RECRUITING: Alex Manske on being a top quarterback target, frontrunners in his recruitment

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
I’m not counting on Rocco Becht being around the next three years.

He’s the same size and college as a red hot Brock Purdy—so NFL front offices will want to bottle the same thing—and his dad is a long time NFL player with connections all over the place.

If Rocco has a huge year next year—as is easily projectable—it’d hardly be a surprise to see him go pro. Two is possible, three not very likely.

If Rocco leaves early, it's much more likely that he does a Michael Penix/Sam Hartman transfer for money and/or a bigger stage instead of leaving for the NFL after 2024.

• Haha
Reactions: Aclone

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
If Rocco leaves early, it's much more likely that he does a Michael Penix/Sam Hartman transfer for money and/or a bigger stage instead of leaving for the NFL after 2024.
Umm…no.

It’s like some of you come up with these scenarios, without paying any attention to who the kid or his family are whatsoever.

Pretty much the same folks who’ve constantly thought Matt Campbell was going to jump somewhere for big money, I suppose.

• Haha
Reactions: cyIclSoneU

nrg4isu

Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
Umm…no.

It’s like some of you come up with these scenarios, without paying any attention to who the kid or his family are whatsoever.

Pretty much the same folks who’ve constantly thought Matt Campbell was going to jump somewhere for big money, I suppose.

Of the 3 options (stay 4 years, transfer, go pro early), I'd guess that staying 4 years is the most likely. While I love Brock Purdy and what he's done in the NFL has definitely opened some eyes, expecting a repeat from Rocco is a stretch. I'd love to be wrong and for ISU to become an NFL QB pipeline, but I'm not convinced that NFL GMs are going to suddenly look at ISU with a completely different lens.

Rocco does look a LOT like Purdy, with some areas being even better and others not quite as good. He's going to have a lot of the same knocks Purdy had when it comes to being drafted: height and arm strength being top of that list. He'll also have some of the strengths, decision making (to a greater extent so far), accuracy (to a lesser extent), etc. Will that be enough to be drafted early (versus being the last draft pick overall)? Personally, I'm not at all convinced. I expect he'll probably be here 4 years.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Umm…no.

“Our players are just different” is gonna be the rallying cry for programs like ISU right up to when their QB gets bought by a B1G or SEC school. Sorry, but that’s the new normal. It sucks and it’s reality; both are true

907CY

Jan 30, 2010
Northern Polk County
Isn't there a third player out of Algona that interests us? He could even be out of Algona Garrigan, as they did have a state-champion team this year.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Of the 3 options (stay 4 years, transfer, go pro early), I'd guess that staying 4 years is the most likely. While I love Brock Purdy and what he's done in the NFL has definitely opened some eyes, expecting a repeat from Rocco is a stretch. I'd love to be wrong and for ISU to become an NFL QB pipeline, but I'm not convinced that NFL GMs are going to suddenly look at ISU with a completely different lens.

Rocco does look a LOT like Purdy, with some areas being even better and others not quite as good. He's going to have a lot of the same knocks Purdy had when it comes to being drafted: height and arm strength being top of that list. He'll also have some of the strengths, decision making (to a greater extent so far), accuracy (to a lesser extent), etc. Will that be enough to be drafted early (versus being the last draft pick overall)? Personally, I'm not at all convinced. I expect he'll probably be here 4 years.
I feel like Rocco is the same player with less gun slinger in him. Imo he's better than Purdy at the same point of their careers. See how high his ceiling is next year.

• Agree
Reactions: nrg4isu

FLYINGCYCLONE

Aug 27, 2022
LuVerne Iowa
Isn't there a third player out of Algona that interests us? He could even be out of Algona Garrigan, as they did have a state-champion team this year.
There is a big lineman from BGHS that was looked at a little bit by ISU, but he is going to Wayne State in Nebraska.

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
Of the 3 options (stay 4 years, transfer, go pro early), I'd guess that staying 4 years is the most likely. While I love Brock Purdy and what he's done in the NFL has definitely opened some eyes, expecting a repeat from Rocco is a stretch.

An indirect comment: Brock started 3-1/2 years, not 4.

It's irritating to me (anyone else here?) that commentators compare Rocco's freshman season with Brock's first year as a starter. Not directly comparable.

This is not one whit a complaint about Rocco, love the guy. But apples should not be compared to oranges in such a situation. There, I said it ;-)

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I feel like Rocco is the same player with less gun slinger in him. Imo he's better than Purdy at the same point of their careers. See how high his ceiling is next year.

Rocco is doing very well but Purdy’s signature pump fake move gives the nod to him. Purdy’s breakout game against Oklahoma State was unbelievable. Iowa State was absolutely having a disastrous season until we played Purdy. Then the winning started. Purdy was the reason.

Reactions: Arkansas Cyclone

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
“Our players are just different” is gonna be the rallying cry for programs like ISU right up to when their QB gets bought by a B1G or SEC school. Sorry, but that’s the new normal. It sucks and it’s reality; both are true
Yes, it’s so normal that we’ve lost a grand total of two players in the NIL era.

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
Yes, it’s so normal that we’ve lost a grand total of two players in the NIL era.
Not that you are wrong but those new tv contracts are just starting or will start next year. Who knows what will happen once that starts rolling.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Logan Nemmers BGHS played Center. Projected as a Tackle. 6’6” 325 lbs or so. Big and strong. Was the Hog of the Game in Championship. 8 man might have limited him and he will major adjustments from the 8 man game. Committed to Wayne State.

• Creative
Reactions: Aclone