Shonn Greene

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
I think Greene is pretty good but I think it is more to do with eiu having a OL that block a heck of a lot better then our OL is doing right now.

No doubt Iowa's OL is exponentially better than ours. But what does the guy have to do to get Iowa State fans to admit that he's having a great year? The offensive line isn't why it takes 3 defenders to tackle that guy.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
No doubt Iowa's OL is exponentially better than ours. But what does the guy have to do to get Iowa State fans to admit that he's having a great year? The offensive line isn't why it takes 3 defenders to tackle that guy.

I disagree to a point.

You don't see 3 LBs or DLs tackling Greene, you see 3 DBs. And he's getting to that level because his line is taking the front defense out of the equation very often.

He's a fine back. There's no denying it. He must be gang tackled every play.

But I think the point most are making, you put him on ISU's squad with our current line play - his stats are closer to maybe 400-500 yards. His success is very much a product of superior line play (and inferior opponents. Next two weeks will really show what he's made of)

JMO.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
I disagree to a point.

You don't see 3 LBs or DLs tackling Greene, you see 3 DBs. And he's getting to that level because his line is taking the front defense out of the equation very often.

But I think the point most are making, you put him on ISU's squad with our current line play - his stats are closer to maybe 400-500 yards. His success is very much a product of superior line play (and inferior opponents. Next two weeks will really show what he's made of)

JMO.

It's easy to argue that if you give him our OL that he wouldn't be having a good year because there's no way to either confirm or dispute it.

I think we can all agree that we'd have a better running game than we do if we had him.

And I watched our linebackers miss tackles on him in Iowa City. It's hard to predict where he'll be drafted because we don't know who else will be leaving early or what kind of combine numbers he's going to put up, but I was impressed with how fast he looked against Wisconsin.

ClimbIowa

Aug 14, 2008
I disagree to a point.

JMO.

I assume that opponents' fear of Stanzi is also helping Greene from getting the box stacked against him? You know, kinda like how teams stack the box to stop ISU's running game.

And ISU's Oline is terrible so that surely makes Greene look better in comparison. But ISU backs have done very little this year to prove they're more than Greene's backup.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
It's easy to argue that if you give him our OL that he wouldn't be having a good year because there's no way to either confirm or dispute it.

I think we can all agree that we'd have a better running game than we do if we had him.

And I watched our linebackers miss tackles on him in Iowa City. It's hard to predict where he'll be drafted because we don't know who else will be leaving early or what kind of combine numbers he's going to put up, but I was impressed with how fast he looked against Wisconsin.

Oh - I think I can say with much certainty that if he played behind our line, he wouldn't have the same numbers. :wink:

Just as if we put ARob or Bass behind iowa's line, I think we can reasonably expect their numbers to jump.

It goes without saying that he would be a plus to our running game. But really for the same reasons. He's difficult to take down alone. Our backs aren't. Far too often our backs go down nearly on their own. Chizik even said as much prior to the Baylor game.

I'm just saying that like most iowa offensive skill players (Betts, Banks, etc) Greene's success is LARGELY due to the line iowa puts up there.

I have no idea on his pro prospects. Again, the next two weeks will tell the story. He's played nobody to this point.

(yes - I'm semi-ignoring the notion that he shed our tacklers. EVERYBODY sheds out tacklers)

Last edited:

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee

I think he is having a great year and I think he is a heck of a RB at this point in the season. My comments were more directed at the troll who was bring up summer threads where we were talking about 4 of our backs starting for eiu over anybody there. I think there is a 90% chance that Greene is better then all our backs, just would like to see how our RB's would do behind their line.

Cy Heavy

Aug 29, 2006
Ankeny
I disagree to a point.

JMO.

Yeah, what he said.

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
I assume that opponents' fear of Stanzi is also helping Greene from getting the box stacked against him? You know, kinda like how teams stack the box to stop ISU's running game.

And ISU's Oline is terrible so that surely makes Greene look better in comparison. But ISU backs have done very little this year to prove they're more than Greene's backup.

Not quite sure I agree with the fearing Stanzi part unless you refer to fear of the unknown, but other then that I have to say your post is pretty spot on.

DJK15

Apr 17, 2008
Shonn Greene is garbage. He's having a decent year this year, but you just said HEISMAN and his name in the same sentance... ********! The Heisman is for THE BEST COLLEGE FOOTBALL PLAYER that year. Is he even in the same stratosphere as Colt McCoy, Grahm Harrell, Mark Sanchez, Tim Tebow, Knowshan Moreno, or the Penn St. QB? No is the answer... he's a good back for a BAD team who won't even get drafted. IF he does get drafted, he won't last 3 years. THAT'S A BIG IF! He's a slow, chubby runningback who doesn't block or catch well enough to be a full back.

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
Funny how you didn't mention Pittsburgh, Michigan State, and Northwestern.

What about them? None of those teams could stop him either. He ran out of gas against Pitt, he completely outplayed Ringer in East Lansing, and N'Western had to knock him out - literally - to get him off the field. Against Pitt and N'western, he only played 3 quarters. He's been the best player on the field in every game to this point. I would agree with the notion that the hard part starts next weekend, but against Illinois 72nd ranked rush defense and Iowa's o-line, he's got a good shot.

Hit the link and see for yourself, those 3 teams did NOTHING against him.

NCAA DIVISION I FOOTBALL

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
I just thought I'd post this picture....

n1176270025_30129956_9669.jpg

That's Greene. That's 90% of ISU's defense.

CyPride

Oct 12, 2008
Greene would probably be injured for the year if he was playing real ball in the Big 12. That guy is slow. Isn't it typical that we basically shut the guy down IN Iowa City! They tried slowing our defense down with the flooded field trick, but we all know what really happened! STATE!

cyclones6785

Dec 16, 2007
Greene would probably be injured for the year if he was playing real ball in the Big 12. That guy is slow. Isn't it typical that we basically shut the guy down IN Iowa City! They tried slowing our defense down with the flooded field trick, but we all know what really happened! STATE!

Do you honestly believe everything you just typed? Greene had over 100 yards against us. Can't really say we shut him down.

Help Support Us

Become a patron