Should Florida State skip the Orange Bowl?

Should Florida State skip the Orange Bowl?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
To add to the hypocrisy, if Georgia wins the SEC you know Florida St gets in over Texas.
Michigan, Washington, and Texas were locks after their games. FSU’s poor showing and obviously injury’s is what hurt them. If they were full strength and blew out Louisville, then that changes things.

• Disagree
Reactions: NoCreativity

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
I’d say no at this point. I would’ve been fine and actually supported them to have turned down the invite on Sunday after the CFP announcement. But it’s too late to back out graciously now. To not play the game without a suitable replacement screws over the ACC, which like it or not, you’re still a member of and receiving checks from.
**** it. Scorched Earth. Go to the bowl city, take in the sites, etc and then don't show up to the game. ***** the selection committee for and the whole bowl system for screwing them.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
No, the extra practices those kids get are valuable for development and you don't take away a bowl experience from kids that worked hard to earn it. I hate that they got snubbed because they aren't Alabama but you still represent your school and give those kids a reward for a great season.

Here's a perfect example about why you don't decline a bowl game: https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/8703346/louisiana-tech-bulldogs-9-3-go-bowl-game BVDV wound up losing his job over that decision. Just when you thought he could be any worse than he was at ISU he goes and does a "hold my beer" moment.

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
It’s a no-win situation for FSU If they play th game. During the game, all you will hear is “FSU will try to prove they belong in the playoffs“.

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
Yeah, they should absolutely opt out. The drama and fallout from them skipping the Orange Bowl would create far more entertainment then the actual bowl game.

Do it FSU, give me the dumbass college football drama that I crave.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonsin and GTO

Spam

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 21, 2008
FSU should make their injured QB (Jordan Travis) play on a wheelchair.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Actually the SEC took Arkansas from the SWC in 1991. The Big 8 then poached four Texas teams from the SWC in 1996, which blew up the SWC. That was the first domino.

You could keep going back to the early 1900's if you want to.

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
I said they should play. "Hey all, we didn't get what we wanted and deserved, we quit." Wouldn't be a good look.
Was just going to say the same thing. Can't always just quit when things don't go your way.
Didn't get picked for the CFP...eff it, quit.
Don't get to play soon enough as a player...eff it, quit.
Don't receive enough NIL money...eff it, Quit.
Conference isn't getting the revenue someone else is getting...eff it. Jump ship.
This is the times we're in.

• Agree
Reactions: CRcyclone6

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I don't really buy the connection of past realignment (ACC poaching Big East in the early 00s, or the SWC collapse) to the modern realignment.

The ACC grabbed Boston College (not exactly a huge blow to the big east), Miami which was only in the big east for like a decade, and VT who was only a full big east member for a few years. The big east was never really a stable conference and its football membership largely transient. It was a relatively young conference.

The moves starting in ~2010 seemed different. Top, longstanding members being poached (or threatened to be, in the case of PAC looking at taking half the big 12), the big east actively ripped apart after they balked at ESPN's contract offer, etc. Conferences losing any geographical sense.

• Disagree
Reactions: Gonzo

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
ESPN really shot itself in the foot.
1. There are in the booth shots of Herbie, while he was broadcasting a Florida State game , jumping up and down like a kid at Christmas after Bama’s win at Auburn. He was watching that game while broadcasting the FSU game
2. ESPN, while the ACC championship was going on, used its talent to lobby for Bama over FSU.
3. Herbie’s ”sorry FSU” video was a bad look. Herbie in front of the “four helmets” another bad look.
At every turn ESPN just dug itself a hole. I do not see Clemson and FSU going to the SEC. In fact, ESPN shills have already prepared for this by saying “it’s the Big 10 that wanted Clemson and FSU all along. The SEC is too full.”
Right now, ESPN has egg on its face and it knows it. They are acting defensive on all fronts. I think it’s funny. I doubt they suffer much, but they certainly squandered whatever goodwill they had with people.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
No, the extra practices those kids get are valuable for development and you don't take away a bowl experience from kids that worked hard to earn it. I hate that they got snubbed because they aren't Alabama but you still represent your school and give those kids a reward for a great season.

Here's a perfect example about why you don't decline a bowl game: https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/8703346/louisiana-tech-bulldogs-9-3-go-bowl-game BVDV wound up losing his job over that decision. Just when you thought he could be any worse than he was at ISU he goes and does a "hold my beer" moment.
Right! While many of us are not happy with either the bowl or the opponent in the Liberty Bowl, Most of us know how the system works and the importance of making a Bowl, any bowl. And no AD in their right mind would ever refuse a bowl, if they want to ever get an invite again.

Meanwhile there are some serious morons on Social Media that are not only complaining about the bowl or the opponent, but saying Pollard should refuse it etc, and that its his fault and has some kind of choice himself of where we go.

People really need to get a clue sometimes.

• Winner
Reactions: CYdTracked

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
I think you'd just asking to be sued in this case.... unless your entire team caught covid or something. Hmmm.....

Eh. Just say they were all suffering from mental health issues from not getting into the playoffs and it wouldn't be safe for them to risk physical injury in a meaningless exhibition game. Threaten to counter sue for damages. Then declare themselves undefeated national champs. Get a banner and their own trophy and everything.

• Haha
Reactions: Kinch

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
You hawk idiots. B8 didn’t poach anyone from the SWC.

Please stay away
Right, it was a marriage of convenience based on how things TV$ were changing. B8 needs more markets/eyeballs and the 4 SWC schools needed a get clear of that conferences issues.

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
Play and help your argument that you should've been in the playoff. Don't whine anymore at this point. Show up, win, take the money to keep improving the program. If they don't, stop whining about money.
Agreed. They should view this as a playoff game. This is where they may end up if the 12-team format started this year. Go prove yourself.

Reactions: DBQR4CY

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Yeah I get that but at the time the SWC was on the serious decline because of all the scandals and NCAA violations, weren't schools at that time looking to jump ship? The ACC raiding the Big East seemed like the first blindside by one conference of an equally strong peer conference. Maybe that's just the way I remember it.
I read a good story about all this a year or two ago.
SWC Demise

Yes SMU and various scandals were happening. But Arkansas was looking for the door in a big way, because of money.