Shonn Greene

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
He will make the short list of preseason favorites for the Heisman if he returns despite what ISU fans may think.

None of us doubt that if he were to return that he wouldn't be one of the front runners for the Heisman next year. Most of us doubt he'll be back for next season, regardless of his grade situation. Right now he's at the top of his game - the only problem is he's not getting any younger. He's what - 24 right now? If he sticks around for another year he'll be 25 and will be yet another year closer to the decline age that the majority of running backs hit, not to mention every hit he takes next year at the college level jeopardizes the payday waiting for him in the Pro Bowl. Few teams were willing to take a chance on McGahee several years back, and this was a younger guy with tremendous upside. If Greene blows out his knee playing for Iowa next season, will any pro team take a risk on a 25-year old with a damaged wheel who hasn't even proved he can run at the NFL level? Somebody probably will, but I'd place money on him not being a day one pick in that scenario.

Simple fact of the matter is the risks far outweigh the rewards in terms of a RB sticking around another year. Greene is a fool if he's at Iowa next year.

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
Either that or this thread has run it's course...hopefully.

For someone hoping this thread has run it's course and will end, it sure is funny that you have posted 12 times since page 12 up until now.

9 months till the game and you and your DB hawk cronies are over here on a Cyclone message board telling us why we are idiots for thinking we can win next year like history hasn't taught you to shut your pie hole until the 2009 game is over.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
None of us doubt that if he were to return that he wouldn't be one of the front runners for the Heisman next year. Most of us doubt he'll be back for next season, regardless of his grade situation. Right now he's at the top of his game - the only problem is he's not getting any younger. He's what - 24 right now? If he sticks around for another year he'll be 25 and will be yet another year closer to the decline age that the majority of running backs hit, not to mention every hit he takes next year at the college level jeopardizes the payday waiting for him in the Pro Bowl. Few teams were willing to take a chance on McGahee several years back, and this was a younger guy with tremendous upside. If Greene blows out his knee playing for Iowa next season, will any pro team take a risk on a 25-year old with a damaged wheel who hasn't even proved he can run at the NFL level? Somebody probably will, but I'd place money on him not being a day one pick in that scenario.

Simple fact of the matter is the risks far outweigh the rewards in terms of a RB sticking around another year. Greene is a fool if he's at Iowa next year.

He'll be 24 in August. McGahee was picked 23rd overall. Not top 5 like everyone thought, but still a lot of guaranteed money up-front. The pro bowl?

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Probably not. If Iowa wins their first two games, ISU will not beat Iowa. That's a tautology if I ever sawded one.

I assume since you claim that's a tautology you realize the Iowa/Iowa State game is the second game of the season next year?

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
For someone hoping this thread has run it's course and will end, it sure is funny that you have posted 12 times since page 12 up until now.

9 months till the game and you and your DB hawk cronies are over here on a Cyclone message board telling us why we are idiots for thinking we can win next year like history hasn't taught you to shut your pie hole until the 2009 game is over.

I haven't guaranteed anything. Look back a few pages and you'll see my opinion on the game, I'm not going to re-write it. I've merely said that come State Fair (caps?) time next year, the guarantees of victory will be flying from both sides.

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
I haven't guaranteed anything. Look back a few pages and you'll see my opinion on the game, I'm not going to re-write it. I've merely said that come State Fair (caps?) time next year, the guarantees of victory will be flying from both sides.

lol.....a Hawk fan would have this at the tip of the tongue.

ClimbIowa

Aug 14, 2008

I laughed at the adults wearing cy cardbaord hats as well.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
I actually believe the pro game blows..and I have been to lambeau 4 times (from WI) sterile, no atmosphere.

I would love to get there someday, and everything I have ever read/heard about Lambeau is the exact opposite of what you said. Granted, it is hard to get "into" the game as a fan when there's a tv timeout on every change of possesion.

Last edited:

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
[/i][/b]

I would love to get there someday, and everything I have ever read/heard about Lambeau is the exact opposite of what you said.

Don't get me wrong....good atmosphere...for a pro game.

nothing compared to a college game however (yes, that includes Iowa)