REALISTIC expectations for 2023 football season

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
4-8 seems right. Don't have the depth to absorb the losses. Bright side is new QB will have a chance to get the growing pains out this year when the expectations are low.
I think we have the depth. We just don't have the experience.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I'll keep saying that I "think" we have the talent, but we have a lack of experience and demonstrated in-game difference makers.

The TE room is good on paper, but it needs to show it on the field. The RB room has some great youth, but lack experience. The WR room has been a one-man show for way too long, it's time for them to step up. The OL can only get better, and should with better fundamentals.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
I'll keep saying that I "think" we have the talent, but we have a lack of experience and demonstrated in-game difference makers.

The TE room is good on paper, but it needs to show it on the field. The RB room has some great youth, but lack experience. The WR room has been a one-man show for way too long, it's time for them to step up. The OL can only get better, and should with better fundamentals.
How does a team have "talent", but lack "in-game difference makers"? Seems hard for these things to both be true.

• Disagree
Reactions: ZRF

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
How does a team have "talent", but lack "in-game difference makers"? Seems hard for these things to both be true.
Because they've never had the opportunity yet to prove themselves for whatever reason. What really only matters is how they play when the games start, but we literally can't evaluate how good they are until that happens.

Reactions: Jer

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Great question.

I was simply trying to state that I think we have guys that can be difference makers, especially in the TE room, but none of them have demonstrated it yet. Some because they're new, some because they didn't have the right development, some because of route trees. And others just aren't at the level we thought they were.

Again, I'm a big believer in I'll believe it when I see it, but in theory we have guys that should be able to step up.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

See any number of players over the last several years that showed glimpses and got better in their first year and then became ISU legends the rest of their time.

Whether this team holds those types is yet to be seen but let's hope last year pays off.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Great question.

I was simply trying to state that I think we have guys that can be difference makers, especially in the TE room, but none of them have demonstrated it yet. Some because they're new, some because they didn't have the right development, some because of route trees. And others just aren't at the level we thought they were.

Again, I'm a big believer in I'll believe it when I see it, but in theory we have guys that should be able to step up.
Our TE room has some young studs that are going to get a great opportunity to showcase themselves this year. When we landed some of these players, we were all excited and the only reason that excitement went away was because last year was a dud. The guys that will be playing this year were freshman last year or were RS FR. They also had a bad OC and were coming off of 3-4 years of very good TE play, so no matter what they did, it was going to seem down.

You could honestly say something similar about the WR core. I'm excited for them. I think we're going to have some solid contributors as well as a few younger guys who show why they had the offers they had coming out of HS. I'm more worried about our OL overall. If they are not average, it doesn't matter who we have throwing the ball, running it or catching it.

Reactions: Jer

crs8975

Aug 14, 2013
Lakewood, CO

Our OL can only get better has been the motto for like 10 years.

JRJ

Jan 20, 2014
See any number of players over the last several years that showed glimpses and got better in their first year and then became ISU legends the rest of their time.

Whether this team holds those types is yet to be seen but let's hope last year pays off.
Agree. Depth comes from talented players WITH experience. It is rare for a kid to be playing at a high level right away. Typically need a year of work as a #2 guy. It certainly happens, but to expect that to be the case at ISU (especially at the QB, RB, OL and DL) is not realistic. Then if you get injuries to guys who should be backups, but are starting, then things can look ugly.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Agree. Depth comes from talented players WITH experience. It is rare for a kid to be playing at a high level right away. Typically need a year of work as a #2 guy. It certainly happens, but to expect that to be the case at ISU (especially at the QB, RB, OL and DL) is not realistic. Then if you get injuries to guys who should be backups, but are starting, then things can look ugly.
While true, if you go down the line of those, we're not really working with a bunch of non-starters.. Rocco, sure, that's a given and we're going to have to see what happens. There's a reason he was liked and held an offer from Kiffin though.

Norton seemed to have a legit shot to have a ton of snaps last year. I don't think he would've taken over Brock but he seemed to be more of the second head of a two headed monster than simply a second string. Him continuing on with his injuries though could be the real dagger in that RB room. I'm not worried Remsburg because I'm more worried about the OL as a whole. And then I'm not really worried about the DL at all because of the trust I have with the defense and that unit specifically.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
While true, if you go down the line of those, we're not really working with a bunch of non-starters.. Rocco, sure, that's a given and we're going to have to see what happens. There's a reason he was liked and held an offer from Kiffin though.

Norton seemed to have a legit shot to have a ton of snaps last year. I don't think he would've taken over Brock but he seemed to be more of the second head of a two headed monster than simply a second string. Him continuing on with his injuries though could be the real dagger in that RB room. I'm not worried Remsburg because I'm more worried about the OL as a whole. And then I'm not really worried about the DL at all because of the trust I have with the defense and that unit specifically.

What are the prospects for the true freshman? I'd like to see if one or two of them get a couple of series in the first game.

RE: the Oline I'm not expecting much but I'm also curious to see if they look fundamentally different coming out of the gates.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
What are the prospects for the true freshman? I'd like to see if one or two of them get a couple of series in the first game.

RE: the Oline I'm not expecting much but I'm also curious to see if they look fundamentally different coming out of the gates.
I was asking this the other day and someone more in the know than me said they're doing pretty well and showing flashes. I guess Hanson has been very good out of the backfield and is quite dynamic. As with any freshman, I'd assume they'll get limited touches in the first few games before either makes a true stamp within the offense.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I was asking this the other day and someone more in the know than me said they're doing pretty well and showing flashes. I guess Hanson has been very good out of the backfield and is quite dynamic. As with any freshman, I'd assume they'll get limited touches in the first few games before either makes a true stamp within the offense.

I think he was banged up for a few games but it took until mid-October for Hall to really have it 'click'. There were just little glimmers of strong running in the first few games.

• Agree

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Our OL can only get better has been the motto for like 10 years.
I dunno I could have registered sacks and stops in the backfield against that group last year. They were that bad.

The false start penalties told the story, they had no continuity

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

Clone95

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 13, 2019
Can't argue with anyone predicting ISU to finish last, but, I think we're surprising teams, this year. I think 6-6 with wins over UNI, Ohio, Ok State, Cincy, KU, and 1 of TCU, BYU, Baylor, or TX.