Reputation - Decide it's future

What should happen to the reputation feature?

• No change

Votes: 38 19.4%
  • Slight adjustments or tweaks

Votes: 21 10.7%
  • More restrictions on it's use

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • Remove completely

Votes: 59 30.1%
  • Don't care

Votes: 67 34.2%

• Total voters

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
This is a very non-critical change, I like the reputation, just add some more descriptions for different levels of reputation to make it more interesting! :D

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
People need to be reasonable when they use this feature. If you are going to leave negative rep you better have a good reason. I got one and all they put was a - which is enough to qualify as a charater. I beg you to tell me why you disagree. When I leave rep I usually attach a -traman23 next to my comments so you know who. I have no problem defending myself and I think it's a show of cowardness if you can't at least name yourself when you add positive or negative rep to someone.

Cyfan322

Mar 31, 2006
Ames
You should make a top 5 or top 10 list for the people with the top rep levels on the site as well as maybe a the week and/or month's top gainer. I don't know how easy or hard it would be to implement such a feature, but it would be pretty cool if there was one.

CYTIME

Apr 3, 2006
You should make a top 5 or top 10 list for the people with the top rep levels on the site as well as maybe a the week and/or month's top gainer. I don't know how easy or hard it would be to implement such a feature, but it would be pretty cool if there was one.

Not a bad idea. I'd like to see a top 5 or 10 of week/month's most popular posts.

Also, I say keep rep points...they help. My boss criticized me the other day. I told him off and said my reputaion is beyond repute.
By the way, is it monster.com?

Last edited:

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
travman23 - I agree 100% with your post. You said it very well.

cyfan322 - while I understand what you are talking about, I think a top list of members based on reps would create a problem - popularity contests would ensure, etc. It would be fun yet in my experience with sites that have rankings based on things like this - many people spend more time arguing over who belongs and doesn't belong in the top list than they do anything else.

darts180

Apr 12, 2006
I would hope that when one gives out rep points, positive or negative, that they would put their name with the comments. It really impresses me that a lot of people make comments, but don't have the courage to put their names with the comments, it shows a LOT about character.

I don't care what my numbers are, I just think that it is sad that someone would say something personally offensive, just because they disagree with my opinion, yet they aren't brave enough to sign their names to it.

Last edited:

CHim

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
People need to be reasonable when they use this feature. If you are going to leave negative rep you better have a good reason. I got one and all they put was a - which is enough to qualify as a charater. I beg you to tell me why you disagree. When I leave rep I usually attach a -traman23 next to my comments so you know who. I have no problem defending myself and I think it's a show of cowardness if you can't at least name yourself when you add positive or negative rep to someone.

I think names should be mandatory for neg reps. I am still kind of mad that I recieved Neg rep for being from Sumner IA. No name was left so it just appears to be a messageboard hero that can't identify themself. I think the rep is cool so that you can see how people respond to your post if you are not around to see.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I would hope that when one gives out rep points, positive or negative, that they would put their name with the comments. It really impresses me that a lot of people make comments, but don't have the courage to put their names with the comments, it shows a LOT about character.

I don't care what my numbers are, I just think that it is sad that someone would say something personally offensive, just because they disagree with my opinion, yet they aren't brave enough to sign their names to it.

Finally, something we agree upon.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa

Good point Jeff. While we've disagreed a lot, I believe we've been pretty civil to each other.

It's too bad some people are so immature that they have to tear down someone else on a personal level because they disagree with the other persons opinion.

As far as printing my name; you won't see it. I value my privacy too much.

Last edited:

darts180

Apr 12, 2006
Good point Jeff. While we've disagreed a lot, I believe we've been pretty civil to each other.

It's too bad some people are so immature that they have to tear down someone else on a personal level because they disagree with the other persons opinion.

As far as printing my name; you won't see it. I value my privacy too much.

This should be all in good fun, there are people that I have not, nor probably will ever agree with on this board, but I don't think that they are bad people. I won't call them names.

In terms of my name with my posts, I am ego formed. I am not afraid to speak against the tide, if I believe that I am at least not wrong. And sometimes it is good to stir things up a little bit, but I am not going to shrink away from the responsibilities of my comments.

Plus I was able to reconnect with an old college friend whom I hadn't heard from in 10 years, so that was a bonus.

MrApathy

Aug 7, 2006
keep the reputation feature its nice. makes it easy to pick out the loons they tend to get a bad rep fast

GM4ISU

Mar 17, 2006
Is it right to bash someone for their opinion? Not the American way in my book, eveyone should have a opinion as long as it is not degrading

Blandboy

Mar 31, 2006
Bettendorf
It's a pretty bogus and juvenile feature, really. Anyone weighing in on the points thing ought to have to leave their e-mail address so we can return fire (er, I mean, clarify our point)...what fun is hit and hide?

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Maybe if someone hits and hides, also take some rep points away from them to commit their act.

BigSkyCy2

Bookie
Aug 9, 2006
I think it should show who gives you both positive and negative feedback. I'd like to repay the people that gave me good feedback, not just go after someone who gave me negative.

CloneFan65

Apr 11, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
To me the rep level itself is misleading, but I like being able to let people know that I don't appreciate their offensive or combative posts. I never give negative rep just for a differing opinion. But so many forums have been destroyed by a few people whose sole purpose is to insult others on the board. Also, it's nice to hear that someone appreciates what you've posted.

Is it possible to show how much positive and negative rep each member has given? It would be interesting to see who spreads more negative rep as well as who receives it.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Rep is fine. Another feature. poll results looks like Democrats versus Republicans. Who controls this house?