Recruits & Transfers

4theheckofit

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2013
So in basketball and football I 100% understand NIL and basically paying those kids...but in Olympic sports where there's very little monetary value, isn't NIL nothing but a pay check?

I know how that sounds, but the way NIL is set up now, non-revenue sports don't exactly fit....unless you're making a few hundred dollars to promote a t-shirt or something.

Reactions: CyCloneRastlinG

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
So in basketball and football I 100% understand NIL and basically paying those kids...but in Olympic sports where there's very little monetary value, isn't NIL nothing but a pay check?

I know how that sounds, but the way NIL is set up now, non-revenue sports don't exactly fit....unless you're making a few hundred dollars to promote a t-shirt or something.
There are some serious boosters that love wrestling that pay big $$ for these kids to wrestle at their favorite school. Additionally, RTCs can be used for NIL since they aren't tied to the university. That is why donating to the CRTC is extremely important for the Cyclone wrestling team. WeWill only supports football, mens basketball, and womens basketball at this time (from what I understand), so the CRTC is the best way to get the wrestling team some NIL dollars.

4theheckofit

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2013
There are some serious boosters that love wrestling that pay big $$ for these kids to wrestle at their favorite school. Additionally, RTCs can be used for NIL since they aren't tied to the university. That is why donating to the CRTC is extremely important for the Cyclone wrestling team. WeWill only supports football, mens basketball, and womens basketball at this time (from what I understand), so the CRTC is the best way to get the wrestling team some NIL dollars.
Ya I get all of that but what I'm trying to say is talking about the spirit of the rule. Which I know is long past ever going back in the bottle...but wrestling NIL is nothing more than the biggest paycheck. With basically no return revenue wise, back to the university.

Basketball and football there is definitely revenue returned back to the university with NIL athletes. (At least there's a chance I should say)

• Winner

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
Ya I get all of that but what I'm trying to say is talking about the spirit of the rule. Which I know is long past ever going back in the bottle...but wrestling NIL is nothing more than the biggest paycheck. With basically no return revenue wise, back to the university.

Basketball and football there is definitely revenue returned back to the university with NIL athletes. (At least there's a chance I should say)

NIL $$$ doesn’t come from the schools.

It’s about a paycheck in every sport, and it comes from people who care about whatever sport is in question. Has nothing to do with return to a school and all about perceived value to the donor. That’s why the biggest wrestling schools have the $ and others don’t.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: stuclone and buf87

Tigerguy_

Sep 26, 2020

And you just explained the success of Penn State when a guy writes a seven figure check to see the sport he cares about succeed

• Agree
Reactions: csteve

BikeSkiClone

Jul 25, 2014
NIL is great in the sense that kids should be able to make money for their performances. I struggle with offering a high school kid a massive NIL deal because of the risk of them not panning out. Maybe offer some NIL with the caveat that if they get on campus and perform, more will come.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m pretty sure all NIL deals have to be approved by the compliance office in a school’s athletic department, with all terms of the agreement(s) laid out and signed by all parties. And they cannot be performance related in any way.

Anything gifted or paid to a student athlete outside of what the school has on file is still considered a non-permissible/illegal benefit that could result in penalties for the team, athlete, and/or athletic dept.

• Winner

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m pretty sure all NIL deals have to be approved by the compliance office in a school’s athletic department, with all terms of the agreement(s) laid out and signed by all parties. And they cannot be performance related in any way.

Anything gifted or paid to a student athlete outside of what the school has on file is still considered a non-permissible/illegal benefit that could result in penalties for the team, athlete, and/or athletic dept.
Performance as in the better they do, the bigger their brand becomes, the higher their NIL value becomes. Not an NIL deal specifically tied to how they perform match to match

4theheckofit

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2013
We need to have this forum meet once a month somewhere over a beer so I can articulate my point better. LOL...

My comments were meant to be just that, comments.

This is why society has gone to $hit...everyone reads texts/emails in their own connotation....haha

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Read that Caitlin Clark has $3 million in NIL deals.

Not sure on the reporting of them to the compliance department

• Wow
Reactions: LSGOST8

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
I would bet a large amount of money that not all of Bouzakis, Mendez, and Davino end their careers at Ohio State. All basically 133 pounders and all are elite level guys
I heard Mendez was struggling quite a bit to make 133 by end of season. I’d bet he fits in nicely at 141 after a redshirt year

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I do not believe that is correct but the easy way to answer is to bat signal @brentblum

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
There’s basically minimal NIL money in wrestling. Kids are trying to sell t-shirts to make an extra dollar - look at David Carr and Spencer Lee. Show me an actual legitimate article talking about a real NIL deal they have. Spencer has a partnership with Rudis but has no gear to speak of yet. What we do have is illegal money to pay athletes to come wrestle for a school - pay to play. NIL coming from the clubs and donors is supposed to have a monetary value on it to show up for a signing, give a talk or speech, do a camp or clinic, advertise and market a product or service.

“ In the simplest of terms, Name, Image and Likeness (NIL) is a term that describes the means through which college athletes are allowed to receive financial compensation. NIL refers to the use of an athlete’s name, image, and likeness through marketing and promotional endeavors. This can include autograph signings, product endorsements, social media posts, and more.”

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
There’s basically minimal NIL money in wrestling. Kids are trying to sell t-shirts to make an extra dollar - look at David Carr and Spencer Lee. Show me an actual legitimate article talking about a real NIL deal they have. Spencer has a partnership with Rudis but has no gear to speak of yet. What we do have is illegal money to pay athletes to come wrestle for a school - pay to play. NIL coming from the clubs and donors is supposed to have a monetary value on it to show up for a signing, give a talk or speech, do a camp or clinic, advertise and market a product or service.

“ In the simplest of terms, Name, Image and Likeness (NIL) is a term that describes the means through which college athletes are allowed to receive financial compensation. NIL refers to the use of an athlete’s name, image, and likeness through marketing and promotional endeavors. This can include autograph signings, product endorsements, social media posts, and more.”

I think a lot of these schools pay the wrestlers through the RTC to show up and run or participate in workouts or promote/run camps.

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
I think a lot of these schools pay the wrestlers through the RTC to show up and run or participate in workouts or promote/run camps.
Yeah and that has to go through compliance and have a “reasonable” monetary value placed on it from everything I’ve heard and read. So a kid can’t make $20k to promote and run a camp when they don’t have that value. They are able to use NIL right now for summer camps and clinics which I’ve heard some of the numbers they earn and it’s good for these kids.

Reactions: stuclone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Yeah and that has to go through compliance and have a “reasonable” monetary value placed on it from everything I’ve heard and read. So a kid can’t make $20k to promote and run a camp when they don’t have that value. They are able to use NIL right now for summer camps and clinics which I’ve heard some of the numbers they earn and it’s good for these kids.
If your RTC has a large pool, that can be tossed around that if you wrestle for it after college we will magically have this stipend that seems to pay off your loan/s from college.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
A lot of the CRTC money does get tied to showing up at fundraisers and social events. I think part of the deal is to be at the various summer fundraisers, such as Humboldt, Ankeny, etc

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
A lot of the CRTC money does get tied to showing up at fundraisers and social events. I think part of the deal is to be at the various summer fundraisers, such as Humboldt, Ankeny, etc
I know I know I'm going to sound like a broken record but I do enjoy it when there is some sort of community aspect to the funds.

I'm confident every athlete knows what it means to the fans to be able to interact with them and beyond that when you get young kids involved to see how their entire world lights up when someone like Marcus or DC or Casey etc takes even a few seconds to take a picture or talk to them it is awesome. Honestly, if me giving a few hundred here and there throughout the year means some kid gets to have their picture taken with say Paniro because he gets some spending cash to show up it's worth it to me 110%.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron