Report: OU & Texas reach out to join SEC

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
OU and UT getting out of this scot free is way less likely than some people seem to think. Any school that doesn’t get a very comfortable landing (think KU and ISU in the B1G or WVU in the ACC type of landing) is going to sue. Whether or not the conference formally dissolves. There will be some sort of settlement. It will likely be large. And OU/UT won’t really care because the new 16-team SEC is going to be a financial behemoth. But they will be able to, like, pay Baylor enough money to keep Scott Drew in the American for a while.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Nope, if ESPN doesn't step up and increase ACC rights fees, I'm sure Clemson, UNC, Notre Dame, etc. will be more than willing to listen to Big10 as well as SEC.

According to the GOR, they couldn't listen to either without giving away media rights through 2036.

HighOnCy

Jan 6, 2009
Kansas City
I'd assume that as part of the big 12 conference agreement among schools that there would be some sort of morality clause among the schools. UT and OU working on this deal possibly 6 months in advance of notifying anyone else sure seems like operating in bad faith to me...

Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
I’m still not convinced the political willingness is there on both sides. I think the Texas and Oklahoma legislatures will both want to be convinced their other schools will have stable landing places.

I’m also not totally convinced the SEC is going to have enough buy in. Texas A&M is a clear no. Missouri I think is likely a no as they know how Texas operates. Maybe they can get enough but I wouldn’t be happy if I were one of those schools. Texas brings a lot of money but they are a cancer.

Assuming that is the case it doesn’t necessarily mean the GOR gets extended.
I mean, wouldn’t it be so Texas if the blew up the Big XII, got blocked from the SEC by former conference mates (A&M, Mizzou, AR) + 1, and the Texas Legislature tells them to stay put.

Meanwhile, everyone else finds a landing spot except Baylor. OU and OSU to the SEC, WV to the ACC, ISU and KU to the Big 10 and the rest to the PAC. 8-2 vote to disband the league, with Texas and Baylor as the 2.

Unlikely, I know. But a guy can dream, right?

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I'd assume that as part of the big 12 conference agreement among schools that there would be some sort of morality clause among the schools. UT and OU working on this deal possibly 6 months in advance of notifying anyone else sure seems like operating in bad faith to me...
It’s proving that that might be difficult. It’s not like they didn’t know what they were doing was shady at best. I’m sure they covered their tracks.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
According to the GOR, they couldn't listen to either without giving away media rights through 2036.

Bingo.

But let’s be clear, only ESPN is paying for that content, and it’s pretty easy to make a deal with yourself. ESPN is still the hand that’s feeding both the SEC and ACC right now. I don’t think they’re going to allow the SEC to cannibalize the ACC. I’m assuming the ACC will get their payday with ESPN not paying for any B1G/Big 12/PAC content.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I mean, wouldn’t it be so Texas if the blew up the Big XII, got blocked from the SEC by former conference mates (A&M, Mizzou, AR) + 1, and the Texas Legislature tells them to stay put.

Meanwhile, everyone else finds a landing spot except Baylor. OU and OSU to the SEC, WV to the ACC, ISU and KU to the Big 10 and the rest to the PAC. 8-2 vote to disband the league, with Texas and Baylor as the 2.

Unlikely, I know. But a guy can dream, right?
I bet more schools get totally screwed than just Baylor

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I think the consensus is that since the ACC and the SEC media deals are both with ESPN, that a deal could be more easily brokered to move teams.

They're still separate conferences. I'd be surprised if the SEC would be cool with the ACC retaining all revenue for Clemson, UNC, ND games for the next 15 years and the SEC not seeing a dime for them.

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL

There a penalty of two years of media rights in the Big 12 by-laws for negotiating with another to change conferences without proper notice to Big 12 members per a post on here after the crap hit the fan the other day. They should still owe that even the whole conference blows up.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
They're still separate conferences. I'd be surprised if the SEC would be cool with the ACC retaining all revenue for Clemson, UNC, ND games for the next 15 years and the SEC not seeing a dime for them.
Hence brokered deal. There would be a buyout. The ACC teams would be as likely to band together and add as the current big 12 orphans are. It would quickly dissolve.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Hence brokered deal. There would be a buyout. The ACC teams would be as likely to band together and add as the current big 12 orphans are. It would quickly dissolve.

What would the incentive be for the rest of the ACC to just say okay sure yeah bye? They are contractually entitled to the next 15 years worth of Clemson and FSU’s TV rights as it is.

realignment brings out a lot of people who think good lawyers can get out of any contract.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

I don't think it would be quite that simple. ACC has a lot of pride and history, I don't think they'd just bend over for the SEC because ESPN tells them to.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I don't think it would be quite that simple. ACC has a lot of pride and history, I don't think they'd just bend over for the SEC because ESPN tells them to.

Possibly and while not as old, the old Big East was full of pride too, and Maryland (ACC) was fine with skipping town.

• Agree
Reactions: Rods79

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
No. It wouldnt be simple. Just saying that those leagues share a common denominator. Where as the big 10 might face a bit more legal and political and business hurdles to accessing the ACC.

• Agree
Reactions: Rods79

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
There a penalty of two years of media rights in the Big 12 by-laws for negotiating with another to change conferences without proper notice to Big 12 members per a post on here after the crap hit the fan the other day. They should still owe that even the whole conference blows up.

If the whole conference blows up, every member with a P5 landing spot would vote to dissolve. If its a situation where you have like 8\10 with landing spots (maybe 2 to the SEC, 2 big 10, 4 PAC-12), those 8 vote to dissolve the conference on July 31 2022 and its over.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Possibly and while not as old, the old Big East was full of pride too, and Maryland (ACC) was fine with skipping town.

The Big East didn't go willingly, didn't have anything like a GOR, nor did the ACC at the time Maryland left, which was also in serious financial straits when the B1G came calling.

Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE