Speed Traps- 5/7/09

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
Today, the GTSB (Governor's Traffic Safety Bureau) will be conducting numerous speed traps throughout the State of Iowa.

Law enforcement focuses on seat belts - MessengerNews.net | News, Sports, Jobs, Community Info. - Messenger News

I saw four speed traps on US Highway 30 this morning between State Center and Ames. Cops from all over Story County were spotted all along the highway pulling over and ticketing motorists near Colo, and in Ames. I counted roughly 20 cars pulled over in my commute to Ames today.

DJK15

Apr 17, 2008
Does anyone find it strange that our "public servants" set up traps for the public?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I've seen many, many traps in the Des Moines area lately. Pretty much from the MLK exit up to the south end of Ankeny. Atleast 5 cops at a time ranging from regular cars, to suv's, and I have seen a camaro.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
Not really traps, if you're speeding or don't have your seatbelt you make the choice, cops are just doing there jobs at trying to make it safe.
And I do speed, but if i get pulled over i'll accept my ticket/warning and not *****.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I kind of wish they would spend their time focusing on catching the rapist.

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
Does anyone find it strange that our "public servants" set up traps for the public?

The fact that they need ISU, Huxley, and Story City cops to patrol and pull over 20-30 people at a time on Highway 30 in Colo seems a bit much.

isubeatle

Aug 9, 2006
Des Moines
as far as seat belts go, if someone wants to not wear one and die, that's fine with me, i don't care.

as far as the speed limits go...it's dumb. people are gonna drive at the speed they are comfortable with. 78 is about where i'm comfortable at. and i would think something like a speed trap would makes things a little bit unsafe as it disrupts the natural flow of traffic.

clones26

Nov 8, 2006
Urbandale

I kind of wish they would spend their time focusing on catching the rapist.

All they need to do is set a trap with this guy! :jimlad:

ChrisHanson.jpg

For Southpark fans-this episode was hilarious

cartman-chris-hansen.jpg

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
as far as seat belts go, if someone wants to not wear one and die, that's fine with me, i don't care.

as far as the speed limits go...it's dumb. people are gonna drive at the speed they are comfortable with. 78 is about where i'm comfortable at. and i would think something like a speed trap would makes things a little bit unsafe as it disrupts the natural flow of traffic.

Speed limits wouldnt be a problem if theyd be set at the 80th percentile rate, the speed at which 80% of the drivers would drive at or below if there was no speed limit. If you raise the speed limit to that, you dont really find people breaking it to the degree you do when its set lower that 80%.

Thats what its supposed to be, but rarely is it used. I-235 now that its a widened speed track should be about 70, I-80 should probably roll at about 80, and I-35 should probably go about 75.