REPORT: Iowa State in contact with Morehead State transfer, No. 7 nationally in assists

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
Two seasons of nearly 40% from 3 before a "down" year at around 33% this year. Great assist numbers and good rebounding numbers, big enough to play off the ball I would imagine.

Early in the process I'm sure, but sign me up. Also he's definitely an all-name team guy.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Curious why we're recruiting multiple point guards in Williams and Cooper. Strange.
Because if you're a pg at 6'3" and 6'5", you're also a 2/3.

He was listed as a combo out of high school. A 6'3" pg that shoots well on 3Ps and is a low volume guy fits on every team. If he plays defense well, it is a super low risk addition. I mean, it sounds like Grill but with a better handle.

He is also the teammate of an elite big that is transferring.

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
Because if you're a pg at 6'3" and 6'5", you're also a 2/3.

He was listed as a combo out of high school. A 6'3" pg that shoots well on 3Ps and is a low volume guy fits on every team. If he plays defense well, it is a super low risk addition.

He is also the teammate of an elite big that is transferring.
If they're in any way a package deal, "having" to take a guy who averaged 9/6/5ish to get a guy like Broome is about as good as it gets. Cooper also does have two nearly 40% seasons from beyond the arc.

Even without Broome, I like what Cooper brings a lot.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
It's also possible we contacted him before Williams committed. We are definitely in the upper tier of his list.

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
How many point guards do we need?
We need threats to break down the defense from every position.

Think of how easy we were to guard this year. Now get more guys that can get out and lead the break. Also to break down defenses in the half court, and get to the rim, to get good looks for themselves and their teammates

We get enough of those guys, and we probably won’t set anymore records for lowest points scored at home

NiceMarmot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2017
How many point guards do we need?
I think most fans are overestimating the impact Lipsey, Eli King, and Watson will have. Only 3 true freshmen in the Big 12 got consistent playing time last season (Hunter, Kendall Brown, Sochan). Those last two guys are NBA 1st rounders if they both declare. The league has become a veterans/experienced players league. You need grown men, and there will be huge adjustment periods for all 3 freshmen next season. If we want to make a leap, those guys need competition at their position. Look at Kansas. They had three top-100 guys come in last summer, and all 3 barely played the entire tourney run.

So just assume all 3 might struggle to contribute and Lipsey/King won't really play much at PG. Hunter is our starting PG, it looks like Jeremiah Williams might be a combo guard, and we should grab another combo guard. When Baylor won it all in 2021, they had 4 point guards/combo guards in their rotation in Butler, Mitchell, Teague, and Flagler. Every tournament, people talk about teams with good guard play will have an advantage. You can never have too many.