Sour Grapes

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
That is what gets lost in translation. They weren't even that good, yet their fans were incessant about claiming the national championship. I think Jorbo even sarcastically or not sarcastically tweeted something along those lines. Too lazy to go check.

That was a pre-Murray team, but had a ton of upperclassmen on it. Garza, Kriener, Jorbo, and Nunge. Connor was also in his 3rd season as a RS SO, but was having statistically his worst season. Wieskamp and Frederick were decent to good players as sophomores. That may have been the year Frederick got hurt and then transferred to Kentucky. Where he now kind of sucks.

They were a classic Fran team with good old guys that knew how to play together but certainly had a low ceiling/high floor.
They finished 35 in the final NET. That translates to a 9 seed. Doesn’t mean they would be a 9 seed, but a variation more than two spots is pretty rare. That team wasn’t going anywhere.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
View attachment 108445
The conference who has won the national championship in back to back years and has been regarded as the best basketball conference for years “just isn’t good” according to the dweebs on Hawkeye insider
Here's how good the Big 12 is; the defending national champions and #2 team in the country has this conference record so far:

KU 69 - 67 OK ST
KU 75 - 72 TTU
KU 76 - 62 WVU
KU 75 - 72 OU
KU 62 - 60 ISU
KSU 83 - 82 KU in OT

Almost every game is a nerve-rattling heart attack experience. Unbelievable parity!

Reactions: isutrevman

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
In 2020 Their NET had them as like an 8 seed, maybe a 7. They were a far better team in 2021 and they
- Did not belong on the same floor as Oregon
- So Oregon was a really dangerous team that was underseeded and poised to go on a run until…
- They got blasted by USC, making USC the darling until…
- They dominated by Gonzaga, who…
- Got handled by Baylor in the National title.

There will always be that win over Grand Canyon. Peak Fran years so far have a win over GCU and 4 embarrassing blowouts of separation from the national title game. That team was a fraud. It was a fraud last year. It was a fraud the Covid year. They are a perfect representative of the Big 10. How bad does it have to be when Seth Davis starts complaining about the committee taking too many big 10 teams and over seeding.

Don't forget about beating Temple and Davidson. Powerhouses.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
He needs to know his lane. It would be like me going after supermodels, no chance in hell they are taking me. Don’t waste any more of your time than a quick ask to get shot down and move on.
Way worse than even Prohm at the transfer portal. He has hit on Uthoff and now Rebraca in his 12 opportunities to Crack the portal. Rebraca would have been a flop too without a covid year to allow him to play til he's 25. He was awful last year in what would have been his only season of eligibility under normal circumstances.

Come to think of it, I can only name one other transfer Fran has landed besides those 2. Bakari Evelyn who was not a P6 caliber player

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Way worse than even Prohm at the transfer portal. He has hit on Uthoff and now Rebraca in his 12 opportunities to Crack the portal. Rebraca would have been a flop too without a covid year to allow him to play til he's 25. He was awful last year in what would have been his only season of eligibility under normal circumstances.

Come to think of it, I can only name one other transfer Fran has landed besides those 2. Bakari Evelyn who was not a P6 caliber player
Just went through their rosters over the years and could only find those two. Obviously if you want to be technical they got Austin Ash and Ogundele back from the portal since they couldn’t get anyone else.

Fran’s biggest issue is he’s way too loyal/stubborn with the recruits he has brought in, where he won’t really try to get help from the portal because he believes the guys that are in his system will be better. Like Iowa has had glaring issues at the PG spot for years but he’s done nothing.

The other thing he does is tries to swing for the fences instead of being a contact hitter. Iowa’s name is constantly “in the mix” of some good transfers but that’s because Fran will go after 2-3, latch on to the very end where the player keeps them in his top 5, then chooses elsewhere. Rinse and repeat.

Reactions: Cyinthenorth

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
If you look back at how the field was projected (various analysts/sites/bracket people), Iowa would have been around 5 or 6 seed range. No way that was set up for a deep run, and UI might not have gotten out of first weekend.
Considering Fran's track record I think that is pretty much a certainty.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Hawkeye.PNG

Posts like these bother me the most. We can't say they're bad? Ok, well I'll just accuse them of being horrible people. Gross **** with 0 evidence to back it up. Character assassinations every 5 seconds are a bad look.

And yes, I know you're reading this Iowa's 247 board. Be better. You cry about us saying this stuff about Fran and his kids but then go and do this? Yeah.

Reactions: isutrevman

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
View attachment 108772

Posts like these bother me the most. We can't say they're bad? Ok, well I'll just accuse them of being horrible people. Gross **** with 0 evidence to back it up. Character assassinations every 5 seconds are a bad look.

And yes, I know you're reading this Iowa's 247 board. Be better. You cry about us saying this stuff about Fran and his kids but then go and do this? Yeah.
I think we, as a ISU fanbase, do/say the same about other programs.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
I think we, as a ISU fanbase, do/say the same about other programs.
I agree with that to an extent. There's certainly some exaggeration made from bias here as well on characters.

I don't think we beat around the bush to accuse other programs of intentionally trying to injure other players like it's the Saints bounty gate scandal though like the quote I posted was