NFL: Sage should start

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
Schaub is awful. I still can't believe the Texans gave him such a big contract w/o him ever starting. Well I guess they do the same thing for rookies but it still seems dumb.

He has a top 5 WR in Andre Johnson and a good TE in Owen Daniels and he still struggles. Sage has shown he can put up some numbers and I think he should get a chance

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I agree. Didn't see the game, but just got home to see the stat line - ugh. Sage should be in next week. At worst, at the first sign of trouble with Schaub.

d4nim4l

Apr 23, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
Along the same lines. A writeup from the Houston Chronicle about Kubiak staying with Schaub.

NFL: Kubiak sticks with Schaub for Jaguars game

Read some of the comments. I appreciated the one saying Sage wasn't a good long term solution but Schaub is if the staff can figure out what went wrong with him.

How about this, they paid too much for a career backup who looked good when he started in place of Michael Vick a few times. That's what went wrong.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I said it back then, the big reason Schaub looked good subbing for Vick is because it changed the offense quite a bit - so defenses had to prep very differently for them. Allowed Scaub to have some nice games - especially when coming off the bench.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I said last year after the Texans signed away Schaub and Vick went and got himself arrested that I still didn't necessarily want him back as I saw him as overhyped, and half of this board practically ripped me a new one.

Turns out maybe, just maybe, the Falcons fan on this board knew what he was talking about and others that don't follow the Falcons might have been off base - maybe, just maybe, Schaub wasn't all he was cracked up to be. Maybe, just maybe, the Falcons now have the better QB in Ryan than if they had placed all their hope in Schaub.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Wow...that was certainly pathetic.

Fact is, Schaub would have been a serious upgrade over anyone the Falcons had on their roster last year. I like this Ryan kid so far though.

cmoore_23

Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
ive been saying it sense day one.. sage needs to start.. there is no reason other then money that matt should start.. sage had a better overal year last year then matt, and so far this year matt has looked like a chicken with his head cut off, and you look around the league.. so far teams that have switched qbs.. have done better.. houston needs to look at the big picture

pyrocyz

Jun 2, 2006
Ames
At this rate, we may be seeing more and more seneca. The seahawks are just anemic on offense this year. I know its because of injury, but still...everyone can use a little seneca.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
ive been saying it sense day one.. sage needs to start.. there is no reason other then money that matt should start.. sage had a better overal year last year then matt, and so far this year matt has looked like a chicken with his head cut off, and you look around the league.. so far teams that have switched qbs.. have done better.. houston needs to look at the big picture

Politics. It would be admitting how foolish they are. They steadfastly refuse to swallow their pride and start Sage in front of their over-priced mistake.

Cy Heavy

Aug 29, 2006
Ankeny
Politics. It would be admitting how foolish they are. They steadfastly refuse to swallow their pride and start Sage in front of their over-priced mistake.

Sadly, you are exactly right - see also: the Chicago Bears over the last four years.

The good thing for Sage is that if he keeps playing well when he gets his chances he can pull a Shaub and sign a decent contract based on his work as a backup when he is a free agent - next year I believe (?)

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Wow...that was certainly pathetic.

Fact is, Schaub would have been a serious upgrade over anyone the Falcons had on their roster last year. I like this Ryan kid so far though.

Debatable - I'm not sure how much better he would have been over Redman. Anyway, I'm not convinced either of them were going to be the future of the team, and sometimes you've gotta bite the bullet to improve the team in the long run (unfortunately, the Falcons have been doing this far too often in their 40+ year history).

SeattleClone

Aug 15, 2006
I would love to see Sage start, especially because I have him on my fantasy bench and my starting qb (Ben Roethlisberger) is starting to look a little shaky.

Stumpy

Apr 10, 2006
Tucson, AZ
Re: Rosenfels starting today vs. Colts

Why is he starting? Schaub finally had a decent game last week. I mean, I'm really glad to hear it, but I don't understand the timing here.

Edit: Never mind, just read about Schaub's viral infection.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA

Man ... I hope this means Andre Johnson wakes up this week - he's absolutely killing me.

Unfortuantely Sage's goto is Walter isn't it?

Stumpy

Apr 10, 2006
Tucson, AZ

Man ... I hope this means Andre Johnson wakes up this week - he's absolutely killing me.

Unfortuantely Sage's goto is Walter isn't it?

Not a good matchup for the Texans anyway I feel. I'd be wary of Indianapolis' pass defense before starting Rosenfels, and I think Johnson would be the only WR I'd think about.