SIGNING DAY CENTRAL 2024

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
I think this is probably the model for recruiting going forward. We don't have the NIL money to fight in that category, so identify and develop, and keep the program and culture stable and strong.
I also think this year's strategy of "bring in a few Senior-year breakouts" makes a ton of sense.

Jan 23, 2008
Glen Ellyn, IL
The talk of the day last year was "This class is JJ and a bunch of bums."
Turns out that 2023 may be our best class ever; studs everywhere. I don't think that 2024 has as much talent as 2023, but it definitely is one of Campbell's best classes.
As I look at the ratings I see that teams we should be competitive with got their share of 4 and 5 star recruits: Texas Tech - one 5 and four 4's, TCU - four 4's, UCF - eight 4's, Iowa - three 4's, Kansas - three 4's, West Virginia - one 4, and Cincinnati - one 4. Iowa State had zero 4's and 5's. Texas's and Oklahoma's moves to the SEC really helped them. Texas had four 5's and fourteen 4's. OU had one 5 and eighteen 4's.

• Dumb
  • Wow
Reactions: nrg4isu and aauummm

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
As I look at the ratings I see that teams we should be competitive with got their share of 4 and 5 star recruits: Texas Tech - one 5 and four 4's, TCU - four 4's, UCF - eight 4's, Iowa - three 4's, Kansas - three 4's, West Virginia - one 4, and Cincinnati - one 4. Iowa State had zero 4's and 5's. Texas's and Oklahoma's moves to the SEC really helped them. Texas had four 5's and fourteen 4's. OU had one 5 and eighteen 4's.
I'm afraid recruits who know they have 4+ stars next to their name are now going to be expecting money up front. We're not currently in a position to play that game, but personally that doesn't bother me much. Outside of Lazard & Breece, most of our 4 star recruits haven't delivered.

Reactions: CyValley

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022
I'm afraid recruits who know they have 4+ stars next to their name are now going to be expecting money up front. We're not currently in a position to play that game, but personally that doesn't bother me much. Outside of Lazard & Breece, most of our 4 star recruits haven't delivered.
guarantee if a recruit starts asking about $$ up front, regardless of star rating, its not a guy CMC/staff wants on campus

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
I will die on the hill of its more important who else wants the guys we want than the star next to his name. That is what concerns me about this class and at this point it’s only a concern as they haven’t even graduated hs yet, but it’s not…great.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
guarantee if a recruit starts asking about $$ up front, regardless of star rating, its not a guy CMC/staff wants on campus
I think it may still be a guy they want on campus but I also think they know that's not a game they're going to be competitive in and one thing this staff does very well, IMO, is cut bait quickly on guys who they don't think they'll get. They do not waste time on guys that they don't think will come here.

BurgundyClone

Apr 15, 2007
East of Omaha
I will die on the hill of its more important who else wants the guys we want than the star next to his name. That is what concerns me about this class and at this point it’s only a concern as they haven’t even graduated hs yet, but it’s not…great.
I agree -though the star rating is (I think) completely based on who offers, so it just depends on what respect they put on your school's offer

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
And this class was built off a 4-8 season. That should start to trend upwards starting with the ‘25 class.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
I absolutely agree when it comes to success and playing lots of freshmen this year!

I think it may be best to truly judge a class based upon a team's success over 4 years.
Correct.
But man...
Abu is a hit
Brahmer is a hit
Brendan Black is a hit
Jack Sadowsky is a hit
Kooper Ebel is a hit
Jamison Patton is a hit
SHOOT Former walkon Drew Surges is a hit.

Likely JJ, Beni, Same and Ta'Shawn James are likely hits.

That's a dang good sign for the class.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
With how the ISU staff recruits, I trust who they go all out for and who they try to hide (Beau Goodwin, Garret Rutledge)

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
I do also wish we got more 4 stars, but people gotta realize 4 stars are closer to 3 stars than 5 stars in talent. Just look at Georgia vs Ole Miss.

Quite frankly our 4 stars don't pan out that often.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
Reminder, stars are important. Consistent winning teams have lots of 4 star guys at a minimum. (Unless their schedules allow them to dodge teams)
To a certain extent. A player who receives a lot of attention will have a more accurate rating than a player who only a couple "scouts" have seen.

• Agree

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
The fact is ISU is never going to be able to recruit to the level of some of those teams you listed because Iowa just does not produce a lot of four and five star talent, and the ones that are tend to either go to EIU or out of state. I have said before ISU needs to do better recruiting here in Iowa, when you are a small rural state you need to take most of the talent each year from the state, go back and look at the top 10 football players from Iowa over the past 5 to 10 years, we are just not getting enough of them. EIU is kicking our butt with instate recruiting has been doing so for quite some time overall.

• Agree
Reactions: cyputz

mitchforcy

Dec 1, 2009
I agree that occasionally this happens. Find the final rankings over the last 10 years and line up recruiting ranks and the pattern is there. Occasionally a team will pop up if the stars ( not recruiting) align and 'have a season'. TCU last year comes to mind.

FYI, Iowa is around a top 25 recruiter for those wondering.
Stars don't mean a whole lot for a single recruit but it definitely matters with your overall roster makeup. It's really not a coincidence that the best 10 - 15 teams on a year in year out basis have a bunch of 4 and 5 stars on their roster.

mitchforcy

Dec 1, 2009
Moberly really intrigues me. I feel he’s a bit raw, but watching his tape he can make some throws that not everyone can make. Reminds me a tad of Drew Lock. Give him some time to learn the ropes and put on weight, but he could be a good one.
He could be really really good in a few years.

Reactions: gocy444