Report: OU & Texas reach out to join SEC

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Eh, you’ve gone too far down the rabbit hole on that situation. There’d be a whole different landscape in that case that’s impossible to say, because in that case there would be ~100 teams in the same situation and it would affect all conferences. If that was the case though I’d have to image the money from consolidation would be astronomical.

Lol, so back to my original point... apparently the ACC's GOR willl fend off the B1G but not the SEC.

Crookedhatkid

May 14, 2018
I don’t think the SEC poaches those other big names this year. But with their restructured deal they will make substantially the most then add the fact the will push to get 6 of the 12 playoff teams every year and will put a stranglehold on recruiting because they own the vast majority of the biggest brands. Eventually OSU, Michigan, ND, and Clemson will realize the cost of staying both monetarily and competitively is more than what breaking their contracts will be.

cyclonemagic

Nov 26, 2006
Texas
Tomorrow, TX and OU will announce that they are joining the SEC. It will be interesting to see their timeline to formally move to the SEC. For certain, they will remain in the Big 12 this season. I believe they will remain in the Big 12 for the 2022 season. They will give TX, OU, and SEC more time to prepare for the merger. It will also reduce or eliminate the buyout they would owe to the Big 12 leftovers, depending on how fast all of the schools find new conferences causing the Big 12 to dissolve.

My biggest fear is that the Big Ten will want to create its own super conference. They could invite the Pac 12 AAU schools. They always had a relationship with the Pac 12. They could rename the conference the Big Pac. That merger may include or exclude ISU from consideration from the Big 10. The remaining Big 12 and Pac 12 leftovers can form a new conference and invite others as needed.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Tomorrow, TX and OU will announce that they are joining the SEC. It will be interesting to see their timeline to formally move to the SEC. For certain, they will remain in the Big 12 this season. I believe they will remain in the Big 12 for the 2022 season. They will give TX, OU, and SEC more time to prepare for the merger. It will also reduce or eliminate the buyout they would owe to the Big 12 leftovers, depending on how fast all of the schools find new conferences causing the Big 12 to dissolve.

My biggest fear is that the Big Ten will want to create its own super conference. They could invite the Pac 12 AAU schools. They always had a relationship with the Pac 12. They could rename the conference the Big Pac. That merger may include or exclude ISU from consideration from the Big 10. The remaining Big 12 and Pac 12 leftovers can form a new conference and invite others as needed.

I could see some of that happening. But the Big Ten isn't renaming itself. There's 100+ years of history and brand equity in that name. It's not going anywhere.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines

Explain why FOX would want to eliminate even more of their content and pay more for less?

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO

giphy.gif

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018

I think they will try, but it will be much harder because of the time zone difference. If given the option, and with ND and the ACC schools off the board because of their GOR, this has to be their first option to counter what the SEC has pulled off.

What is a better deal for the Pac 12 teams, split their conference, or try to get a redo and pick up four Big 12 teams and try to rebadge the Pac 12 into the league west of the Missouri river? A 16 team league with one region in the central and mountain time zones and the other in the Pacific would not be horrible, and allow them to start games in the 11:00 game window and run until midnight.