Southern Scuffle 2019

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I followed the tourney as much as possible while traveling, so unsure of all the individual results. Did any of our wrestlers (besides Gomez beating RBY) beat any ranked opponents?

Mackall beat #20 Townsell of Stanford. Have to look for others

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
I followed the tourney as much as possible while traveling, so unsure of all the individual results. Did any of our wrestlers (besides Gomez beating RBY) beat any ranked opponents?
Mackall beat the Stanford kid (Townsell) who was ranked 20 by 1 publication. Degen beat Rohlfing (and also lost to him) who was ranked around 15. That’s all I can think of off the top of my head.

isufan2

Nov 15, 2014
We had no 165, Parker for one match, & minus our best wrestler Miklus. That's a lot more points and one or two high placers. So another step in the right direction!!

• Agree
Reactions: BigD

Boxer007

Aug 15, 2012
Is Small redshirting this year? Does he even have a redshirt? I have been pleasantly surprised

• Agree
Reactions: csteve

fitzgev

Jan 8, 2011
Pushing your opponent out of bounds is stalling but only if you're doing it to avoid wrestling or just bullrushing them out of bounds without actually attempting a move (like a certain school out east likes to do). It isn't supposed to be stalling if you just go out of bounds while wrestling, like what happened in that match.

I just watched that match and I don't see how you possibly call that stalling in that situation. Mackall appeared to be the aggressor and had been using pressure on the opponent to attempt to create offense the entire match. I don't usually like to rag on a referee, but there were several times in that match where I was shaking my head on the calls that were made. It may be that I am not in sync yet with the current stalling rules regarding the boundaries.

I am definitely impressed with the way the team as a whole is wrestling. They are wrestling hard all 3 periods and the progress from last year is very evident. Hats off to the wrestlers, coaches and athletic administration. The progress is very visible.

MnBrPg

Dec 15, 2015
Kansas City
Damn, those Pedi State uni's look good on their backs!

I promise I'm not trying to start anything, but can we please stop with the pedophile jokes? It really isn't very funny to joke about what happen, and I don't really care to be reminded or have to think about the rape of pre-pubescent children in sports forums. It's also the same type of thing when an Iowa fan says "Lames" or "Clowns". It's very middle school, and just not that funny. Idk.. if I'm in the minority on this I'll find another website I guess. Just a thought.

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
I promise I'm not trying to start anything, but can we please stop with the pedophile jokes? It really isn't very funny to joke about what happen, and I don't really care to be reminded or have to think about the rape of pre-pubescent children in sports forums. It's also the same type of thing when an Iowa fan says "Lames" or "Clowns". It's very middle school, and just not that funny. Idk.. if I'm in the minority on this I'll find another website I guess. Just a thought.

Not to mention, what happened had nothing to do with the wrestling team, or anyone still associated with the university for that matter.

• Agree
Reactions: MnBrPg

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
Making jokes at the expense of the people who were abused would be terrible. Reminding arrogant fans about how their beloved university mishandled and basically swept that abuse under the rug is fine by me.

GrappleCy

Aug 7, 2018
Only real downside of the tournament is Degen looked like a guy who goes 2-2 at NCAAs instead of a guy who is a low AA, and that's a huge difference in team points. Though that's partially offset by Gomez cementing himself in to the AA conversation.

• Agree
Reactions: jmb1498

GrappleCy

Aug 7, 2018
Mackall beat the Stanford kid (Townsell) who was ranked 20 by 1 publication. Degen beat Rohlfing (and also lost to him) who was ranked around 15. That’s all I can think of off the top of my head.

This far in to the season I hesitate to consider guys only ranked by one place to really be ranked. If neither Flo or Intermat thinks they are top 20 then they probably aren't really top 20 (Sorry Coleman). That said, Flo and TOM both rank Townsell at #20 so I'd consider him a fringe top 20 guy. Which is the same label I'd put on Mackall after the last few days.

I totally missed Rohlfing being ranked by Flo because they're the toughest place to look up rankings, especially on mobile, and Intermat and TOM didn't have him ranked.

Last edited:

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Making jokes at the expense of the people who were abused would be terrible. Reminding arrogant fans about how their beloved university mishandled and basically swept that abuse under the rug is fine by me.

Don’t forget, it’s never even acknowledged anymore either. Systematic sexual abuse of children allowed to run rampant because winning football games was more important.

Never forget the damage inflicted on innocent children in the name of wins. Michigan State has had nothing done to them. Baylor the same.

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
Scuffle reaction:

125: Not as great of a tournament as I had hoped for Mackall, but still solid. I still think he should qualify for nationals and is probably a 1-2 or 2-2 guy.

133: Good tournament from Gomez. I'd say he is a mid-AA contender and should at least be R12.

141: Disappointed Parker got concussed, but he wrestled well when he was out there. I'd have him as a R12 guy with a chance to be a low AA

149: Disappointing tournament, but tough to ever count him out of AA with his style. Also tough to count him as a for sure R12 guy with his style. Could be anywhere from 5/6 to going 1-2 or 2-2 at nationals.

157: Straw is probably a fringe qualifier, and will need a solid second half of the season to make it. But, he has shown in the past he can compete with some of the 15-20 ranked wrestlers, so I think he has it in him to qualify.

165: Hopefully targeting a transfer for next year. Tough losing Brady and St. John for the year.

174: Coleman should qualify and seems like ceiling at this point is probably R12 with a more likely result of going 2-2 or so. Still has a ton of potential and I think he will be a good one for the next 3 years.

184: I thought it was a great tournament from Colbray. He hopefully learned from his match with Rasheed, and he competed well with Smith. If he puts it all together, I would say Colbray is an AA contender, but more likely a R12 guy.

197: High AA contender

Hwt: Solid tournament from Gannon. He's right around the top 20 and should qualify. Probably a 1-2 or 2-2 type guy at nationals, but that is still points.

Overall, still trending upwards and still building the depth. I'd say top 20 at nationals would be an achievable goal, and top 15 would be a great tournament. Still a long ways to go and I'm excited to see how the guys continue to develop!

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
At this point Small is redshirting. He will have 2 years of eligibility left after this year.

I think Small will always be a very good depth guy. I have heard the Russian has come in and taken it to Small a little bit, which has me excited for his potential as Small would probably be a fringe top 20 guy right now.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I think Small will always be a very good depth guy. I have heard the Russian has come in and taken it to Small a little bit, which has me excited for his potential as Small would probably be a fringe top 20 guy right now.

So Ramazan is at Iowa State now? Registered for class or just with CRTC training? Dresser mentioned that coming in now was an option, but thought he wanted to hold him off.

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
So Ramazan is at Iowa State now? Registered for class or just with CRTC training? Dresser mentioned that coming in now was an option, but thought he wanted to hold him off.

I heard he is with the CRTC this second semester. If something were to happen to Mackall (injury), he would probably be our 125 pounder.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Those who believe Gomez is a mid AA this year, I hope you’re all correct. If you haven’t, I would suggest looking at 133 though. It is an absolute meat grinder.

Gomez, currently around 10th at 133, only has two guys he can compete against this year that can help him climb the latter, and they happen to be Gross and Fix. Maybe the top 2 guys there. Bridges is also available, but he’s currently outside the top 10.

When you look at 133, the only guy ranked above Gomez (I’m using Intermat) that I question, and it’s Phillippi of Pitt. Then you see Phillippi has beaten Lizak and Pletcher this year. Got stomped by Suriano, but beating Lizak and Pletcher is pretty damn solid for anyone, much less a freshman.

I suppose Erneste is someone I can see Gomez jumping, but I think he’s going to have to beat Gross or Fix at least once this year to garner a seed inside the top 10. From there, who knows, but a seed like that means a brutal road to hoe for AA status.

Just my two cents.

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
Those who believe Gomez is a mid AA this year, I hope you’re all correct. If you haven’t though, I would suggest looking at 133 though. It is an absolute meat grinder.

Gomez, currently around 10th at 133, only has two guys he can compete against this year that can help him climb the latter, and they happen to be Gross and Fix. Maybe the top 2 guys there. Bridges is also available, but he’s currently outside the top 10.

When you look at 133, the only guy ranked above Gomez (I’m using Intermat) that I question, and it’s Phillippi of Pitt. Then you see Phillippi has beaten Lizak and Pletcher this year. Got stomped by Suriano, but beating Lizak and Pletcher is pretty damn solid for anyone, much less a freshman.

I suppose Erneste is someone I can see Gomez jumping, but I think he’s going to have to beat Gross or Fix at least once this year to garner a seed inside the top 10. From there, who knows, but a seed like that means a brutal road to hoe for AA status.

Just my two cents.

I don't necessarily think he will be a mid AA this year. I meant that more as his ceiling. I think he can catch anybody and get hot, and an AA year in itself with this weight class would be phenomenal. Even a R12 tournament would be a good tournament with an opportunity to take another step next year. If I had to guess right now, I would say Gomez will AA, but that is being optimistic.

• Agree
Reactions: enisthemenace

Help Support Us

Become a patron