Southern Summer Trip - Arkansas, Louisiana and Mississippi

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
The family and I will be hitting some Southern States for a Zoo trip. We are visiting Zoos in Little Rock, New Orleans and Either Jackson or Hattiesburg, Mississippi. Looking for other suggestions of things to do, places to visit in this area. Anyone have experience in these places.

My son wants to see a Zoo in every state and these 3 will get us to 21 total so that is the reason to visit the cities above.

Thanks in advance for any information.....

Reactions: NWICY and IASTATE07

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I was going to rip on your vacation choice but the zoo trip in every state sounds pretty neat, though I'm guessing Hawaii and Alaska might be the hardest to knock off.

He might like the trout hatching farm at the base of Table Rock lake if you going by it. Lots of great big fish you can walk right by and feed if they haven't changed it from a few yrs ago.

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I was going to rip on your vacation choice but the zoo trip in every state sounds pretty neat, though I'm guessing Hawaii and Alaska might be the hardest to knock off.

He might like the trout hatching farm at the base of Table Rock lake if you going by it. Lots of great big fish you can walk right by and feed if they haven't changed it from a few yrs ago.

We have Hawaii taken care of. We were out for the Maui Invitational this November to cheer on the Clones and we hit the Maui Ocean Center to knock Hawaii off the list. Alaska will be much tougher

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
If you're looking for animals you can check out the Barataria Preserve in JEan Lafitte National Preserve while in New Orleans. Probably 25 minutes south of New Orleans. Neat little trail that runs through some swamps and the two times I was out there there were always gators and such to see.

Definetly a cool road trip idea. Oh, and be prepared to sweat. A lot. The heat and humidity in the summer is real.

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
If you're looking for animals you can check out the Barataria Preserve in JEan Lafitte National Preserve while in New Orleans. Probably 25 minutes south of New Orleans. Neat little trail that runs through some swamps and the two times I was out there there were always gators and such to see.

Definetly a cool road trip idea. Oh, and be prepared to sweat. A lot. The heat and humidity in the summer is real.

Great suggestion. We will bring lots of shirts and spend plenty of time at the hotel pool......We know it will be HOT but will power thru.....

sclotz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
The battle of New Orleans battlefield is in chalmette, la. Audubon park is by tulane university in new orleans. Pensacola, fl has a great naval aviation museum. Great for kids and adults.

• Agree
Reactions: Jnecker4cy

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
It'll be sticky (but you already know that).

If you're as South as N. Orleans, the Gulf Coast beaches in MS and AL are close-ish and really nice. Great sand and they're usually very large with clean water. Not sure how locals feel about the nickname "The Redneck Riviera" but I've heard it used a lot. Really surprised me how gorgeous the beaches and water were.

Memphis is on the Arkansas border and has a zoo. Mud Island is kind of cool for kids (and for adults if you're a fan of T. Cruise's "The Client"). Maybe you can't sneak away to listen to some good blues on Beale St. with a kid in tow but worth it if you can.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
The family and I will be hitting some Southern States for a Zoo trip. We are visiting Zoos in Little Rock, New Orleans and Either Jackson or Hattiesburg, Mississippi. Looking for other suggestions of things to do, places to visit in this area. Anyone have experience in these places.

My son wants to see a Zoo in every state and these 3 will get us to 21 total so that is the reason to visit the cities above.

Thanks in advance for any information.....

My suggestion to is stay away from Hattiesburg. I spent several months down there. Total crap hole.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
FYI - Arkansas has dry counties if you want a drink or two at the end of the day. On the way back from New Orleans I stayed in Conway (just north of Little Rock) needless to say I was disappointed when I couldn't get a drink.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
When in NOLA... put the kids in the pool and grab a 6 pack of Abita Amber. Good Stuff!!

Not sure how old your kids are but the WWII museum in NOLA is super cool.

Lastly go the the Gumbo Shop in middle of French Quarter to eat. Don't look at menu, just order the St Petersburg Fish. Blackened whitefish with a crab-cake and shrimp on top drowned in a creamy garlic butte sauce.

• Agree

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Vicksburg Battlefield National Park is spectacular. Plan on spending at least half of a day, if not more, there. You could spend the rest of the day exploring downtown Vicksburg itself.

I'd recommend driving on the Natchez Trace. Maybe not the whole length of it but at least for a part of it. The Emerald Mound Indian Burial Sight is kind of cool and is a pretty quick stop.

In Louisiana, go on a swamp tour and plantation tour. Definitely explore the French Quarter. With a child, you probably don't want to be there after 8-9 at night (you will want to see the lights when it's dark though). Also, don't wander very far to the north or east of the main section of Bourbon Street. Eat beignets at Cafe DuMond, a muffuletta (I'd recommend Central Grocery), and see the courtyard at Pat O'Briens. There's a cool neighborhood about a half mile south of the French Quarter on Tchoupitoulas in the Warehouse District. It's like a miniature, cleaner, more family friendly French Quarter. Lucy's Retired Surfers is at about the center of the neighborhood.

Reactions: IASTATE07

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Vicksburg Battlefield National Park is spectacular. Plan on spending at least half of a day, if not more, there. You could spend the rest of the day exploring downtown Vicksburg itself.

I'd recommend driving on the Natchez Trace. Maybe not the whole length of it but at least for a part of it. The Emerald Mound Indian Burial Sight is kind of cool and is a pretty quick stop.

In Louisiana, go on a swamp tour and plantation tour. Definitely explore the French Quarter. With a child, you probably don't want to be there after 8-9 at night (you will want to see the lights when it's dark though). Also, don't wander very far to the north or east of the main section of Bourbon Street. Eat beignets at Cafe DuMond, a muffuletta (I'd recommend Central Grocery), and see the courtyard at Pat O'Briens. There's a cool neighborhood about a half mile south of the French Quarter on Tchoupitoulas in the Warehouse District. It's like a miniature, cleaner, more family friendly French Quarter. Lucy's Retired Surfers is at about the center of the neighborhood.

Great info. Our son is 14, looking for a place for some Jazz that is family friendly. So you would stay in the warehouse district as opposed to the French Quarter?

Agkistrodon

Feb 14, 2009
FYI - Arkansas has dry counties if you want a drink or two at the end of the day. On the way back from New Orleans I stayed in Conway (just north of Little Rock) needless to say I was disappointed when I couldn't get a drink.
Not only are a large portion of counties dry, but even some wet counties have dry areas. And some cities also prevent sale of alcohol on Sundays, whereas others do not. It's almost impossible to keep up with when traveling.

tjh1984

Feb 11, 2009
New Orleans
Great info. Our son is 14, looking for a place for some Jazz that is family friendly. So you would stay in the warehouse district as opposed to the French Quarter?
I live in the warehouse district and its much more quiet then the FQ, if you have kids with you it might be the safer bet. I know from experience as I have lived in both the FQ and the warehouse district. The warehouse district is a really cool area, lots of the cities top restaurants are there.

For kid friend Jazz places you might want to find a Jazz brunch. A bunch of places do that around the city on the weekends. A cool place to do that is Superior Seafood on St. Charles. Quick ride on the street car from downtown.

• Agree