Speed camera

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
I can't disagree with this argument more. A device that is designed to enforce speed limits has nothing to do with safety? That is wild you could think that. Are there places that have decided to create "speed traps" as others call them, sure. How can you call them speed traps, though? If you just drive under the limit, you won't have a problem.

Based on how lopsided the vote was in the Legislature, I'm obviously in the small minority that believes there are too many menaces on the road. A bunch of us got passed on I-35 South last week by someone going around 100 and using the right shoulder as a lane, right before entering the construction zone. Based on the lack of patrol vehicles I passed during the next few miles, I'm assuming that person got away scot-free. A camera could have helped here. Also, the fines for speeding are ridiculously low. You can drive 30mph over the limit and your fine would only be $150. No wonder that everyone drives recklessly.
30mph would also include a loss of license. I think the limit is 25mph in Iowa.

There also seems to be far less patrol cars out then there used to be. Other states seem to patrol much more.

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
This came up multiple years and didn't pass. I think we're starting to see signs some small towns were pushing it too far and thus the response from the legislature this time.

That being said, a lot of "speed" issues are actually design issues. Roadways can be designed better to discourage speed and this works much better than speed limits because people tend to drive to the comfortability of that speed regardless of the posted limit. Revenue-generating speed traps incentivize keeping the problematic design.
I'm not going to disagree with you about design, in theory. But if you introduce curves on the interstate, it generally leads to the same dumb drivers not reducing their speed at all, or 18-wheelers crossing over the lane lines more often.

The bigger problem is, how do you address the epidemic of bad driving on the existing road infrastructure we have? Because clearly what we are doing is not working, and the solution seems to be to further eliminate any existing mechanisms for doing this. "Trusting Iowans to do the right thing" ain't working. Same thing is true with all the legislation being passed locking localities from raising property taxes, pushing a constitutional amendment that would make it nearly impossible to ever raise income taxes in the future, while also gutting the existing structures to collect revenue - which will, at a not too distant point, bankrupt the state and make it impossible for any communities to address the situation with anything but cutting, cutting, cutting. There's a single-minded mentality in the Legislature right now and things are not looking up for us.

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA

There also seems to be far less patrol cars out then there used to be. Other states seem to patrol much more.
I would agree that patrol officers are much less visible than I remember previously. The exception would be on a Sunday afternoon going through Ankeny, where they make their regular show of force.

BoomerClone

Oct 27, 2010
North Carolina
Not a speed camera but I got “caught” in Iowa going 85 on I80. Had to drive home for a family emergency a few weeks back. Pulled over outside of Des Moines as I was heading into town after 16 hours of driving. I was in a group of 4 cars all traveling the same speed. Guess who got pulled over, the one car without Iowa plates. Figures. $175 donated to the state.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I would agree that patrol officers are much less visible than I remember previously. The exception would be on a Sunday afternoon going through Ankeny, where they make their regular show of force.

The funny thing is there's a good deal more police overall in Iowa than ever. That's been an increasing number for 30 years.

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
The funny thing is there's a good deal more police overall in Iowa than ever. That's been an increasing number for 30 years.
We see the local police frequently in our town, they drive through our neighborhood at least a couple of times every week - I just don't see many State Patrol officers anymore on the interstates. So I think both can be possible.

Reactions: wxman1

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
We see the local police frequently in our town, they drive through our neighborhood at least a couple of times every week - I just don't see many State Patrol officers anymore on the interstates. So I think both can be possible.
Well ten of them are *ahem* in another state.

• Winner
Reactions: DSM4Cy and wxman1

AlCyJim

Aug 11, 2022

well don't we keep shipping them to Texas instead of keeping our roads safe?

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I'm not going to disagree with you about design, in theory. But if you introduce curves on the interstate, it generally leads to the same dumb drivers not reducing their speed at all, or 18-wheelers crossing over the lane lines more often.

The bigger problem is, how do you address the epidemic of bad driving on the existing road infrastructure we have? Because clearly what we are doing is not working, and the solution seems to be to further eliminate any existing mechanisms for doing this. "Trusting Iowans to do the right thing" ain't working. Same thing is true with all the legislation being passed locking localities from raising property taxes, pushing a constitutional amendment that would make it nearly impossible to ever raise income taxes in the future, while also gutting the existing structures to collect revenue - which will, at a not too distant point, bankrupt the state and make it impossible for any communities to address the situation with anything but cutting, cutting, cutting. There's a single-minded mentality in the Legislature right now and things are not looking up for us.
If you think Iowa is full of bad drivers you need to visit other states.

• Agree
Reactions: wxman1 and alarson

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
If you think Iowa is full of bad drivers you need to visit other states.
Iowa is full of bad drivers, but there are worse drivers in other places. Don't worry, I have visited many other states. Driving in nearly every major metropolitan area in the country is taking your life, or at least the condition of your vehicle, into your own hands. Drivers in Texas are unbelievably bad.

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
Based on what I can find we are better than average in both motor vehicle crash deaths per capita and per 100 million miles.
Yay, we are better than the average!

When we live in a relatively low-population state, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect drivers to do the following:
  • Drive around the speed limit, 5mph under or 5mph over is reasonable (within the margin of error). Driving 30mph under the limit on the interstate, while legal, is a dumb move and creates safety issues as well.
  • Give reasonable following distance for the speed, tailgating or cutting in front and nearly hitting the front bumper of the car you're cutting off is not safe, bumper-to-bumper traffic at full speed on an interstate is amazingly unsafe and is worse than just speeding
  • Signal before you change lanes, then check to make sure you actually can change - not just start moving over obliviously while hoping people will move out of the way or slam on their brakes to avoid hitting you
  • Not do double or triple lane-changes, driving a real vehicle is not part of a videogame
  • Stay in the right lane unless passing, left lane campers aren't OK
  • Get over when a bunch of cars are trying to enter the interstate so there isn't a major collision of cars on the on-ramp, yielding is a necessary part of driving on clogged roads
  • Don't make everyone else suffer or have to drive defensively because you're running late and just could care less about anyone but yourself
There are obviously many more things.

cedarstrip

Aug 26, 2013
I can't disagree with this argument more. A device that is designed to enforce speed limits has nothing to do with safety? That is wild you could think that. Are there places that have decided to create "speed traps" as others call them, sure. How can you call them speed traps, though? If you just drive under the limit, you won't have a problem.

Based on how lopsided the vote was in the Legislature, I'm obviously in the small minority that believes there are too many menaces on the road. A bunch of us got passed on I-35 South last week by someone going around 100 and using the right shoulder as a lane, right before entering the construction zone. Based on the lack of patrol vehicles I passed during the next few miles, I'm assuming that person got away scot-free. A camera could have helped here. Also, the fines for speeding are ridiculously low. You can drive 30mph over the limit and your fine would only be $150. No wonder that everyone drives recklessly.
Be careful you might be making an argument against cameras here. The menaces know where the camera are and the cops are still helping OJ look for the real killers since they don't need to do traffic anymore.

cedarstrip

Aug 26, 2013
The simple way to handle speed cameras is have 100% of the fine go to the DNR trust fund or the VA or some other non related agency. Then make the jurisdiction with the camera pay the administrative cost of the cameras. It will take 2 seconds for them to decide they no longer care about "safety".

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006

When these cameras were first put in place, we were told that they were going to be placed where safety is an issue and are hard to run radar. I think there were a few of places where this was actually true. Other places like where they are located on 235, have never had major issues 15 years ago, and have not seen a decrease since.

Yes, you experienced a bad driver, that happens.