Seneca Wallace's Wingstop

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
You waited nearly an hour? Just get up and leave.

Probably should have but think we had at least 6 at our table and each had at least 2 or more drinks by then so not one to be a douche and stiff them entirely. Had the manager done the right thing they would have just said sorry for the poor service, drinks are on us and go enjoy the game but instead he tried to make some lame ass excuse why it was taking so long for some burgers and sandwiches while everyone else around us didnt seem to be having that problem for some reason.

Should have done that at the Hard Rock Cafe in Houston in 2005. We were practically the only ones in there and the waiter disappeared when we wanted to pay our bill and go to the pep rally. One of the guys in our group walked all around the place for over 10 minutes and d finally found him gossiping with some of the other staff in a party room and had totally forgot about us. I was already irked with him because he never brought out part of my order that he said twice he was bringing out and would have flipped on him if he had he still had it on my bill. He probably wouldn't have realized we had left till we were long gone had we just got up. The more I think about it seems like most of my bad dining experiences happen the same day I am attending an ISU event...

SDClone

Oct 3, 2007
Ankeny, Iowa
I live near the Merle Hay location and I always order online. My wait time according to the website is always 16-20 minutes (somewhere in that time frame). I always give them 20 minutes and I haven't had to wait for my order when I get there as it has always been ready. As others have said, you can't beat the price for wings, fries, and a 20 ounce drink.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
1st time I went to the Ames location walked in and ordered. Ever since I call it in and it has either been ready or ready shorty after I arrived.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
IMO you shouldn't have to order ahead online to a place that is technically a fast food type joint. If I was doing carry out it makes more sense. If that's the only way you are going to avoid a 30-45 minute wait for your food to eat at the location that is a horrible business model for that type of place. You are going to lose a lot of potential customers that may just stop in on a whim for the first time like I did who will be disappointed and frustrated when they spend that long waiting on food that shouldn't take that long to prepare. It's probably not a "must have" type of place to be banking on most of your dine-in customers knowing that they ought to order ahead. Some people here said they even had to wait longer than the time they quoted them for carry out too.

I may sound old saying this which I'm not technically that "old" at 39 but what happened to businesses striving/taking pride for having good service these days instead of consumers just accepting subpar service as the norm? Look at all the business a place like Hickory Park does where they turn tables pretty quickly even with a high volume of people dining there. Even the chain joints like Old Chicago, BWW, Applebees, etc. with a lot bigger variety of items on their menus and more volume churn out food quicker and you don't need to order ahead there to get in/out in a reasonable amount of time. Heck I got a free basket meal at Culvers last month because I had to wait 10 minutes over my lunch break and found out someone had either given my order to someone else or misplaced the order slip. I wasn't upset at all, they usually are quick and it was probably an honest mistake but the manager apologized and asked if I wanted a free concrete (it was terribly cold out that day so that did not sound good to me) I just said give me a larger size of fries or something and I'd be good but instead he handed me a card for a free basket combo which I was not expecting. That's the kind of service that will keep a customer coming back when you acknowledge the service they got was not up to par instead of making excuses for it.

There's 1 place I have yet to go back to in Ames after a horrible experience years ago and that is West Towne Pub. We got there plenty early before a game and it wasn't that busy when we sat down. It took our waitress nearly 15 minutes to even get us a menu after we had to make a point to ask her for them then after waiting nearly an hour for our order to come out after we were told multiple times it "would be out really soon" and the place starting to empty out to head to the game we said screw it and asked for our drink bill and canceled our food order. The manager came out and apologized and said they "got caught off guard with the game day crowd." We said that was a lame excuse because you damn well knew there was a game today in advance and could staff accordingly. Didn't get offered an many places do when they screw up. I'll probably try the place again at some point but that 1 experience turned everyone with us off of going there all this time. I'm a pretty patient customer for the most part but it's not like these places don't know that on a game day you are going to get more business than usual and need to be staffed accordingly so you can get people in & out in a reasonable amount of time once they place their order.

All I can say is the world changes. If a place has an app that I can order through, I use the app. It's convenient, faster and there's less chance my order gets messed up. Plus, most apps have deals for cheaper food.

• Agree
Reactions: ianoconnor

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Seriously guys, I’m getting worried about Cycsk....can somebody check on him?

Oops. Sorry about that. I appreciate the concern. Indeed, I got a bit distracted by the Cyning Day event.

Had a good experience with Wing Stop in Ames. I ordered at 4:41, showed up at 5:03, and got my food. There were two ladies working and they seemed to be keeping up with everyone's orders (all online). So, based on my experiment, the theory of slow service is DISPROVED.

I got a mixed order of boneless and bone-in. Definitely liked the bone-in better. The boneless seemed more like small chicken strips that should be dipped in honey mustard sauce, not ranch. And the fries were very good.

A few commented on the conversations they heard in the kitchen. Indeed, as the only one in the seating area, it was hard not to hear them talking, particularly when I heard the name "Seneca." Unfortunately, I couldn't hear exactly what they said about him.

Lastly, the Wing Stop in Ames is worth a visit just to see the jerseys and large step-by-step map of "The Run."

Last edited:

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Call ahead because unless if they've changed since I last tried them you'll be waiting forever to get your wings if you just walk in and order. Amazes me how a place with such slow service can sustain their business model and turn a profit. Their wings are OK but I'll never just stop in without ordering ahead after the experience I had at the Ames location.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Call ahead because unless if they've changed since I last tried them you'll be waiting forever to get your wings if you just walk in and order. Amazes me how a place with such slow service can sustain their business model and turn a profit. Their wings are OK but I'll never just stop in without ordering ahead after the experience I had at the Ames location.
I've had times where I've waited 5 minutes and other times I've waited 15 minutes or more, and it doesn't necessarily seem to be related to how busy the place was, not sure what the deal is.

TKlone3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 24, 2011
Council Bluffs
I've had times where I've waited 5 minutes and other times I've waited 15 minutes or more, and it doesn't necessarily seem to be related to how busy the place was, not sure what the deal is.
They make their wings when you order so they are "fresh". They typically will tell you that when you order and will be around 15 min for boneless. I always call a head or just have a beer while i wait.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA

I would have killed for either of those wait times. Maybe they have gotten better lately... If you look back up through the thread here I think I waited something like 40 minutes from the time I ordered to food at the table for my order and the place wasn't that busy at the time either.

Big Clone Guy

Jul 2, 2019
I liked wing stop when it first opened in Ames (mostly because it was close to my apartment). The wings are decent. However, their sauce selection is pretty small for a restaurant that specializes in wings and their fries are the worst in the fast-food industry. I stopped going after I had to wait an extra 15 minutes for my order and while waiting the employees in the kitchen got into a huge argument, not a great experience.

ILiftWithRoyce

Feb 6, 2012
Ankeny

Same. My dad and I stopped there last year to grab a quick bite before heading to the tailgate before SDSU. There was never more than 2-3 other tables occupied while we were there and we waited 50 minutes for us each to get wings and fries

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I liked wing stop when it first opened in Ames (mostly because it was close to my apartment). The wings are decent. However, their sauce selection is pretty small for a restaurant that specializes in wings and their fries are the worst in the fast-food industry. I stopped going after I had to wait an extra 15 minutes for my order and while waiting the employees in the kitchen got into a huge argument, not a great experience.
By my count they have 19 different flavors, how many more should a wing place have?

• Informative
Reactions: VeloClone

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
yeah...it goes without saying - unless your goal is to have time to drink a beer (or 2) while you wait, you always order ahead of time here.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Yes, and 8 of those 19 are limited time. Probably only for today since it's national wing day. BWW has 22 all year round.
I have been to BWW near me twice. It was an absolute terrible experience. I don't plan to go back. I don't know if the franchise has gone down hill or if this is just a terrible location.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron