are right in that. The 70+ team ideas floating out there is not exactly a Super league. It is a complete reorganization of the system currently in place. This could be a possible outcome if the the NCAA completely falls apart. Which is a possibility.

The idea of a super league to me is somewhere in the middle between 30 and 70, probably in the area of 48 teams to at least to start. But it is not just the SEC and B1G combined. If it is a true super league, then no way they include teams like Vandy or Rutgers. This is also a possible system.

The other ideas out there, like the SEC and B1G break away, are also possibilities, but I dont consider that or some of the others a formation of a "super league". Just changing the current system, kind of like going from the BCS to the playoff and/or creating the P5 and G5.

I am not sure how likely any of these scenarios are, but the chances are more than zero. I also dont know have a good idea of how soon something like this happens. My feeling is at least not until the current contracts are expired or close to it.

The possible scenarios also depend on who is driving the change, being the media partners, the conferences, or a team/s. Because of all the scenarios out there, it is better for one or the other depending on the scenario.

• Agree
Reactions: FriendlySpartan

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
What schools are willingly leaving the big ten and SEC? You think Penn State wouldn’t be pissed?

Also for those remaining schools if you balance it out based on TV ratings do you think your Purdues and Miss St’s of the world are going to be happy taking a 50mil pay cut because they don’t draw well on TV? How frequently are you rebalanced for that unequal revenue sharing? That proposal is just going to send even more money to the Michigans and Bamas of the world. Not exactly balanced, you just end up with the same outcome it’s just repackaged.
It all depends on the money.

If the money in a future contract is not a significant increase or even a decrease and some media carrier goes to the power teams in those conferences and offers a huge increase to leave, it is possible. Even if a future contract increases, but someone offers a large increase outside that contract for certain teams it would become a possibility. And I am sure there would be teams giving it a serious look, if offered.

Do you think if someone like Apple came to a team like Ohio State or Alabama and offered them a $100M per year pay bump to leave and create a new league, they would not at least give it a serious consideration?

• Agree
Reactions: FriendlySpartan
Sep 10, 2015
Help me out, when they are talking about the Super League do they mean the proposed CFB realignment for everyone or the SEC-B1G combining into a big brands conference excluding the others?
This has a little more detail but it’s still vague and I’m not 100% clear what he is trying to say other than he thinks 20-30 schools drive nearly all of the value and he doesn’t think the odds are good that they are going to want to include the bottom 100 schools in their club.

Honestly if the Super League is really that small I think I would prefer to not be in it. Being the bottom rung of the league with pretty much everything about it being stacked in favor of the handful of teams that have the most money and are located in the best recruiting grounds doesn’t sound any fun to me. I’d rather be with the 100 other schools that are left behind but that’s just me.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron