Info: Spam Posts - System Update

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
As some of the late night/early morning members might have noticed, there has been a gradual increase in the number of spam related posts over the past month. To help stop the problem, I've made some system adjustments and enhancements this morning that should prevent nearly all of the nonhuman (spam bots) registrations & automated post. There have been measures in place before, but this new technique is much more proven.

I've tracked all of the spam-related accounts to China and have also put in some stronger filters for people registering using an IP address from the China region.

Thanks,

Jeremy Lind

ornryactor

Jun 3, 2006
Ames
Thanks, Jeremy. I've been seeing a pretty sharp increase in bot spam in the last two weeks on every online community I'm a part of, so I know it's not just us. (You're the only admin to do anything about it, though!)

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
Actually, I'm going to miss them. In the wee hours of the morning, we used to have these wonderful one-way conversations which made me feel wanted and worthwhile.

Oh, well, I'll be in CST in less than 2 weeks, so I wouldn't see them anyway.

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
Actually, I'm going to miss them. In the wee hours of the morning, we used to have these wonderful one-way conversations which made me feel wanted and worthwhile.

Oh, well, I'll be in CST in less than 2 weeks, so I wouldn't see them anyway.

So... you're moving to the Mountain Time zone? because currently CF is in CDT... and will still be in 2 weeks :wink:

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I was thinking about this the other day. You could just not allow people to create a thread if they have less than say 5 posts. That would curb it also I would think, and probably not mess things up too much for n00bs.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Time to load CF up with Spam...

spam-collection-2007-06.jpg