RECRUITING: Players Iowa State is involved with during the spring cycle

kccyclone3

May 16, 2015
Any chance that being linked to so many players could come back to hurt us? Just thinking as a transfer with so many other names being thrown around could be difficult to determine how their playing time would shake out/ offense is ran.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I actually don't really want two of the grad guards. I think Wigginton deserves a clear path to start and I'd like 2 sit outs. Shayok/Koulechov for the next two years, juiston, and somebody like Morrow would be my wish list.

I agree. I don't see us taking two of the wings unless we miss on Juiston and decide we have to play small again.

In that case, you're looking at a 4 guard line up anyway, so taking two might make sense.

I don't see us getting two regardless, since there is some good competition recruiting all 3 of them.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
I actually don't really want two of the grad guards. I think Wigginton deserves a clear path to start and I'd like 2 sit outs. Shayok/Koulechov for the next two years, juiston, and somebody like Morrow would be my wish list.

Egor would play the 3 spot where MT left off..basically identical type players. I think bringing in 2 grad guards with one playing the 3 spot leaves u 3 kids playing 2 spots. What I think is Prohm wants to keep the ncaa streak going and simply counting on 2-3 freshman to do it is a bit much.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyke

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Any chance that being linked to so many players could come back to hurt us? Just thinking as a transfer with so many other names being thrown around could be difficult to determine how their playing time would shake out/ offense is ran.

I don't think so, particularly with 4 available scholarships. Usually these guys want to A) play and B) win, and we have a lot of PT available, and need the extra quality bodies to win.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park

Yeah, let's be the only school who only recruits the number of guys as scholarships we have, and he sure not to get too many players to avoid hurt feelings. Good lord.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
You don't pass on those type of guys imo, but I doubt it will matter. Wigginton deserves to start?

I guess I value next year so much I'd prefer no more than 1 sit out. Ideally we'd land some combo of Juiston, Brown, Koulechov, Alstork, Edwards, Brooks, and Johnson. Shayok'a best attribute imo is that we're likely a favorite.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

I see it as a positive. It puts pressure on the guard to commit earlier rather than take all their visits. If Edwards would have committed early this week I doubt the staff would be as focused on grad transfer guards.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA

I look at it from the opposite perspective and say it takes pressure off of Wigginton to come in and put up big numbers right away. Remember how pissed Monte' was when Kane was brought in, but how thankful he was after it was all said and done?

Julston is a pretty obvious #1 target imo, but the scoring, rebounding and 3 point % for Egor make him 1A for me.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I look at it from the opposite perspective and say it takes pressure off of Wigginton to come in and put up big numbers right away. Remember how pissed Monte' was when Kane was brought in, but how thankful he was after it was all said and done?

Julston is a pretty obvious #1 target imo, but the scoring, rebounding and 3 point % for Egor make him 1A for me.

Yeah, a five star recruit who excels at scoring and will leave early for the NBA can't handle the pressure of starting right away.

Obviously he has to win the starting job, it's just kind of assumed he will.

And I think you mean to say Egor is 1B, if Juiston is 1A.

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
Just changed the list because I included Seattle Seahawks defensive tackle Garrison Smith on the list instead of four-star recruit Garrison Brooks. Not sure why I keep thinking its Smith.
Apparently a wide body...a space eater!!

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Yeah, a five star recruit who excels at scoring and will leave early for the NBA can't handle the pressure of starting right away.

Don't spend much time at the horse track?

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
My wish list is probably:
Juiston
Brown/Koulechov
Brooks
Morrow/Shayok

---> Similar to others’ comments, batting even .750 on available prospects would be an exciting haul.

---> I’m among those who has hunch Brown goes to UO or Gonzaga.

• Agree
Reactions: CyberJJJ

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
Yeah, let's be the only school who only recruits the number of guys as scholarships we have, and he sure not to get too many players to avoid hurt feelings. Good lord.

"I don't think it's a good idea to be the only school that recruits just the number of guys to match the open scholarships we have, nor is it a good idea probably to limit the number of players you get to avoid hurt feelings."

Snarky is a crummy way to treat fellow Cyclone fans, try being nice. Or, maybe it's not in your nature. Even if you don't like it, try it, your compadres here are sure to appreciate it.

Reactions: t-noah

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Great coverage on this CBB free-agency period. Looking forward to how the next 3 weekend visits pan out.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA

Where did I say he's not starting? I said it would help with the pressure of feeling like he has to put up big numbers right away. Babb is probably the odd man out of the starting spot if we land Brown, Egor, or Alstork.

And no, I meant 1 and 1A. It's probably a different way of saying the same thing you did, but I said it the way I wanted to.

CycloneBBFan

Dec 21, 2015
Egor would play the 3 spot where MT left off..basically identical type players. I think bringing in 2 grad guards with one playing the 3 spot leaves u 3 kids playing 2 spots. What I think is Prohm wants to keep the ncaa streak going and simply counting on 2-3 freshman to do it is a bit much.

Last year Egor averaged 18 ppg, 9 rebounds, and shot 47% from 3's. With all due respect to MT I wouldn't classify them as identical.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

I don't know how good Egor is, but I think Matt's probably a far superior perimeter defender. Egor's been on some bad defensive teams and it's looks like he's guarded more forward-type players rather than B12 level guards.

Last edited: