SEC Won't play 9 conference games (again)

interrobang

Oct 9, 2017
Ankeny
Until they get penalized for it or left out of bowl games, they won't change it. Why add a game that then could make more teams miss bowl games. Is smart on their part to continue with just 8, though I don't personally like it.

• Winner
Reactions: cmjh10 and SCNCY

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
We should do the same thing especially now that the round robin is gone.

Agreed, but we, and other conferences did it to get more money. The SEC seems to have been able to avoid doing that, while getting paid the same.

Until they start getting hurt by the media and rankings; or make more money through the extra conference game, they won't make the change.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Until they get penalized for it or left out of bowl games, they won't change it. Why add a game that then could make more teams miss bowl games. Is smart on their part to continue with just 8, though I don't personally like it.
Smart maybe but they only get away with it because they are the mighty SEC. If the Big 12 went back to 8 conference games they would get roasted for it.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I feel if a team wants to be eligible for the 12 team playoff, they need to play 10 P5 games. I am OK with 8 conference games, but then the school needs to schedule 2 P5 non-conference.

The flexibility might allow for challenges in football like we see in basketball. If there is a 16 team Big10 and 16 team SEC- why not have a challenge in September. Good for the fan.

I understand the SEC's reasoning. They already make top dollar on TV deal, it's an easy win on top of a couple other easy non-con wins and it allows schools an 8th home game.

When we move to a 12 team playoff, the playing field needs to be level because it is going to be much more subjective choosing teams 10, 11, 12 than team 4 in the current playoff format. So having set criteria avoids "we played who was on our schedule". Would also like to get rid of the selection committee and just use computer rankings to determine 12 teams.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I feel if a team wants to be eligible for the 12 team playoff, they need to play 10 P5 games. I am OK with 8 conference games, but then the school needs to schedule 2 P5 non-conference.

CFP eligibility for P5 teams should be:
*10 P5 games (minimum, not counting CCG)
*CCG winners
*CCG losers
*teams that tied for a CCG position but lost out due to tiebreaker (e.g., 3 teams go 8-1 in conference)

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Smart maybe but they only get away with it because they are the mighty SEC. If the Big 12 went back to 8 conference games they would get roasted for it.

Tell me when we are not getting roasted

• Winner
Reactions: VeloClone

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
CFP eligibility for P5 teams should be:
*10 P5 games (minimum, not counting CCG)
*CCG winners
*CCG losers
*teams that tied for a CCG position but lost out due to tiebreaker (e.g., 3 teams go 8-1 in conference)

I like the idea of a 12 team playoff, but feel like the Big10 & SEC are going to complain if they don't have 5 teams in the playoff each year. With 16-20 team conferences, they aren't going to be satisfied to just get 4 teams picked.

Once the playoff goes out to bid for 2026 season, I have a feeling the criteria will be changed. We won't see 6 conference champ auto qualifiers. Would be surprised if G5 teams get the same payout % as today and maybe even have a path. If they do it might be a requirement like a top 10 ranking.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
SEC is brilliant. They get the recognition and respect for being the best football conference while they don’t necessarily have to play the toughest schedules. I can see how it’s key for giving their bottom teams a path to a bowl with OU/Texas coming in.

For comparison ISU plays in toughest basketball conference and had #2 SOS last year.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron