Soliday out at KCCI?

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Dumb and Dumber had a bit on this yesterday too: Cityview Online (Civic Skinny)

… Speaking of media folks missing in action, has anyone seen KCCI-TV Channel 8 Sports Director Heidi Soliday? Neither has Skinny, and apparently her five-week-long absence from television is quite the topic of speculation among Des Moines’ sports reporters, one of which tells Skinny that KCCI is forcing Soliday out after 30 years at the end of her contract this year and that it is likely she will not go gently into that good night. “If you notice their new commercials plugging the Big Four, it’s Andy Garman, not Heidi,†our source says, adding that Channel 8’s owners, Hearst-Argyle, might be in for a legal fight because Soliday has made it known to co-workers over the years that she would pursue legal action if she were ever forced out. “The business tends to be cruel to aging women, and if there is any perception that she’s being forced out because of her age or her looks, it could get ugly. My guess is they’ll settle out of court if it comes to that and have her agree not to say anything.†At last look, Soliday is still listed on Channel 8’s Web site as Sports Director, and the station’s general manager confirms that Soliday is still employed but won’t discuss her status. “It could be a risky move because Channel 8 has relentlessly promoted Heidi over the years, and when you’re No. 1 in the market you have to be careful of any change. Secondly, if it happens, you can expect Heidi to go out with guns a-blazing.â€

Sounds like a messy situation. Personally I watch Ch 13 sports when I do watch the news so I hadn't noticed Heidi's absence.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
I quit watching KCCI sports when Pete left. Heidi was unwatchable then and the last time I saw her on TV I thought she was a dude and my wife thought the same thing.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Dumb and Dumber had a bit on this yesterday too: Cityview Online (Civic Skinny)

Sounds like a messy situation. Personally I watch Ch 13 sports when I do watch the news so I hadn't noticed Heidi's absence.

Didn't KCCI have problems with "removing" one of their female anchors a few years ago? Foder or somebody? Or was that WHO?

I never really had any problem with Heidi. As little as I watch the evening news, it doesn't really matter to me. Keith is probably better, but I CAN'T STAND WHO and hated Fales, so rarely watch it.

Last edited:

wolverine68

Mar 30, 2007
Urbandale
www.gvc.edu
I remeber hearing her on one of the morning sports shows a few years ago, she was a totally diferent person on the radio. Her delivery is so stiff on T.V., but she was much better when speaking off the cuff.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
It would be a shame if she sued KCCI because she sucked as broadcaster. Honestly, I would challenge someone to find 5 people who preferred Soliday over Walters or Murphy. That should be the basis of the defense. You find 5 people, you win the case.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
It would be a shame if she sued KCCI because she sucked as broadcaster. Honestly, I would challenge someone to find 5 people who preferred Soliday over Walters or Murphy. That should be the basis of the defense. You find 5 people, you win the case.

That might be the case, but wouldn't that be pretty much the case with any sports director from KCCI when Walters and Murphy are that popular? It'll practically take a Dan Patrick hiring in order to draw audience away from them.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Didn't KCCI have problems with "removing" one of their female anchors a few years ago? Foder or somebody? Or was that WHO?

I never really had any problem with Heidi. She was a little dull but as little as I watch the evening news, it doesn't really matter to me. Keith is probably better, but I CAN'T STAND WHO and hated Fales, so rarely watch it.

I know WHO had a mess when they fired Laurie Groves several years ago but she was in her 30's and Heidi is probably in her 50's? I don't watch KCCI much but she's been there 30 years so to just push her out the door when you are already #1 in the market is kind of a crappy way to go.

And I disagree with you about Fales, I was sad to see him go. I thought he was probably one of the most spontaneous sportscasters in the market and you either love him or hate him but the fact that people felt so strongly on both sides about him to me just backs up my point that he was a good sportscaster. The funniest moment I remember of him was we were watching an I-Cubs game at a 12:15 game last year in the RF bleachers. Andy came out and was getting some film and talked to us and the people sitting nearby. As he was packing up he says "I'm calling it right now, 3 run homer." Everyone was like "huh?" so he explains how the only time the I-Cubs have hit back to back to back home runs he had packed up camera and was on the crapper when it happened so he always seems to miss something good right after he packs up. Keith asked him when he got back if he had got footage of the back to back to back homers which he told Keith he didn't want to know what he was doing when that happened. I can imagine there were some funny faces in that bathroom as you know Andy probably was probably PO'd and saying things in the stall when it happened.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA

It doesn't matter though, she's been there 30 years and she probably has a good case that they are forcing her out because of age.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
It doesn't matter though, she's been there 30 years and she probably has a good case that they are forcing her out because of age.

They could be cheap, it could be salary related and they want bring in someone cheaper.

JJ4ISU

Apr 11, 2006
WDM Side of Waukee
If her contract is up, how would she have any grounds to sue if they decided not to re-new her contract? Personally, I think Channel 8 sports has been poor ever since John Walters left there for Channel 5.

4429 mcc

Aug 29, 2007
Wall Street
Get her out of there and replace with the girl from Fox news at 9...huba huba.

For the early risers have you seen Brooke Bouma (sp?) Al Gore thinks she's let herself go.:smile:

cytheguy

May 23, 2006

For the early risers have you seen Brooke Bouma (sp?) Al Gore thinks she's let herself go.:smile:

Get the blonde from Fox News at 9? To quote Takashi from Revenge of the Nerds, "I dlllink to that!" She's freakin HOT! The only bad thing would be I'd never know what she's talking about. I'd be too busy, you know, imagining things.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

Well Brooke had a baby. But I am still a fan of hers, although in my eyes Nicole from KCWI is the hottest tv girl in the area with Lynn Melling on WHO a close 2nd.

redrocker

Sep 5, 2006
Ames - West-CY'd
Well Brooke had a baby. But I am still a fan of hers, although in my eyes Nicole from KCWI is the hottest tv girl in the area with Lynn Melling on WHO a close 2nd.

I got a survey probably 3 years ago about local news stations, and they asked why I watched channel 13 in the mornings? I told the lady, "Two words, Brooke Bauma". My wife thought I was, and still thinks I am a big dork. It was funny, still like Brooke. Channel 13 just needs to lose that weather guy with the Lisp, You know, the skinny guy that makes me clench my butt cheeks together as tight as I can.:eek:

JJ4ISU

Apr 11, 2006
WDM Side of Waukee
That woman from Fox News at 9 is unbelievable. My wife is starting to get upset that I have to comment every time I see her. She told my kids the other night, "Dad's got a crush!"