Sleeping on ISU as a Sleeper?

IP Guy

Jun 16, 2007
Here's a new ESPN article ranking potential sleeper teams for each league. Basically, they said a true sleeper would be a team that didn't make the tournament last year but could this year. Notably, that left us a 1 in 3 chance to be that team. K-State was selected.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
optimistic for TJ long term, but this year is going to be rough. we are not a sleeper.

Sleeper for the tournament, almost certainly not. Sleeper to be a lot better than people expect? Absolutely.

This year should be fun. I think we have a lot of talent, and will be energetic and aggressive. But yeah, it would be an absolutely amazing achievement if they were even on the bubble come March.

• Agree
Reactions: cygrads

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I stick by the prediction that if Hunter is a plus player we'll get back to a five hunderish team for the overall season record. (still not good)

Bestaluckcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2009
This sounds different than our football team. Will be fun. Be at the home games win or lose. Of course I will also go to the football games.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
On one hand, it's never been easier to rebuild a team, between massive transfers and the typical freshman being more ready to compete than ever before.

With that said, TJs starting from absolute scratch. Even though I expect things to be rough to start especially, there are probably 7 games in the non-con that should be wins for even a really bad power conference team. I think ISU gets 7 non-con wins, maybe dropping one Florida A&M type game and getting a win against somebody like Oregon St. I expect them to have a really rough first half of the Big 12 season, and things start to come together and a we're seeing a much improved ISU team by the second half of the conference season, to finish with 5 wins in the conference.

Then maybe we can be in the sleeper discussion a year from now.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Get 10 wins and have a fun style of play hinting towards better things. That's a good year one.

^^THIS!! Being 7-5 going into Big 12 play should be the goal. Fred's first year is a perfect comp. You could really see things changing and the game were competitive. Being very competitive at home, improving the rebounding, shooting better from 3 and getting Hunter, Foster and Enurana primed for 2022-23

Seeing a tin of progress from Hunter, Foster and Enaruna really is all I personally want to see. If you can get those 3 to play at an honorable mention All-Big-12 level.. You then market that to a couple immediate grad transfers or Anthony Black and you are back in contention for an NCAA appearance in year 2

IP Guy

Jun 16, 2007
For the record, I personally am not putting any expectations on the team, but here are the keys to us maxing out this year:

(1) Hunter has to be at least as good as advertised (which is pretty darn good);

(2) Gabe has to be a stud both locking down the best guards in the conference and shooting 3Ps at a clip much closer to his freshman year;

(3) Hinson has to play with a chip on his shoulder (think Vital with a better 3P shot) and bring a toughness the team has lacked for a long time;

(4) at least one of Brockington or Enaruna has to play at a Big 12 All Conference level (even 2nd team would do); and

(5) at least one (or maybe a combination) of Foster or Conditt has to be a consistently legit Big 12 post presence (viable scorer, good rebounding and blocking shots).

Can all 5 of those things happen? Yes.

Do I expect all 5 of those things to happen? No.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I’m expecting a typical first year coach season, and nothing more. Just want to see that the guys are responding well to the new staff.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
I think with the talent he kept, what he brought in......the only thing that will keep them from being a bubble team is that they don't gel which is entirely possible. I don't think everyone understands how good Foster, Enaruna and Hunter are/will be, let alone the vet transfers from the Big 10. I'm looking for 18-19 wins.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Get 10 wins and have a fun style of play hinting towards better things. That's a good year one.
Exactly right.
People are forgetting how long it takes transfers to get up to speed and gel as a team.
Hopefully they are all starting to click by the time conference games roll around. Finish anywhere near .500 in the Big 12 and TJ probably gets a contract extension (jimlad)

Help Support Us

Become a patron