Shonn Greene

Legend12

May 9, 2008
He will leave early, he has nothing to gain by sticking around a town where you can get killed playing chess.

I agree...that's just as bad as being in a town where you can get killed for going to work at Casey's.

Indyclone

Jan 24, 2008
I have already given SG props, and he deserves them. I think you missed my point that I was trying to straighten our Hawk fan out. Iowa hasn't really had much team success, their wins are not all that impressive.

I would say the teams they have beaten aren't impressive, but wins by 36 and 22 I think are. If we would have beaten Baylor by 36 on the road or Nebraska by 22 last week (which is probably the same as Indiana and Wisconsin, Baylor is probably better than Indiana, but you get my point) people around here would be beating their chest the same way Hawk fans are. Let them have their so called "glory" because I think they face reality in a couple of weeks at Illinois as I'm sure Illinois has this game circled from last year and costing them a share of the Big 10.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
"Shonn likes his TV"--another reason he won't be around for his senior year. More time for TV when you aren't taking classes. :wink:

IOWASTATE

Oct 29, 2007
Ames
I would say 3rd at the very best. No way you pass up Beanie Wells or Javon Ringer before him at the very least

ISUboi12

Apr 12, 2006
dsm
Did I really need to?? Did they show Iowa anything or expose Iowa as anything?? No they didnt. Coming out of those games, everyone knew Iowa was tough as hell at the LOS, just needed to take care of the football. Funny what happens when they take care of the ball isnt it?? The last 2 games Iowa has been without a TO and won by a combined score of 83-25. Im not saying Iowa is world beaters, but they are a damn good football team and a hell of a lot better then you or anyone else on this board gave them credit for.

Did we forget to take our emotion pills?

Three of Iowas next four games will be against the best of their conference schedule. We will see how optimistic you are at the end of them (I hope you still are, I want to go to a bowl game... and of course be the DB wearing my ISU gear)!

ClimbIowa

Aug 14, 2008
This reminds me of my favorite thread from this fall. In it, I was told that Iowa State had up to 5 or 6 rbs (4 was universally agreed upon) with more ability than Iowa's best rb. Boy do Clone fans know their football.

RyCy04

Sep 26, 2007
Omaha, NE
This reminds me of my favorite thread from this fall. In it, I was told that Iowa State had up to 5 or 6 rbs (4 was universally agreed upon) with more ability than Iowa's best rb. Boy do Clone fans know their football.
I think I recall the said thread. However I don't think it was a football related thread. I think it was ISU's running backs were more likely to avoid our government's penitentiary system than any of of Iowa's running backs.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
He will be a good NFL backup type player (see Betts). And that is a compliment.

He will be around next year for Iowa.. they need him.

-keep

M&M brought up some decent points last night on the show.

1) He'll be 24/25 next year, I guess.
2) He's shown he and the books aren't the best of friends. The reason he had to leave u of i the first time. He might - MIGHT, be doing alright as of now. Tomorrow could be a different story. Not a knock on the kid - you should've seen my junior year grades....
3) Thusfar he's having a great season and his stock probably won't be much higher next.

They seem to think he's gone, lest he gets injured. Given the above reasoning, I have to agree.

bmuff

Apr 7, 2006
Gotta have SPEED to be a first round pick and SG doesn't have it. He's a nice RB, probably a late second, early third rounder, though.

ClimbIowa

Aug 14, 2008
I think I recall the said thread. However I don't think it was a football related thread. I think it was ISU's running backs were more likely to avoid our government's penitentiary system than any of of Iowa's running backs.

This will refresh your memory.

Just tot highlight (and clear up my error):

-ISU has 3 rbs that are better than SG. Probably 4. 5 if you can count recruits. Maybe 6.
-Greene has no shot at the NFL.

http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/forum/state-rivals/35691-iowa-loses-running-back.html

Clonegrad07

Jul 22, 2008
North Carolina
Shonn Greene is garbage. He's having a decent year this year, but you just said HEISMAN and his name in the same sentance... ********! The Heisman is for THE BEST COLLEGE FOOTBALL PLAYER that year. Is he even in the same stratosphere as Colt McCoy, Grahm Harrell, Mark Sanchez, Tim Tebow, Knowshan Moreno, or the Penn St. QB? No is the answer... he's a good back for a BAD team who won't even get drafted. IF he does get drafted, he won't last 3 years. THAT'S A BIG IF! He's a slow, chubby runningback who doesn't block or catch well enough to be a full back.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
Shonn Greene is garbage. He's having a decent year this year, but you just said HEISMAN and his name in the same sentance... ********! The Heisman is for THE BEST COLLEGE FOOTBALL PLAYER that year. Is he even in the same stratosphere as Colt McCoy, Grahm Harrell, Mark Sanchez, Tim Tebow, Knowshan Moreno, or the Penn St. QB? No is the answer... he's a good back for a BAD team who won't even get drafted. IF he does get drafted, he won't last 3 years. THAT'S A BIG IF! He's a slow, chubby runningback who doesn't block or catch well enough to be a full back.

LOL

snowcraig2.0

Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
This will refresh your memory.

Just tot highlight (and clear up my error):

-ISU has 3 rbs that are better than SG. Probably 4. 5 if you can count recruits. Maybe 6.
-Greene has no shot at the NFL.

http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/forum/state-rivals/35691-iowa-loses-running-back.html

I was one of the people that said ISU had 4 running backs that would start at Iowa. I said that in the context that I was assuming that there was no way Greene would make it back in school. I was wrong. I vastly underestimated Kirky's abilities.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
The question is how much of it is Greene vs our RBs.

or the iowa line versus our line?

Overall, I'm going with the later. Greene is a fine back. But his biggest attribute is his size. Allow the iowa o-line to give him a head of steam and that spells trouble. If you can get to him at or behind the line, his strong points are much more negated. People may bounce off him, but he won't make many defenders miss.

Conversely for the ISU backs - the holes are rarely there so it's a little hard to guage if they are lesser backs or just the product of their offense.

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
I think Greene is pretty good but I think it is more to do with eiu having a OL that block a heck of a lot better then our OL is doing right now.

Help Support Us

Become a patron