RECRUITING: Alex Manske on being a top quarterback target, frontrunners in his recruitment

CycloneBob

Aug 9, 2010
Ames
It's not just Purdy. This is why it's so stupid for people to want to move on from Matt Campbell. Think about before him. Who could we point to in the NFL? Basically no skill players and mostly guys who played backup spots. Yes KO and AJ Klein were the exceptions. But nothing like what we have now. I'm not an NFL guy at all, but Sundays I'm tuning into the niners and jets every chance I get.
Don't forget the Lions (Montgomery)

algonacy

Feb 19, 2012
Iowa
Both players would be good pickups and both seem to be great kids (I live in the small town of Algona), but of the two I'd put all my effort into recruiting Limbaugh. I love his explosiveness. Manske is a great athlete though, which you could tailor to fill a lot of spots on the roster. I'm not 100% sold on his next level QB skills, but I'm often wrong on scouting talent.

Reactions: bozclone

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Both players would be good pickups and both seem to be great kids (I live in the small town of Algona), but of the two I'd put all my effort into recruiting Limbaugh. I love his explosiveness. Manske is a great athlete though, which you could tailor to fill a lot of spots on the roster. I'm not 100% sold on his next level QB skills, but I'm often wrong on scouting talent.

Agree. From Algona area also. Both young men have talents that could project to multiple positions. Both deserving of scholarship offers. Limbaugh possible TE/HBack besides DE. And heard the Iowa State OC Coordinator and DC Coordinator attended a live game this past year. Pretty strong recruiting effort it appears.

Reactions: aauummm

Allikat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2018
Sorry, haven't paid much attention to high school fotball. Is he good? Is he going to be ok with Rocco and Kohl in the program?
Unless there is a clear generational talent in the immediate class in front of a QB, I don't think who is there matters; particularly at Iowa State.

Really good players will go pro or get a bigger NIL check somewhere else (until we up our game). Marginal players will transfer out. Worst case scenario a 2025 recruit is sitting a year waiting for Becht/Kohl to be draft eligible.

Campbell has shown he will play true freshmen. Thus, an incoming recruit can become the next Purdy.

Particularly at QB, you always want a new recruit as a freshman.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Sorry, haven't paid much attention to high school fotball. Is he good? Is he going to be ok with Rocco and Kohl in the program?
Nothing against Kohl, but I doubt he is even here by the time Manske got on campus. Becht is going to be the starter for the next 3 years after this. Also, by the time Manske is a RS Fr. Becht will be gone.

nrg4isu

Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
Nothing against Kohl, but I doubt he is even here by the time Manske got on campus. Becht is going to be the starter for the next 3 years after this. Also, by the time Manske is a RS Fr. Becht will be gone.

One play (injury) can change that in an instant. I get what you're saying, but it's too early to make that call.

Kohl frankly was not ready this year. Next year, assuming he essentially is ready, would be the year for him to start looking around if Rocco gets all of the snaps.

• Agree
Reactions: Allikat and Cyhig

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
One play (injury) can change that in an instant. I get what you're saying, but it's too early to make that call.

Kohl frankly was not ready this year. Next year, assuming he essentially is ready, would be the year for him to start looking around if Rocco gets all of the snaps.
Sure, but I am just saying most likely. That's just the way things work these days.

Naddafinga

Aug 14, 2013
IA
I would think the coaches are going to make these guys compete again for the starting QB job next year regardless of this season. I think Kohl will still have his shot.

What about Hunter Dekkers? Anyone have any insights on that whole situation?

nrg4isu

Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
I would think the coaches are going to make these guys compete again for the starting QB job next year regardless of this season. I think Kohl will still have his shot.

It'll be Rocco's job to lose. Matt Campbell will definitely say that there will be a QB competition in the fall, but I'm not sure how you'd bench Rocco. It's not like KState with Howard (if he comes back) and Avery Johnson... Johnson showed what he could do on the field, Kohl hasn't yet.

Reactions: JimmyChitwood

Naddafinga

Aug 14, 2013
IA
It'll be Rocco's job to lose. Matt Campbell will definitely say that there will be a QB competition in the fall, but I'm not sure how you'd bench Rocco. It's not like KState with Howard (if he comes back) and Avery Johnson... Johnson showed what he could do on the field, Kohl hasn't yet.
Completely agree that it's Rocco's to lose.

Connor_Ferguson

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 9, 2019
He’s a good player. We also have Conner Moberly in the 2024 class. He’s the QB for Southeast Polk
Iowa State - and every power conference school - will have a quarterback commit in every class. They want depth in that position for obvious reasons. Think of the days of Kyle Kempt and prior when Iowa State didn't have the same guy start all 12 games in a long time. Injuries happen.

With the ability to transfer and not sit out a year, it's also not as much of a career throwaway to go anywhere with other top recruits at your spot, and not many think like that anyways. They're competitors, they'll have belief in themselves.

Would say it stands out that Iowa State has hit on their top quarterback target in the past three recruiting classes and if they land Manske, that turns in to 4. Good 'problem' to have.

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017

I think the staff would move on from Dekkers anyway. He simply made too many turnovers, especially in scoring areas.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I’m not counting on Rocco Becht being around the next three years.

He’s the same size and college as a red hot Brock Purdy—so NFL front offices will want to bottle the same thing—and his dad is a long time NFL player with connections all over the place.

If Rocco has a huge year next year—as is easily projectable—it’d hardly be a surprise to see him go pro. Two is possible, three not very likely.

Cy Guy69

Nov 2, 2023
Iowa HS football is not a gold mine, but it has been producing good talent for its size for a good decade or so. As an example, CO, MN and NE each would’ve had only one guy in Iowa’s top 5 in 2023. WI would’ve had zero. Iowa’s 8th ranked recruit (Smolick) is at Penn St. IA had guys at the bottom of the states top 20 go to Texas Tech, KU, ISU and Iowa.
It’s actually incredible how many hs kids end up going D1 in Iowa now. No idea what changed it as the state population has been pretty level. For context 29 players have received a D1 offer in 2024, just 11 in 2014.

Cy Guy69

Nov 2, 2023
Iowa State - and every power conference school - will have a quarterback commit in every class. They want depth in that position for obvious reasons. Think of the days of Kyle Kempt and prior when Iowa State didn't have the same guy start all 12 games in a long time. Injuries happen.

With the ability to transfer and not sit out a year, it's also not as much of a career throwaway to go anywhere with other top recruits at your spot, and not many think like that anyways. They're competitors, they'll have belief in themselves.

Would say it stands out that Iowa State has hit on their top quarterback target in the past three recruiting classes and if they land Manske, that turns in to 4. Good 'problem' to have.
This. While I’d hope Rocco plays for 4 years, it’s just very rare. I think before Purdy, you had to go back maybe Arnaud for a consistent career starter(though he suffered some injuries at the end).

And if JJ or Moberly beat out Rocco, that is a very good sign.