Solomon Young Updates

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
Through 3 games:

-Solomon is averaging 14.3 points, 9.7 rebounds and 3.7 blocks per game. He's 2-7 from 3 so far. Coach Otz says he can step out and knock down a 3 so it'll be interesting to see how he does from there this year. He's 11-15 from the line.

-Here's a short video from one of his games. Highlights include multiple players. Has a post move, an alley-oop and a few blocks. (22 in purple) http://youtu.be/CdEzN83lC2M

Cynonymous

Aug 14, 2015
These are great threads btw. I love to updated clips from the season. Young seems like he could really develop into a stretch 4 (like Booker). I don't think he'll ever be a SF because he doesn't seem to have the handle for it, but being a threat from 3 still adds versatility. With some development, he could be the next Ejim.

Last edited:

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Other than the two elite JUCOs I think Young is the newcomer who contributes big next season. By all accounts the kid is a truck and you can really use that in the Big 12 round robin grind even if he isn't a polished scorer.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
I wouldn't count on it. There is a reason we primarily pursue juco big men. Unless you are getting exceptional recruits, big men need a couple years to develop at the next level.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

Any kid who takes a full ride sports scholarship to UCSB is likely making a very fun decision. It'd be like signing up for 4 years of paid for paradise. Spent a little time there recently. Without being totally creepy a google search of something like "UCSB surf girl" will fill in the blanks.

ucsb_aerial2.jpg

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I wouldn't count on it. There is a reason we primarily pursue juco big men. Unless you are getting exceptional recruits, big men need a couple years to develop at the next level.

I don't think Young will be a stud next year but I think physically, he can contribute. Between Young, Carter, Ernst or Lard, one of those guys is going to have be a rotation guy. Otherwise CSP will be throwing that small ball lineup out there every night.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
I don't think Young will be a stud next year but I think physically, he can contribute. Between Young, Carter, Ernst or Lard, one of those guys is going to have be a rotation guy. Otherwise CSP will be throwing that small ball lineup out there every night.
Better hope we secure a transfer.

jim4

Sep 27, 2014
Other than the two elite JUCOs I think Young is the newcomer who contributes big next season. By all accounts the kid is a truck and you can really use that in the Big 12 round robin grind even if he isn't a polished scorer.

I think Jakolby Long has a chance too with his body and being a coaches son.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007

I think Carter and Ernst will get there as upperclassmen, but they will need some Naz Long type improvement for them to give us much next year. Hopefully Ernst gets his redshirt, because he could be our junk yard dog by years 4-5.

Carter is the definition of raw. He's long, athletic and seems like he tries hard. He will need to learn our system at both ends of the floor and learn to take it up in traffic before he can really be counted on.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
From what little I have seen, Carter seems to lack hand eye coordination. We have seen him mis time rebounds and miss or not catch passes. He might be athletic and quick, but doesn't have the timing and skill just yet.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
From what little I have seen, Carter seems to lack hand eye coordination. We have seen him mis time rebounds and miss or not catch passes. He might be athletic and quick, but doesn't have the timing and skill just yet.

Those skills can come with time and experience though.

We have to remember that we didn't see McKay until he was 3 years out of HS. And still McKay doesn't have great hands.

fenton06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2011
Ankeny, IA
Does anyone remember Ejim's stone hands the first couple years? Woof.

I'd love to see Ernst turn into a big that other teams hate to play against. Homan, Vroman, or Rancik please!

sadam

Jan 8, 2014

I'd love to see Ernst turn into a big that other teams hate to play against. Homan, Vroman, or Rancik please!

He still had stone hands his sr year. Loved the guy but it could get frustrating.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez

Yes please. Loved watching Homan dominate the lane.

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
Fans and media tried describing Burton as physical and a dunker. Sure, he is excellent at those but he's more skilled than people give him credit for. I think that is a better description for Young. A couple big blocks and tip dunks so far for Young. He's looking good on defense. Guarding someone who is a lot bigger than him.