Southern Scuffle 2019

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I don't necessarily think he will be a mid AA this year. I meant that more as his ceiling. I think he can catch anybody and get hot, and an AA year in itself with this weight class would be phenomenal. Even a R12 tournament would be a good tournament with an opportunity to take another step next year. If I had to guess right now, I would say Gomez will AA, but that is being optimistic.

Upsets and when they occur at NCAA will keep some good guys from AA. Happens every year

GrappleCy

Aug 7, 2018
Those who believe Gomez is a mid AA this year, I hope you’re all correct. If you haven’t, I would suggest looking at 133 though. It is an absolute meat grinder.

Gomez, currently around 10th at 133, only has two guys he can compete against this year that can help him climb the latter, and they happen to be Gross and Fix. Maybe the top 2 guys there. Bridges is also available, but he’s currently outside the top 10.

When you look at 133, the only guy ranked above Gomez (I’m using Intermat) that I question, and it’s Phillippi of Pitt. Then you see Phillippi has beaten Lizak and Pletcher this year. Got stomped by Suriano, but beating Lizak and Pletcher is pretty damn solid for anyone, much less a freshman.

I suppose Erneste is someone I can see Gomez jumping, but I think he’s going to have to beat Gross or Fix at least once this year to garner a seed inside the top 10. From there, who knows, but a seed like that means a brutal road to hoe for AA status.

Just my two cents.

I'm with you there, I think there's a hard line that ends at Fix for guys who are basically locks for the top 4 and Gomez is in the mix with about 8 guys that'll be going for the 5-8 spots. He won't see DeSanto or Roman Bravo-Young again until NCAAs so those wins should really help him come seeding time. But he'll likely have 2 or 3 losses to Fix and a loss or two to Gross and that'll hurt him. Beating Bridges is going to be really important.

And because I can't help it. It's "row to hoe".

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Upsets and when they occur at NCAA will keep some good guys from AA. Happens every year

This is true. Gomez could end up being a bracket buster if he comes in with a high seed.

I’m just not putting a ton of stock into wins over DeSanto and RBY yet. Either of or both those guys could end the season with a LOT of losses, and the book is probably out on Gomez now. Don’t tie up with him.

Gomez and staff should watch that Fix match until they vomit. How Fix approached him is how top guys are going to as well.

Long way until March.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
This is true. Gomez could end up being a bracket buster if he comes in with a high seed.

I’m just not putting a ton of stock into wins over DeSanto and RBY yet. Either of or both those guys could end the season with a LOT of losses, and the book is probably out on Gomez now. Don’t tie up with him.

Gomez and staff should watch that Fix match until they vomit. How Fix approached him is how top guys are going to as well.

Long way until March.
I agree that Gomez is far from a lock to AA, but he is in a group of guys that have a solid chance. You are underselling him.

Fix nearly made the world team last year with wins over guys like Ramos and Zach Sanders. He is currently undefeated last year and this year and has beaten an NCAA finalist and 2 other AAs. That win had little to do with Fix’s approach, but rather his extreme talent. It’s kind of like saying people will use Mark Hall’s game plan for future scouting of how to beat Coleman.

Desanto was a legit R12 last year and should have been an AA and RBY is unproven but a cream of the crop recruit. He would not be going for PSU unless he was a legitimate threat to AA. Those are very good wins and Gomez is ranked about perfectly.

VirginSturgeon

Sep 13, 2017
I'm with you there, I think there's a hard line that ends at Fix for guys who are basically locks for the top 4 and Gomez is in the mix with about 8 guys that'll be going for the 5-8 spots. He won't see DeSanto or Roman Bravo-Young again until NCAAs so those wins should really help him come seeding time. But he'll likely have 2 or 3 losses to Fix and a loss or two to Gross and that'll hurt him. Beating Bridges is going to be really important.

And because I can't help it. It's "row to hoe".
I could see him beating Fix this year, Gross could be another challenge. Beating Bridges is key I believe also. 133 is a loaded weight as was stated earlier and extremely exciting.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Is Gross going to be back anywhere close to 100%? I think he wrestled one match at the beginning of the season and hasn't wrestled since

VirginSturgeon

Sep 13, 2017
Is Gross going to be back anywhere close to 100%? I think he wrestled one match at the beginning of the season and hasn't wrestled since
I read an article in early December where he thought he would be back in January. Not sure if that is still the timeline or not.

Htowncyfan

Mar 18, 2018
Scuffle reaction:

125: Not as great of a tournament as I had hoped for Mackall, but still solid. I still think he should qualify for nationals and is probably a 1-2 or 2-2 guy.

133: Good tournament from Gomez. I'd say he is a mid-AA contender and should at least be R12.

141: Disappointed Parker got concussed, but he wrestled well when he was out there. I'd have him as a R12 guy with a chance to be a low AA

149: Disappointing tournament, but tough to ever count him out of AA with his style. Also tough to count him as a for sure R12 guy with his style. Could be anywhere from 5/6 to going 1-2 or 2-2 at nationals.

157: Straw is probably a fringe qualifier, and will need a solid second half of the season to make it. But, he has shown in the past he can compete with some of the 15-20 ranked wrestlers, so I think he has it in him to qualify.

165: Hopefully targeting a transfer for next year. Tough losing Brady and St. John for the year.

174: Coleman should qualify and seems like ceiling at this point is probably R12 with a more likely result of going 2-2 or so. Still has a ton of potential and I think he will be a good one for the next 3 years.

184: I thought it was a great tournament from Colbray. He hopefully learned from his match with Rasheed, and he competed well with Smith. If he puts it all together, I would say Colbray is an AA contender, but more likely a R12 guy.

197: High AA contender

Hwt: Solid tournament from Gannon. He's right around the top 20 and should qualify. Probably a 1-2 or 2-2 type guy at nationals, but that is still points.

Overall, still trending upwards and still building the depth. I'd say top 20 at nationals would be an achievable goal, and top 15 would be a great tournament. Still a long ways to go and I'm excited to see how the guys continue to develop!

Excellent analysis and I agree 100%. I’m also leaving room for more growth down the stretch and some of these guys capturing lighting in a bottle in March. With our leadership, this is entirely possible.

• Agree
Reactions: stuclone

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I agree that Gomez is far from a lock to AA, but he is in a group of guys that have a solid chance. You are underselling him.

Fix nearly made the world team last year with wins over guys like Ramos and Zach Sanders. He is currently undefeated last year and this year and has beaten an NCAA finalist and 2 other AAs. That win had little to do with Fix’s approach, but rather his extreme talent. It’s kind of like saying people will use Mark Hall’s game plan for future scouting of how to beat Coleman.

Desanto was a legit R12 last year and should have been an AA and RBY is unproven but a cream of the crop recruit. He would not be going for PSU unless he was a legitimate threat to AA. Those are very good wins and Gomez is ranked about perfectly.

Wasn’t trying to undersell Gomez. He’s really good. My intent was to ensure folks know what is ahead of him.

133 has, by my count, 7 returning AA’s from last year. 2 of those were AAs at 125.

1. Gross - defending champ, currently ranked #1
2. Micic - finished 2nd, currently rated #2
3. Suriano - finished 2nd at 125, currently #3
4. Tariq Wilson - finished 3rd, currently ranked 4th
5. Pletcher - finished 4th, currently ranked 7th (!)
6. Lizak - finished 4th at 125 (losing in OT against NATO), currently ranked 8th
7. Bridges - finished 8th, currently ranked 12th

You replace those who are no longer there a couple of freshman in Phillippi (as mentioned above, he has beaten Pletcher and Lizak this year) at #6 and Fix (a guy who teched his way to a junior world title, and bumped the dude who finished 5th at 133 to 141) at #5.

Again, not trying to undersell Gomez. Just add some context/perspective that maybe not all have/know.

GrappleCy

Aug 7, 2018
Have to say i do love that kid. He stuck it out when it looked like he may never start for them. Now he is a force

While it's cool for Cassar that he's getting his shot there's no way in hell him taking over for a returning senior that's a 2x AA isn't going to be used to recruit hard against Penn State going forward by teams like Iowa State that are a step below them in prestige. How many times has Penn State had 2 AA caliber wrestlers at a weight with one not getting the opportunity to compete? Guys only have 4 years and there's no reason to spend any of them sitting on the sidelines. As the NCAA has gotten more relaxed on transfers I bet PSU and other lose more and more guys after their redshirt year when they realize they'll only be competing in the room.

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
While it's cool for Cassar that he's getting his shot there's no way in hell him taking over for a returning senior that's a 2x AA isn't going to be used to recruit hard against Penn State going forward by teams like Iowa State that are a step below them in prestige. How many times has Penn State had 2 AA caliber wrestlers at a weight with one not getting the opportunity to compete? Guys only have 4 years and there's no reason to spend any of them sitting on the sidelines. As the NCAA has gotten more relaxed on transfers I bet PSU and other lose more and more guys after their redshirt year when they realize they'll only be competing in the room.
Dresser has also been quoted in an interview about how important transfer recruiting will be going forward with the new rules. It adds a whole new layer to roster building and changing lineups.

Reactions: VirginSturgeon