MLB: Royals set their rotation

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
I'm always surprised how many cyclone fans can belittle a team like the royals and who might be a fan when most people outside the state of iowa wonder how we can be cyclone fans.
But anyways, I think what Dayton Moore is doing for the Royals is very comparable to what Jamie Pollard is doing for ISU. Both have brought professionalism and an attitude that hasn't been seen for a long time. Time will tell how both play out but it is a fun and exciting time to be a Cyclone and Royals fan. I think the Royals will surprise some people this year. If the top 3 starters can have good years and the bullpen stays the same, it could be a good year. I just hope I have reason to watch 140 Royals games on FSN.....

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
Why dont they go to games then? At least Cubs fans go even when they suck.

And then they wonder why they don't have a good product on the field. The product is getting better, though.

abcguyks

Apr 11, 2006
Olathe
Why dont they go to games then? At least Cubs fans go even when they suck.

It's a market size issue. I'd be willing to bet that a greater market share of the KC area attends Royals games as compared to Cubs fans. Aren't there 8 to 10 million people in the Chicago area while there are about 1.5 to 2 million in the KC area.

Once KC puts a decent product on the field the fans will return - especially with the direction the Chiefs are headed!

cyclonekj

Apr 11, 2006
I think they were looking into it so they could get an in-state rivarly going with the Cards and fill the place when the Cubs where in town.

You make a good point about the Cubs, but there's a fierce rivalry with St. Louis already. Well, fierce outside the chalk lines mostly...

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
It's a market size issue. I'd be willing to bet that a greater market share of the KC area attends Royals games as compared to Cubs fans. Aren't there 8 to 10 million people in the Chicago area while there are about 1.5 to 2 million in the KC area.

Once KC puts a decent product on the field the fans will return - especially with the direction the Chiefs are headed!

This has merit, but it doesn't explain why more Cub fans attend away games than any other team except for maybe the Yankees and Red Sox. The Cubs are popular because they're the loveable losers, Harry Caray, and WGN.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I was about to defend the Royals and say they had good attendance but wow, they have been in the bottom three the last four years...

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
I was about to defend the Royals and say they had good attendance but wow, they have been in the bottom three the last four years...
Yeah its pretty bad, I've gone to several Twins games down there(made it a weekend of the FSU game and a Twins vs. Royals game one year) and the split of Royals to Twins fans is usually pretty close.

balken

Apr 14, 2006

They used to be able to claim that they had the highest per capita attendance in the majors, but it has really suffered in the last few years.

balken

Apr 14, 2006
I don't follow the prospects closely enough to comment intelligently about them, but I listened to Allard Baird and others talk about the pitching talent in the system for years. I am at the point of not believing anything until I see it.

garn91

Jun 1, 2006
Ankeny
I don't follow the prospects closely enough to comment intelligently about them, but I listened to Allard Baird and others talk about the pitching talent in the system for years. I am at the point of not believing anything until I see it.

Problem was, you were listening to Allan Baird. Dayton Moore has done an outstanding job rebuilding the pitching staff. Last year, the Royals had one of the best bullpens in MLB.