SPECIAL: On Allen Lazard's fight to make the Green Bay Packers

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Its just plan hard to make a living in the NFL, good luck to Lazard, he just needs a break or two and he can make some decent money.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Dang, 8,000 a week. Wish I was a little bit taller

giphy.gif

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
$8,000 a week is great, but a rookie on the 53 man roster makes $480,000 per year. Lazard is a 2nd year player, so he would make a little more.
The NFL is brutal, none of the contracts are guaranteed, just the signing bonus, its not like the NBA or MLB, where if they cut or release you, they still have to pay you if under contract.

The NFL, you have to make the team, each and every year, and the salary for fringe players is always on the front offices mind to stay under the cap.

• Informative
Reactions: skibumspe

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
$8,000 a week is great, but a rookie on the 53 man roster makes $480,000 per year. Lazard is a 2nd year player, so he would make a little more.
The NFL is brutal, none of the contracts are guaranteed, just the signing bonus, its not like the NBA or MLB, where if they cut or release you, they still have to pay you if under contract.

The NFL, you have to make the team, each and every year, and the salary for fringe players is always on the front offices mind to stay under the cap.
Sorry, I can’t call making a minimum of $480K and actually having to work for it “brutal”.

• Agree
Reactions: Cytown12

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Sorry, I can’t call making a minimum of $480K and actually having to work for it “brutal”.

Work for it and taking impacts the equivalent of multiple car crashes every week are a bit different.

My chances of paralysis and having a lasting injury are pretty low at my job.

Football is a rough game. The NFL is a ruthless meat grinder

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Work for it and taking impacts the equivalent of multiple car crashes every week are a bit different.

I took the “NFL is brutal” comment as referring solely to the absence of guaranteed contracts, in relation to MLB and the NBA.

Pretty sure that both worker’s compensation laws and collective bargaining ensure that if an NFL player gets hurt at work, they’re going to get paid.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

How physical are the practices? I'd assume not very...practice squad might be the safest (physically) job outside the kickers and punter.

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009

My son and I both played line in college with and against future NFL players. Unless you have been in the trenches it is impossible to understand the physical nature of the sport at that level. Yes, it is brutal but it is also a chance to unload a legal hit which is not allowed in the rest of our society outside of athletics. We both have permanent injuries but would do it again in a heartbeat.

• Informative
Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Wow, great news for Lazard. Not sure how often he will be "active" but still shows what Packers think of him.

Sooo, has he been practicing at the TE spot? Or do they not need the extra tight-end and just want him on the roster.

BCoffClone125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
Wow, great news for Lazard. Not sure how often he will be "active" but still shows what Packers think of him.

Great news! When I saw Sternberger was going to the IR, I thought Lazard might get promoted. Not sure if he'll play much on offense, but I imagine he'll get some special teams action on Thursday.

Help Support Us

Become a patron