Shonn Greene

bmuff

Apr 7, 2006
Strange, we all must have missed ISU playing Texas, OU, and Texas Tech this past season.

Strange, we missed iowa playing tOSU as well. ISU did play Okie St and Mizzou, who both would have destroyed the Big 11.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
Strange, we missed iowa playing tOSU as well. ISU did play Okie St and Mizzou, who both would have destroyed the Big 11.

Your post said that ISU plays all the good teams in the South, which wasn't true this season. Mizzou will get it's chance. Iowa beat Penn St., who won IN Columbus.

cmhawks99

Nov 15, 2008
Bourbonnais, Il
people like you really **** me off, so now im going to use stats to totally rip your team apart.

first we will start at rush (assuming Shonn Greene is gone):
For Iowa:
Jewel Hampton: 409 yds, 7 TD, 5.2 per carry

For ISU:
Alexander Robinson: 703 yds, 6 TD, 4.6 per carry
Austen Arnaud: 401 yds, 5 TD, 3.7 per carry (yes our QB ran for essentially the same yardage as your back who is better than anyone we have... makes a TON of sense)
Bo Williams/Jeremiah Shwartz: We dont know how they will perform, but we do know Bo was 4* recruit who got a scholarship from florida so obviously he is good, and Shwartz is a tank

If Shonn Greene doesnt return then ISU definitely has an edge at this position, although we dont utilize the run nearly as much as Iowa

The Quarterbacks:
For Iowa:
Ricky Stanzi: 1809 yds, 13 TD and 7 INT
Jake Christensen: 396 yds, 2 TD and 1 INT

For ISU:
Austen Arnaud: 2792 yds, 15 TD and 10 INT
Jerome Tiller: heard great things, super athlete

all in all the DEFINITE edge goes to ISU. Austen threw for nearly 600 yds more than your 2 QB's and the same number of TD's. He did throw 10 INT compared to 8 for Iowa QB's, but he threw an INT once ever 40.1 ATT, while Iowa QB's threw one once every 37.25 ATT. Edge ISU.

The Recievers/Tight Ends:
For Iowa:
Derrell Johnson-Koulianous: 43 rec, 621 yds, 3 TD
Andy Brodell: 33 rec, 506 yds, 4 TD
Trey Stross: 12 rec, 103 yds, 0 TD
Allen Reisner: 11 rec, 200 yds, 1 TD
Tony Moeaki: 10 rec, 101 yds, 1 TD

For ISU:
Darius Darks: 49 rec, 477 yds, 1 TD
Houston Jones: 32 rec, 384 yds, 0 TD
Marquis Hamilton: 26 rec, 301 yds, 3 TD
Sedrick Johnson: 18 rec, 188 yds, 3 TD
Collin Franklin: 15 rec, 258 yds, 2 TD
Alexander Robinson (RB): 17 rec, 160 yds, 0 TD

This is probably the closest offensive catagory, but even though Iowa may have the best reciever of the bunch in DJK i still feel that ISU has a better overall unit. Iowa has the benifit of returning a lot of experience, but ISU had young recievers (Darks, Sed. Johnson) who put up big numbers as true freshman. Those players were playing under average weight for Big XII recievers and still put up good numbers. Also Collin Franklin is probably a better TE than Moeaki because he has been able to stay healthy and when thrown to, put up big numbers (and he wasnt thrown to a lot).

Defenses:
Not going to dip into the stats here, but Iowa does have the edge defensively. I do not think its as wide a gap as people think, because losing King and Kroul will kill the pass rush from the front 4 of iowa. they will be forced to blitz more and that leaves the passing game more wide open. ISU returns a lot of young guys and has some potential contributers incoming. Obviously the ISU defense is going to rely big time on LJ and Ter'ran Benton improving a lot over their first offseasons at ISU. I also could see Troy Butler, Jerrod Black, and Roosevelt Maggit having big years, but that is yet to be seen and is far from a guarantee.

The point of this entirely to long post is to bring you to the realization that unless someone comes in and is a stud right away (wegher, rogers, etc.) then Iowa is really not as good a team as you think and is not nearly as far ahead of ISU as you would like to believe. I will definitely admit Iowa was a better team this year and Shonn Greene is a terrific player, but they benifited big time from being in the Big 10. I dont see iowa any better than a 5-7 team in the Big XII and at best 6-6.

I think Iowa is going to be Top 25 to start next year, but they will be exposed for being a very inadequate team offensively when they get to visit JTS.

Thats all i got.... phewww. im tired! :wink:

Really, people like him pis%$ you off. I think he or another Iowa poster pointed out that if you made your way onto ANY ISU message board last year they pretty routinely claimed to KNOW they had better rb options than Iowa and that in hindsight seems laughable.

So with that info in tow I think it best to edit your post to say.............."I really get PO'd at Iowa fans for having optimism they can replace graduates" but I'm fine with ISU thinking this.
Another point of note is that Iowa's sack total was less than impressive, though considering the amount of "spread" teams they played their "pressure" was adequate, I would agree.

Honestly you say Iowa fans "thinking" we are better is foolish, yet it isn't too think you are close to our talent level?!?!? We are fans...........We think having a reserve Frosh D-tackle getting Big 10 player of the week honors bodes well. We also think having 2 starting DE‘s who weighed 280 lbs and are capable of moving inside with a 2nd-string 260-DE who played a lot and got several sacks also bodes well. We think having DT Cody Hundertmark come back after a RS when he played last year as a true Frosh bodes well. We think returning our top 7-Lbers and top 9 of 10 Db's bodes well. Not to mention 7 or 8 O-linemen who started games. Seriously none of us know how that translates to next year.

Georgia certainly didn't expect what they got, nor Tenn, nor Auburn, nor UM etc, etc, etc..............but that doesn't mean Iowa fans don't have reason to think they have a lot of talent coming back. After all they are fans, so get PO'd at your guys for thinking they will be better or be honest with yourself that what you hate is Iowa being any good at all.

In closing you "hope" Iowa isn’t any good next year and you "wish" they wouldn't be anything better than 5-7 in the Big 12. The Big 10 still has loads of talent and a perusal of any projected draft boards will make that obvious to even the most delude rival fan. You do know that Iowa was even younger than ISU right?! 10 soph starters and 1 Frosh with 14 others in the 2-deeps?!?!? If not now you do. All this really means nothing until we start playing next year, but Iowa has a chance to be as good or better.

Chad

Hawkeyes89

Dec 17, 2008
Johnston
If Greene returned (which a majority of evidence says he won't) you would have to think that he would at least be in the running for Heisman. Players that start the year in the Heisman race usually fare better. Take Ringer for example, it took Greene all year to pass Ringer in people's books even though most statistical evidence pointed to Greene being the better back. If Greene doesn't return be ready to see Jewell Hampton step up and be a solid back.