Show

Cyclone Hulk

Sep 5, 2019
The Drive is good, they mix in the sports with the banter and at least with Sean and Heather, they talk both Iowa and ISU.

• Agree
Reactions: MJ29

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
Iowa Everywhere is an upgrade to KXNO pretty much across the board. Better talent, better discussions, less fillers. It helps that Iowa Everywhere doesn't have to fill hours upon hours of programming each week. That's where KXNO gets in trouble. Even when it's a busy sports time like now, it's tough to fill that many hours of programming and stay fresh in a market like this. Couple that with the lack on on air talent depth, and it's not difficult to see why their product is suffering greatly.

Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
I haven't really listened much to the Morning Rush or The Drive lately to be honest. It's almost feels like listening to the same show when I do. Getting more into just listening to the Iowa Anywhere podcasts when I can.
I catch a little bit of the morning show when getting around in the morning. I don't think they got to talking about the isu game till late first hour.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I heard somebody call into The Drive a few weeks ago to complain about the incessant conversation about the horrible Hokeye offense. Emory got all defensive saying they talked about Iowa State in the "first hour." For a program called "The Drive," I would think they would cover all of their biggest fan bases during the times that people are actually driving. And not castigate listeners at 5pm who weren't listening at 3pm.

Reactions: CYdTracked

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I would sure be interested to know the listeners' demographics. Like is it really 85% Hawkeye listeners in Central Iowa? Maybe it's just a self-fulfilling prophesy.

I'd expect the lower amount of Cyclone talk in Omaha or Cedar Rapids.

In all fairness, I don't listen to KXNO anymore. I prefer to listen to the podcasts of my choosing.

• Agree
Reactions: cydonk

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I heard somebody call into The Drive a few weeks ago to complain about the incessant conversation about the horrible Hokeye offense. Emory got all defensive saying they talked about Iowa State in the "first hour." For a program called "The Drive," I would think they would cover all of their biggest fan bases during the times that people are actually driving. And not castigate listeners at 5pm who weren't listening at 3pm.

It's not like either show is appointment radio to listen to either. That's why I hate they sometimes dedicate a whole hour to 1 team or the other so if you are one of those people that hop into the car between 4 and 5 and all you hear is just talk about 1 team the "go back and listen to the 1st hour podcast" is not a great line to use. Split up the time a bit so you are not just stuck on 1 topic for a whole hour. I don't really care to listen to KXNO podcasts unless I know there was something good to listen to like Pollard was interviewed or something funny or interesting happened during the ask 5-0 segment.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
It's not like either show is appointment radio to listen to either. That's why I hate they sometimes dedicate a whole hour to 1 team or the other so if you are one of those people that hop into the car between 4 and 5 and all you hear is just talk about 1 team the "go back and listen to the 1st hour podcast" is not a great line to use. Split up the time a bit so you are not just stuck on 1 topic for a whole hour. I don't really care to listen to KXNO podcasts unless I know there was something good to listen to like Pollard was interviewed or something funny or interesting happened during the ask 5-0 segment.
Agreed. I flip it on, but if it's sponsored guests, usually switch to listen to music.

Credit to Sean as he really does do his research and tends to have pretty fair takes on both schools. Getting him out of the "Travis whipping boy" also seems to not just make it a "make Sean sound like a bro or dummy" type of role.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I would sure be interested to know the listeners' demographics. Like is it really 85% Hawkeye listeners in Central Iowa? Maybe it's just a self-fulfilling prophesy.

I'd expect the lower amount of Cyclone talk in Omaha or Cedar Rapids.

In all fairness, I don't listen to KXNO anymore. I prefer to listen to the podcasts of my choosing.

Well Tavern Hawks still don't understand how to use a computer, have jobs, or know what a podcast is so 85% might be true.

Saul_T

Nov 16, 2020
Agreed. I flip it on, but if it's sponsored guests, usually switch to listen to music.

Credit to Sean as he really does do his research and tends to have pretty fair takes on both schools. Getting him out of the "Travis whipping boy" also seems to not just make it a "make Sean sound like a bro or dummy" type of role.
For me, this is how he has branded himself for years and continues to do. They made him the unintelligent bro who Travis could live vicariously through and I can't really shake that image listening to him and Heather. Luckily, there are plenty of options for myself and other listeners.

Reactions: CapnCy

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
KXNO's Miller and Condon during football season is a great listen. I know Condon is a Hawk Homer but he is complimentary of ISU. Said great things about the defense this morning. Also, they have some really great guests each and every week. If you want local sports that's the best show on KXNO and it isn't close.

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
KXNO's Miller and Condon during football season is a great listen. I know Condon is a Hawk Homer but he is complimentary of ISU. Said great things about the defense this morning. Also, they have some really great guests each and every week. If you want local sports that's the best show on KXNO and it isn't close.

What I like about their format is that they keep the show moving. They don't linger on any one topic for very long.