RECRUITING: Football commits

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
Maybe his senior film wasnt the best? maybe a better JUCO came along. if he's not good enough to play right away, I'm ok wit it.
They are limited on scholarships, they need immediate help, they now know this that they didn't when he committed

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Maybe his senior film wasnt the best? maybe a better JUCO came along. if he's not good enough to play right away, I'm ok wit it.
They are limited on scholarships, they need immediate help, they now know this that they didn't when he committed

You don't see any downside to this? So we go offer a JUCO OL that we consider to be "better", but then the JUCO turns us down because he's heard we don't honor commitments and he wants to know he has a place to land come signing day.

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
You don't see any downside to this? So we go offer a JUCO OL that we consider to be "better", but then the JUCO turns us down because he's heard we don't honor commitments and he wants to know he has a place to land come signing day.

Every school does this. We just happened to have a guy tweet about it.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Something isn't right about this. Stansbury's article said he was our highest rated OL recruit for next year, why would you ask him of all the recruits to greyshirt? Why not one of the other OL recruits that aren't maybe as touted as he is?

Coaches may know something we don't, but with all we know right now I can say I don't like it.

The coaches either think he isn't as good as the other recruits (most likely), or they are more worried about keeping the other recruits coaches happy.

This is a normal part of recruiting, happens all the time, not a big deal.

Bryce7

May 4, 2016
Will Farniok just earned the "Best Lineman" award after Sioux Falls Washington defended their South Dakota class AAA State Championship. We need to be on baby Farniok like ugly on an ape.
Yeeewww. Too graphic.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Am I the only one who thought it was odd he'd enroll in January? Why would ISU burn a school for half a year? Something isn't right here.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
It stinks for him, but I would guess the staff didn't think as much of him now as they did this past summer. Hopefully he finds a place that will make him happy.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
It stinks for him, but I would guess the staff didn't think as much of him now as they did this past summer. Hopefully he finds a place that will make him happy.
Based on his current 247 profile, he'll find happiness in the MAC.

acody

Nov 25, 2006
This doesn't sound good at all.

I know kids de-commit all the time, but I don't like it when coaches do it to the kids basically. I hold coaching staffs to a higher level of maturity than high school kids.

I don't think we will get anywhere if we're known as the school that doesn't keep their commitments to kids. Who in their right mind would want to commit here?

I hope this isn't true.

Amusing to read the slanted "we recruited over him" type comments. Always sounds like excuse/sour grapes. Didn't know we had that luxury. I would agree with the comment that ISU willl not get anywhere if we're known as the school that doesn't keep their commitments to recruits. The OL recruit from IL threw the ISU coaching staff under the bus with the "if you commit to us, we'll commit to you" or if we commit to you, you should commit to us "comment. Seems like it's a one way street for either one of the parties who doesn't like the scenario. Or is it just normal college recruiting.

• Disagree
Reactions: DhaCheann

DhaCheann

Mar 31, 2012
Denver, CO
Amusing to read the slanted "we recruited over him" type comments. Always sounds like excuse/sour grapes. Didn't know we had that luxury. I would agree with the comment that ISU willl not get anywhere if we're known as the school that doesn't keep their commitments to recruits. The OL recruit from IL threw the ISU coaching staff under the bus with the "if you commit to us, we'll commit to you" or if we commit to you, you should commit to us "comment. Seems like it's a one way street for either one of the parties who doesn't like the scenario. Or is it just normal college recruiting.

ISU honored his scholarship, they just wanted him to greyshirt. He's crazy if he thought he would've played in his first year anyway

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
People need to relax. This isn't a black mark against ISU in other recruits eyes or lack of commitment to honor scholarship offers. If this becomes a regular occurance, yes. But if it happens every few years, no big deal.

I find some people getting all excited pretty funny. If ISU had approached the kid and said they were pulling his scholarship because his senior tape wasn't good, people would be applauding the staff.

Also, we are taking the kids word for what happened or may not have the full back story. As much as it would sbe great to due right by each kid as an individual. But in the end, the staff's job is to do what is best for the team of 100 kids.

• Agree
Reactions: demoncore1031

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA

No school keeps their commitments to recruits. This guy just chose to "throw the coaches under the bus" as you say, because he was pissed he was asked to delay his roster spot on the team on full scholarship 4 months. That's it.

Remember when Hoiberg signed Monte Morris under the impression he was our guy at PG? Then he flat out CUT Richard Armadi to make room for Deandre Kane at the last minute? Monte was not happy and said so in interviews.

The difference in this case is that Armadi wasn't a ***** and tweet about it, even though he had more reason to be pissed. His scholarship was actually revoked so we could get Kane.

Anyway... I bet this guy burned all his bridges with this coaching staff.

@isufbcurt am I off base?

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: isufbcurt

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
Don't know this situation, but Campbell has used gray shirts as a way to upgrade talent quicker than you normally could. Anyway, here is a hypothetical. You commit to a date with a good looking girl. A day later a little better looking girl whom you also asked out calls and says she is available on the same night your other date is scheduled. What do you do? I reschedule with the first girl and end up having to dates with good looking females. Life is good.

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
Don't know this situation, but Campbell has used gray shirts as a way to upgrade talent quicker than you normally could. Anyway, here is a hypothetical. You commit to a date with a good looking girl. A day later a little better looking girl whom you also asked out calls and says she is available on the same night your other date is scheduled. What do you do? I reschedule with the first girl and end up having to dates with good looking females. Life is good.

While your analogy works, I doubt most of CF will be able to relate.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com

Should you use "The Hot Cosby" on the first or 2nd girl?