Southern Scuffle

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
- Earl Hall is young. Has flashes of greatness, but is inconsistent. Young guys, unless they are elite, have that. Pretty sure we signed a kid who could move in here down the line
- Not sure what Bauer's ceiling is, but I felt he wrestled tough in this tournament. Again, young.
- Liked what I saw from Little Moreno, but we also have Meeks coming back. Hopefully the redshirt year has been good for him
- Been disappointed in Goettl, but with Meeks coming back, Gabe can potentially move up to challenge Luke
- Was impressed with Molina in this tournament
- Concerned about 165
- Lelund is young, but wrestling great. Weatherman is a grinder, who can potentially move up
- Have a good one coming in to take over for Gadson
- I don't like to talk about 285

i am sure buf or Judoka can fill in where I missed something.

Overall, I don't think anyone is satisfied, but there IS improvement. If you don't see it, I don't know what to tell ya.

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields
Seems to me the program is where some want it to be. That's what bothers me.
You don't get it. Luther blue nailed it. Start a thread about your unhappiness with our fan base being satisfied. Quit turning every other thread about your agenda.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Seems to me the program is where some want it to be. That's what bothers me.

I noticed you don't post much about the basketball program. That couldn't be because there isn't anything to run down could it? I bet it is. Your schtick of just constantly running everything at ISU down is getting so ******* old.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
- Concerned about 165

Moreno had a bad tournament but he wasn't losing to chumps. I think he was looking ahead to Taylor and that cost him the first match. Then he tightened up on the backside and lost to a really good wrestler from the Citadel. He's having a slump right now (and will drop in the rankings next week to probably around 10th) but his slump would still put him R12 or low AA.

Beard, on the other hand. Sound the alarms because that was real bad.

Overall one thing that bothered me was how many matches were 0-0 going in to the second period. What happened to the offense we had in the opening round?

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
We placed at 2 weights. Are you guys still thinking top 5 in OK City?
For someone all about making sure people understand you, you do a horrible job understanding other's posts. I asked where people thought we would end up and if we could make a run at top 6,5. Obviously if you knew anything that would mean everything would have to go according to plan with some upsets, which happens all the time in the wrestling world. So yes because you are a tool I honestly believe if everything would to fall in the right place we could be a top 5 team, more than likely end up as a top 8-10 team though.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
Moreno had a bad tournament but he wasn't losing to chumps. I think he was looking ahead to Taylor and that cost him the first match. Then he tightened up on the backside and lost to a really good wrestler from the Citadel. He's having a slump right now (and will drop in the rankings next week to probably around 10th) but his slump would still put him R12 or low AA.

Beard, on the other hand. Sound the alarms because that was real bad.

Overall one thing that bothered me was how many matches were 0-0 going in to the second period. What happened to the offense we had in the opening round?
Judoka as always hard to argue with you on any of those points. Moreno I think will get it turned around at still end up low AA.

Beard who knows what that was all about. Head scratch.

No early offense and aggression killed us. I think they got to comfortable after that great first run, they stepped of the gas peddle trying to go back to a chess match strategy. Need to go full throttle all 3 periods, or in some cases just the first period and pin the guy. As you and I agreed on in the past, if a kid gets caught trying to be aggressive I wont be as upset as if he gets caught trying to be conservative.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I was pleased with some and disappointed with others.
I was pleased with Dakota, Gabe, and Goettl.
I expected more out of these 3 when the season started and seen some of that in this tourney. Keep up the progress guys!
I am getting about what I expected out of Molina, Weatherman, Weatherspoon. Keep it going guys!
Kyven had a great tourney and renewed my belief that he can win it all in March
I was impressed with Carson Powell. I expected 0-2 and he was real competitive in most matches. He is improving

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Also conditioning is not an issue. This team was strong in the 3rd periods and ots. We had several come from behind wins in the 3rd period and lost very few leads in the 3rd.
We are to cautious in the 1st and playing catchup to many times

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Day after thoughts:
125: Hall needs to get consistent. We need the guy who had a tight match with Clark, beat Martinez, and was leading Peters before getting caught to show up more often. I'm hoping that'll happen this year.
133: Bauer did a lot better than I expected, Shayden had trouble his first time down to 133. If they can keep going like this 133 will be much less of a hole than it was the first half of the season.
141: Similar to Bauer, little Moreno outperformed what I thought he'd do. Needs to keep showing steady improvement though, he's not there yet. He's sitting right outside the top 20 but needs a signature win or two to get an NCAA spot.
149: Glad to see Goettl have a decent tournament. He still isn't at where I expected him to be prior to the season but he was wrestling his best yet the past few days. Like Gabe though, he needs some signature wins if he is going to qualify for NCAAs this season.
157: Kind of disappointed here. I don't expect Nicholson or Molina to be AAs but I don't expect to see them losing to unranked guys with any frequency.
165: Already posted above, Moreno is in a slump which he hopefully breaks out of soon.
174: Would have liked to see Tanner beat Wilps but other than that a good showing out of both guys. I think Tanner is the guy here just because he has more upside this season.
184: Welcome to 184, Lelund Weatherspoon. Beard lost his chance at being an autoqualifier with his performance unless he starts going to open tournaments every weekend and beats up on backups and redshirting freshmen.
197: Kyven continues to get it done. I'm worried that he's going to lose one of these close matches but he always pulls out a win. He's 0-3 against Schiller for his career now but he'll get him one more time next month and then hopefully again in the NCAA finals. Kyven really solidified his hold on the #2 ranking yesterday.
HWT: Open tryouts on Monday

Last edited:

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I think mental toughness of coming back on the backside of this tourney or NCAA, is what was achieved at the Scuffle.
If you lose early to somebody you should beat, the road to placing got over twice as tough.
I think our guys that started the 2nd day on the back side, needed 6 or 7 wins to get to the 3rd place match. That is mentally challenging even thinking about that, much less achieving it.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Though I should note that if The Citadel gets Khishignyam's eligiblity issues cleared up then Gabe's win over him would become the type of signature win he would need for an NCAA pre-qualifier spot. As that would give him a big RPI boost.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
Day after thoughts:
125: Hall needs to get consistent. We need the guy who had a tight match with Clark, beat Martinez, and was leading Peters before getting caught to show up more often. I'm hoping that'll happen this year.
133: Bauer did a lot better than I expected, Shayden had trouble his first time down to 133. If they can keep going like this 133 will be much less of a hole than it was the first half of the season.
141: Similar to Bauer, little Moreno outperformed what I thought he'd do. Needs to keep showing steady improvement though, he's not there yet. He's sitting right outside the top 20 but needs a signature win or two to get an NCAA spot.
149: Glad to see Goettl have a decent tournament. He still isn't at where I expected him to be prior to the season but he was wrestling his best yet the past few days. Like Gabe though, he needs some signature wins if he is going to qualify for NCAAs this season.
157: Kind of disappointed here. I don't expect Nicholson or Molina to be AAs but I don't expect to see them losing to unranked guys with any frequency.
165: Already posted above, Moreno is in a slump which he hopefully breaks out of soon.
174: Would have liked to see Tanner beat Wilps but other than that a good showing out of both guys. I think Tanner is the guy here just because he has more upside this season.
184: Welcome to 184, Lelund Weatherspoon. Beard lost his chance at being an autoqualifier with his performance unless he starts going to open tournaments every weekend and beats up on backups and redshirting freshmen.
197: Kyven continues to get it done. I'm worried that he's going to lose one of these close matches but he always pulls out a win. He's 0-3 against Schiller for his career now but he'll get him one more time next month and then hopefully again in the NCAA finals. Kyven really solidified his hold on the #2 ranking yesterday.
HWT: Open tryouts on Monday
Judoka will I be seeing you in there Monday? I'm afraid I'm a little light for that spot though!

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
We've got a few Iowa high school champions on the football team. Make it happen Rhoads. Let them free. Unleash Levi Peters to the world.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I got 2 and was Dan Gable Outstanding wrestler in 1980-81. Got a big traveling trophy to store for a year. We wrestled the finals after the Iowa State vs Oklahoma State dual in Hilton. Was pretty cool. Our high school team came done for that dual and stayed afterward to watch.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
I got 2 and was Dan Gable Outstanding wrestler in 1980-81. Got a big traveling trophy to store for a year. We wrestled the finals after the Iowa State vs Oklahoma State dual in Hilton. Was pretty cool. Our high school team came done for that dual and stayed afterward to watch.
Looks like we got our new heavyweight!!!

Also agree unleash Levi.. FEAR THE BEARD!! The girls basketball team got the volleyball player, let us take our pick of some footballers already. Time to email JP.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I wrestled 134, I would but I have used up my eligibility and can't make the minimum weight, YET!

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
For someone all about making sure people understand you, you do a horrible job understanding other's posts. I asked where people thought we would end up and if we could make a run at top 6,5. Obviously if you knew anything that would mean everything would have to go according to plan with some upsets, which happens all the time in the wrestling world. So yes because you are a tool I honestly believe if everything would to fall in the right place we could be a top 5 team, more than likely end up as a top 8-10 team though.

And what happened when I responded the chances were remote? I got ripped on. Standard.

Btw...whomever said I've never posted about hoops is wrong. It isn't often but it has happened. I'm not a big basketball guy. Plus, things are going well and Internet circle jerks aren't my style.