Remaining Schedule

Jistatechamp

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 26, 2007
if we somehow get 22 wins we will be in the ncaa tourney i dont know how thats gonna happen and id give us about a 1 outta 1000 chance
so im sayin theres a chance

Oldgeezer

Mar 18, 2006
Waukon, Iowa
ISU does not do well against teams with strong front courts. That takes us out of the picture against OK, KU, and TA&M. Beasley is a strong front court all by himself. The rest are winnable, if we somehow find way to slow Maric. 8-8 is doable, anything better is a dream.

price26

Sep 1, 2006
Ames, IA
@ Nebraska
vs. Texas A&M
vs. Texas
@ Oklahoma
vs. Nebraska
@ Texas Tech
vs. Kansas
@ Colorado
@ Missouri
vs. K-State

I realistically think we could go 6-4 if Wes is healthy for sure. 6-4 would be a bit of a stretch if he isn't healthy, it will be hard to get by teams like A&M and Texas without him.

I think we should be able to beat Nebraska twice as well as Colorado and Missouri at their places. Outside of that we are a bad road team, I would put Texas Tech at a bit of a stretch. We are not a very good road team, we have one win away from Hilton on a non-neutral court, so we are 1-6 at other team's places and the one win took overtime, including three blowout losses. But Colorado isn't a very good team, and usually doesn't have much of a fan base for basketball anyways, and if Hannah is still missing, I think we have a even better chance to win in Columbia.

I know that A&M and Texas are good teams, but we are currently 11-2 at home this season. Texas lost at Missouri, struggled at home versus Colorado, and just barely survived at OSU. Texas A&M just beat down Texas last night, I think this is the game we will have to sneak away with, even more so the the Texas game, I think Clark can handle Augustin for most of the game, but Texas A&M's frontcourt will give our big men troubles.

Kansas is obviously just too good for us to stay with them even at home, and Beasley is just a monster who will probably dominate us again unless he happens to get in foul trouble or get hurt.

wesley_w

Oct 23, 2006
I always break it down in terms of road vs home games. IF we can hold it to 2 home losses and somehow get 3 road wins we would end up 9-7. I see 3 very possible road wins at NU, CU and MU. I don't know a thing about TTech. That means only two losses between Texas, A&M, KU and KSU.
I know we are winless in conf on the road, but I think we've probably got our three toughest road games out of the way so I'm still optimistic.

Yeah, I drink a lot of Cyclone kool-aid but I think it's doable!! :smile:

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
To those of you that think beating A&M is a realistic thing - did ya watch the game last night? Anyone?

I think we have a chance to win that game, don't get me wrong - but the Aggies are starting to look strong. Keep in mind that their 3 conferences losses were at Tech, at KSU and a 5OT thriller with a pretty good Baylor team. A person could contend they never should have lost to Tech and I would agree.

We could beat this team but I don't see it as being labeled "realistic".

I still like our chances against Texas as I noted a week or so ago. That team is vastly overrated. To me, that one is realistic - but would require a healthy Wes - which is very much in doubt - and a solid team game.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
@ Nebraska
vs. Texas A&M
vs. Texas
@ Oklahoma

vs. Nebraska
@ Texas Tech
vs. Kansas
@ Colorado
@ Missouri

vs. K-State

The ones I have in GREEN are the ones I see us winning
The ones I have in ORANGE are the ones that I think can go either way.
The ones I have in RED are the ones I think we're going to lose.

I think there are 4 definite wins remaining on the schedule, 5 that I think can go either way, and one that I think we're definitely going to lose. I think of those "maybes," Texas Tech and Oklahoma are the most likely, as both are BAD this year, but I'm hesitant to count those as wins because of our performances on the road this year. I have included K-State, Texas, and Texas A&M as "maybes" (with K-State being the least likely of the three) because we get all three of those at Hilton and hopefully the "Magic" will be alive and well those evenings. Kansas is the only definite loss I see in this as we were basically beaten to a pulp by them inside. Perhaps I should include K-State in the same category as Kansas, but the way I've heard that game interpreted the reason we lost by 25 to them is because we simply went ice cold in the second half. If that's the case, then we have a chance at the game.

Personally, I think we're going to beat Nebraska (twice), Colorado, and Missouri. I think we'll split Oklahoma and Texas Tech, and we'll win one of the three between Texas, aTm, and K-State. That gives us 6 wins out of our last 10, and a 9-7 record in the Big XII. IMO we would have to do serious damage in the Big XII Tournament to get a bid to the dance.

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
You really do gotta give as much credit to the coaches for the CU victory as the bench players. You could tell the bench players knew what to do. They knew where to be on the floor. The followed the offensive sets. It was well played basketball in the second half. These players aren't out on the floor making this stuff up. They have been coached to play that way. I'd say a lot of that was coaching. What we saw is exactly how Greg was able to take small town Iowa kids and win and UNI. It was structured, disciplined basketball.

Back to the orignal post: I'd be happy if we could win 5 more games. I'd say we win both NU games, A&M at Hilton, CU on the road, and MU on the road. But even that is saying a lot. 5 games and I'd be very satisfied with this season.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
To those of you that think beating A&M is a realistic thing - did ya watch the game last night? Anyone?

I did. The game last night was in College Station, and they were playing a mediocre (for them) Texas team. Playing in Ames could be a far different concern. Home court makes an immense difference--for both teams.

However, while I might optimistically agree with faintly possible 8-2, this might be one of the losses.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Well of course home court is a big advantage - A&M was playing in front of a record crowd last night. I still think they're much better than us and it would take a near-perfect game from our guys to win. Not impossible, but certainly not "realistic".

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Being very optimistic, I feel that we could go 8 -2. If we can do that and win 2 in Kansas City does it get us into the tournament? We would be 23-11 if that happened. However, I don't know if we have enough quality wins.

@ Nebraska
vs. Texas A&M
vs. Texas
@ Oklahoma
vs. Nebraska
@ Texas Tech
vs. Kansas
@ Colorado
@ Missouri
vs. K-State

Also, I feel that it actually might be better for us to get the fifth seed in the conference tournament instead of getting a bye. If we get the fifth seed we will play the 12th seed (Probably Nebraska of Colorado) and then play the forth seed (Probably Baylor or Texas) before we would have to play the number 1 seed.

I like your optimism....but you be CRAZY!

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
@ Nebraska
vs. Texas A&M
vs. Texas
@ Oklahoma
vs. Nebraska
@ Texas Tech
vs. Kansas
@ Colorado
@ Missouri
vs. K-State

The ones I have in GREEN are the ones I see us winning
The ones I have in ORANGE are the ones that I think can go either way.
The ones I have in RED are the ones I think we're going to lose.

Since we've only won ONE road game this year, and that was against OSU who is quite possibly one of the worst teams in a BCS conference, I just can't chalk up any road game as a game we should win. Since we also don't know the status of Wesley, there isn't a game in the near future that we "should" win especially considering he could be out for all of them. Hannah will probably be back by the time we play Mizzou and they smoked UT at home and played Kansas very tough, they are a very solid home team. K-State just annhilated us in a game that wasn't remotely competitive and so there is no way I am going to even pick that game as a tossup.

As it stands with Wesley being injured I'm predicting a 6-10 finish again and would be thrilled with 7-9.

Last edited:

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I'm feeling optimistic about home games in general. Texas and Texas A&M seem to really struggle on the road. Missouri might be out of players, depending on how long the "indefinite" suspensions really last, and Colorado really isn't very good at all.

I'm feeling good about the rest of the year!

Reactions: ISUAgronomist

cyclone14

Jan 2, 2007
I think of those "maybes," Texas Tech and Oklahoma are the most likely, as both are BAD this year, but I'm hesitant to count those as wins because of our performances on the road this year.

I'm a little curious as to how you think Oklahoma is bad, have you watched any games? They're over .500 in the conference and a bubble team.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I'm a little curious as to how you think Oklahoma is bad, have you watched any games? They're over .500 in the conference and a bubble team.

Ok, bad might be the wrong term. Not to their usual strength may be the better term. Point is, we're at .500, with our 3 losses coming to Kansas, K-State, and Baylor, 3 of the top 5 teams in the conference. And they're coming to Hilton. We definitely have a chance at this game.

scottie33

Nov 25, 2006
Ames, Iowa
8-2!! I want what your having!!

We scored 15 points in the first half against the worst team in the Big 12. Our best offensive player just re-injured his foot. We still have games against KU,KSU, Tex, A&M, and a healthy OU team. If we go 6-4, I will feel ever so confident that McDermott is the right man for the job.

Does anyone realize we just beat a Big 12 team (ok a bad one) with 3 walk ons playing a lot of minutes? Not a lot of teams could pull that off. I think that is a testament to the great job Coach and his assistants are doing with these players

I think it is a great job the coaches are doing, but I think where all this walk-on's finding success all starts on the Defensive end of the floor. Haluska shut down Roby and had to be annoying him, Cam Lee played a helluva defensve game against #1, and Peterson protected the ball well like always. When you can play well on defense, it helps you play well on offense. I can't remember what announcers that said it, but they said something around the lines of "playing good defense will jump start your offense" It's not exactly from somewhat close.

zimman18

Apr 7, 2006
www.drinkingrisk.com
End of year predictions as of 02/01/08

We are currently 3-2 in Big 12 play. Our remaining schedule is:

at Nebraska (W)
TEXAS AM (L)
TEXAS (L)
at Oklahoma (L)
NEBRASKA (W)
at TexasTech (L)
Kansas (L)
at Colorado (W)
at Missou (L)
K-STATE (L)

One thing I have noticed, is that when we keep games close, we come out on top. All of our losses seem like they have been over double digits. The top of the big 12 is damn good, and the bottom is stinky bad. Unfortunately, 75% of the teams we play down the stretch are up top. We finish 6-10, unless we can win 2 games we aren't suppose to. I think those are most like against A&M at home and at Missou. If that happens, finishing 8-8 in conference, we feasibly have a chance at getting in the big dance, if we can win 2 games at the Big 12 tourney. That's right, I said it.... I have an ounce of optimism left.

Thoughts? Opinions?

cyismydog

Apr 13, 2006
Re: End of year predictions as of 02/01/08

We are actually 3-3 in big 12 play

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
Re: End of year predictions as of 02/01/08

We NEED to win this weekend. If we do, it will presumably set up a contest with A&M for sole posession of 4th in the Big 12. We may still get 9-7. Tech is beatable and I think we get both Mizzou and CU on the road. These next 2 games are key.
Hope everyone shows up in full force Tuesday night.