Sour Grapes

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
That is what gets lost in translation. They weren't even that good, yet their fans were incessant about claiming the national championship. I think Jorbo even sarcastically or not sarcastically tweeted something along those lines. Too lazy to go check.

That was a pre-Murray team, but had a ton of upperclassmen on it. Garza, Kriener, Jorbo, and Nunge. Connor was also in his 3rd season as a RS SO, but was having statistically his worst season. Wieskamp and Frederick were decent to good players as sophomores. That may have been the year Frederick got hurt and then transferred to Kentucky. Where he now kind of sucks.

They were a classic Fran team with good old guys that knew how to play together but certainly had a low ceiling/high floor.

If you look back at how the field was projected (various analysts/sites/bracket people), Iowa would have been around 5 or 6 seed range. No way that was set up for a deep run, and UI might not have gotten out of first weekend.

Reactions: Cyinthenorth

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I find this to be an odd take. I don't really care about Iowa and I'm not willing to sacrifice any W's for Fran to stick around. Whether he is there or not has little impact on my ISU fandom other than the Iowa game and I would prefer we won all of the games against Iowa regardless of the coach.

I guess what I mean is IF they got a new coach that was actually a good recruiter and was able to capitalize on B10 money and get their fanbase to buy in, we have a much harder time getting guys like JT Rock and Indrusaitus. We're rolling right now recruiting the Midwest. What we don't need is iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois to start getting major traction. Not getting our primary targets means that competing in the B12 is nearly impossible. If losing in IC every other year helps keep them in mediocrity, I'd sign up for that. We have bigger fish to fry.

• Agree
Reactions: Blackhawk6515

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Funny that they still bash us for the transfers. Most of the successful teams are utilizing the transfer portal.

Not every program can fill their roster with legacies and the HC's offspring.

Reactions: GMackey32

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I think their players and fans honestly believed they had a realistic chance for a National Title run in that year and the year following.
Was Mount Rushmore out that year?

That increased their chances a certain percentage.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Was Mount Rushmore out that year?

That increased their chances a certain percentage.
Are they still claiming winning the NIT is winning a national title? I guess it is, but it's like winning the HS 100 meter dash for the fat kids.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Are they still claiming winning the NIT is winning a national title? I guess it is, but it's like winning the HS 100 meter dash for the fat kids.
I don't think they ever claimed that right? Considering I don't think they've won an NIT title. But they did say that they'd rather make it far in the NIT than lose in the 1st round of the NCAA tournament lol

• Haha
Reactions: GMackey32

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I don't think they ever claimed that right? Considering I don't think they've won an NIT title. But they did say that they'd rather make it far in the NIT than lose in the 1st round of the NCAA tournament lol
They were talking about playing for a national title when they were in the championship game and then (excuse me, Baylor just dunked again) it happened and they said what you posted.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
They made the final and Baylor ran them out of the gym. It was a massacre. laying in Madison Square is neat, but thats all the NIT has.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
They were talking about playing for a national title when they were in the championship game and then (excuse me, Baylor just dunked again) it happened and they said what you posted.
What?? Lol that's absolutely insane. So the CIT is also being played for a national title?

• Winner
Reactions: BCClone

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
What else is there to do in Muscatine other than drink Miller Lite and post on the Hawkeye boards?
Hey, Hey, Hey! I have been here for 33+ years and it has gone from 50-1 Squawk fans to 20-1 Squawk fans. The fact that more high school kids choose ISU over Iowa almost every year is finally starting to catch things up over here. Sure Grandpa/Grandma are die hard huawks, but the parents are Hawk Lite and will follow Cyclones due to their kids. Kids will be closing it even further over next 10 years.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
Hey, Hey, Hey! I have been here for 33+ years and it has gone from 50-1 Squawk fans to 20-1 Squawk fans. The fact that more high school kids choose ISU over Iowa almost every year is finally starting to catch things up over here. Sure Grandpa/Grandma are die hard huawks, but the parents are Hawk Lite and will follow Cyclones due to their kids. Kids will be closing it even further over next 10 years.
I believe this to be true. Our student body has grown at a greater rate and it’s comprised of more in-state kids to the best of my knowledge.

The flip side is that most of their fan base won’t go to college and a good portion of ours does and then leaves Iowa after college.

Another factor is social media, streaming services, etc undermines the very intentional attempt by local newspapers and TV/radio to pretend ISU didn’t exist all those years.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
There are now a few jack rabbit fans there now also.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
It's hard to say what Iowa would have done in the 2020 tournament had it been played...

not. See the 2021 tournament for reference.
In 2020 Their NET had them as like an 8 seed, maybe a 7. They were a far better team in 2021 and they
- Did not belong on the same floor as Oregon
- So Oregon was a really dangerous team that was underseeded and poised to go on a run until…
- They got blasted by USC, making USC the darling until…
- They dominated by Gonzaga, who…
- Got handled by Baylor in the National title.

There will always be that win over Grand Canyon. Peak Fran years so far have a win over GCU and 4 embarrassing blowouts of separation from the national title game. That team was a fraud. It was a fraud last year. It was a fraud the Covid year. They are a perfect representative of the Big 10. How bad does it have to be when Seth Davis starts complaining about the committee taking too many big 10 teams and over seeding.