Sports Illustrated Done

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Been coming for a while but still a sad day.
Most, if not all, of the Sports Illustrated staff is being let go.

Grew up getting SI Kids, then the full Sports Illustrated. That subscription was a Christmas gift I looked forward to every year.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
RIP

kathy-ireland-swimsuit-1989-february-07-1989-sports-illustrated-cover.jpg

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I grew up with a subscription that I only dropped just a few years ago.

It was easy to see the drop off in quality, as well as the frequency (went from a week to biweekly, may have been down to just monthly?), and I can't say I missed it too much, especially since I subscribe to the Athletic.

But this is still sad to see. Another iconic American brand bites the dust...

cyfan21

Aug 24, 2010
Davenport
Damn! I was waiting for one of my sports team to win a championship so I could frame the front cover.

I guess that means my Vikings will never win the Super Bowl now. :eek:

Reactions: frackincygy

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I preferred the Sporting News. Less pictures, more stats.

Surely someone will buy the rights to the Swimsuit Issue and keep that going, right? Although with infinite pron available free, is there much point in a swimsuit issue?

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Plenty of gravitas or cache for that brand. Why couldn’t they continue online?
They’ve tried but clearly hasn’t worked.
IMO it was the physical magazine that had the value. Places like Grantland and the Athletic have shown you can hire good writers and make it work.

SI changed from a weekly magazine to monthly in January 2020.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
Damn! I was waiting for one of my sports team to win a championship so I could frame the front cover.

I guess that means my Vikings will never win the Super Bowl now. :eek:
Got mine when KC won SB LIV. Although I think it was the special publication and not the weekly magazine.

4cy16

Jun 14, 2021
I had a subscription for about 50 years before giving it up a couple of years ago when they went to once a month. I would read it each week from cover to cover. At first I missed it but now I make up for it by reading cyclonefanatic from cover to cover.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
A shame to see it go...like others, I had a subscription for many years growing up.

When I had occasionally ran into one of their articles online recently, it felt a bit TMZish. Certainly not what I remember.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I honestly don't have strong feelings one way or the other. There used to be so few resources for sports information and news that you'd subscribe to a magazine just to get the odd mention of your favorite teams. Now you have multiple options to absolutely wallow in that information daily.

Reactions: Drew0311

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
I hate to say it, but ineptitude of management. It happens everywhere. Even Google's recent layoffs are indicative of management not 'branching' into profitable arenas and re-mobilizing their staff. 80% of the companies I've worked with over my lifetime are out-of-business. 80% of the companies I invested in, but were acquired are now-defunct along with their product. When I attended ISU, the mantra was if you can't make it in a science or engineering discipline you went and got a business degree. And we wonder why companies fail.:confused:

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Maybe it will improve, but articles written by AI are so stilted, repetitive and have a weird roundabout way of describing things that it just leaps off the page.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron