Selling Rare Bourbon

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
It's old and people obviously have money to spend on Whiskey.

Another poster on here claimed to a $10,000 collection and stuff is worth what people will pay.
Yeah, if you spend more than shelf price for VO, you are just trying to pee money away. Whiskey only ages in the barrels, once it is bottled it stops aging. If whiskey gets exposed to heat or sunlight over time while bottled, it can actually make it worse. So it makes no sense to sit on non rare stuff.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011

I’d rather drink it than collect it, but I’ve seen a number of articles in the last year about outright scams (above), or people who have purchased well-made copies that are filled with, for example, Ezra Brooks. The secondary market is terrifying to me.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston

I’d rather drink it than collect it, but I’ve seen a number of articles in the last year about outright scams (above), or people who have purchased well-made copies that are filled with, for example, Ezra Brooks. The secondary market is terrifying to me.

Yeah don't think I'd take the chance buying secondary, too easy to fake & I'd have no way of knowing if it was the real juice.

PineClone

Jul 16, 2008
I would gladly pay ~$50 for a chance to win that bottle and many here are probably in the same boat if a share of the proceeds go to the right places. Please keep us updated.
I like this idea.

CloneFanInKC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
Yeah, if you spend more than shelf price for VO, you are just trying to pee money away. Whiskey only ages in the barrels, once it is bottled it stops aging. If whiskey gets exposed to heat or sunlight over time while bottled, it can actually make it worse. So it makes no sense to sit on non rare stuff.
@BCClone i agree with your comments about whiskey aging in barrels. For me, the mystic in collecting allocated whiskey is knowing the longer I hold onto it, the lower the supply is. I get a rush in owning something that is less available as the calendar turns. Just a thing for me.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
@BCClone i agree with your comments about whiskey aging in barrels. For me, the mystic in collecting allocated whiskey is knowing the longer I hold onto it, the lower the supply is. I get a rush in owning something that is less available as the calendar turns. Just a thing for me.
And that is totally fine is that is your thing. I could see if you bought a couple bottles of some decent stuff, maybe barrel proof type, but this was Seagram’s VO. Its like holding into a bottle of Jim Beam for 40 years, it’s still a bottom shelf drink.

I generally drink Elijah Craig for my regular stuff and will have a bottle of barrel proof for sipping and not mixing for when people come over. The old stuff is sipping style, IMO.

Reactions: CloneFanInKC

CloneFanInKC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
And that is totally fine is that is your thing. I could see if you bought a couple bottles of some decent stuff, maybe barrel proof type, but this was Seagram’s VO. Its like holding into a bottle of Jim Beam for 40 years, it’s still a bottom shelf drink.

I generally drink Elijah Craig for my regular stuff and will have a bottle of barrel proof for sipping and not mixing for when people come over. The old stuff is sipping style, IMO.
Much like many/most things in life, perspective is key. Each to their own.

Cheers

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
It is illegal to sell alcohol without a license so you can’t post it to any public forum like marketplace. There are, however, several private facebook groups dedicated to that purpose and they are quite easy to find.

If you sell it non-locally keep in mind you will also need to ship it. It is federally illegal to ship alcohol without proper permissions through USPS. Whoever you ship it through, you cannot declare it alcohol (can’t even declare it liquid if using USPS) and will need to safety wrap the hell out of it

It is legal to ship "BBQ sauce" thru USPS. Even if it's really thin :p

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
Not on topic, but I need whiskey advice. I am looking to buy a house warming gift for someone who is a whiskey fan. I know one of the CW Pod sponsor is Steeple Ridge. Which label is the one for true whiskey fans? I am thinking black but I know there is a red and purple too. Maybe?

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I only buy off the shelf stuff but it’s damn hard finding anything allocated in Iowa that’s not marked with a museum price.

I'd suggest joining some Facebook groups. In the last 3 years I've got my hands on quite a few allocated bottles at or near MSRP. I've managed a Weller CYPB, Weller 12, Blantons regular and Blantons Straight from the Barrel, a few Eagle Rares and a Old Fitz all from the same small gas station in my hometown. If you can build a decent little network you can usually find what you are looking for.

Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Not on topic, but I need whiskey advice. I am looking to buy a house warming gift for someone who is a whiskey fan. I know one of the CW Pod sponsor is Steeple Ridge. Which label is the one for true whiskey fans? I am thinking black but I know there is a red and purple too. Maybe?
Are they ISU fans? You can get them a bottle of Cody Road coaches blend. Its a blend made by coaches at ISU. That way if you aren't sure of what style they like, its a nice ISU/whiskey combo gift.

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
Are they ISU fans? You can get them a bottle of Cody Road coaches blend. Its a blend made by coaches at ISU. That way if you aren't sure of what style they like, its a nice ISU/whiskey combo gift.
No, moved here from Florida.

BoomerClone

Oct 27, 2010
North Carolina

I was just curious if these bottles were worth anything. My parents recently bought a new house and found these bottles in the basement. I know Seagram’s isn’t some high sought after brand. I was truly just curious if they found something worth something. Maybe we will just crack them and get s$itfaced (which was my suggestion)

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I was just curious if these bottles were worth anything. My parents recently bought a new house and found these bottles in the basement. I know Seagram’s isn’t some high sought after brand. I was truly just curious if they found something worth something. Maybe we will just crack them and get s$itfaced (which was my suggestion)
Doesn’t hurt to try to sell them, there are people buying odd stuff all the time. If they don’t sell, then drink one and keep one for conversation piece.