Stadium construction ...

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
How many times has that been said over the years when they first hired someone?
Turner Gill - lasted 2 seasons after being called a good hire, went 5-19
Charlie Weis - big in name and in size. Former ND coach with NFL experience. Done after 3 seasons and 6-22 record
Beaty got 4 years 3-42 record
Miles was supposed to be a big splash but had other issues and got fired in 2 years with a 3-18 record

If they want Leipold to have a chance at any kind of success he needs a MINIMUM of 6 years to try and build something. KU is not a program you can turn around in 3-4 years and KU is nuts if they don't see that with their history. Just look at how long it took ISU to get out from doormat status with McCarney and Rhoads (not counting Chiz as 2 years and 5-19 is not much) for Campbell to finally be able to take it further. It took Mac 5 or 6 years just to get us out of the hole Walden put us in and even Rhoads got 6 years while having some success along the way before he couldn't sustain it.

KU is so far behind in facilities to go with their futility in FB that in reality if they have the "right guy" he's going to need 6 or more years just to get it to the point of making a bowl game again probably.
Can’t argue that, but it would be silly not to acknowledge that KU was significantly better late in the season than they were early on. Their QB they subbed in showed promise.

And they’ve got a solid transfer class coming in.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Surly starts a thread. Said thread goes to sh*t due to surlys antics.

reaction-confused.gif

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Kansas should build a new 35,000 seat stadium with some options for future growth/expansion. It would do wonders for the environment.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Oddly, I want to hear what our competitors are doing to better their margins. I don't have time to research this stuff myself, but am glad the Surly's of the world do it for me. It relieves me when I see opponents spending money foolishly (aka Baylor's new BB facility) or intelligently (WVU's renovated facilities). These are the ear marks of where we should always measure our progress and expenditures to better our margins. So, though I am in the minority, I can easily overlook Surly's lapses because all-in-all he's provided me info I enjoy reading.

trajanJ

Sep 11, 2008
How many times has that been said over the years when they first hired someone?
Turner Gill - lasted 2 seasons after being called a good hire, went 5-19
Charlie Weis - big in name and in size. Former ND coach with NFL experience. Done after 3 seasons and 6-22 record
Beaty got 4 years 3-42 record
Miles was supposed to be a big splash but had other issues and got fired in 2 years with a 3-18 record

If they want Leipold to have a chance at any kind of success he needs a MINIMUM of 6 years to try and build something. KU is not a program you can turn around in 3-4 years and KU is nuts if they don't see that with their history. Just look at how long it took ISU to get out from doormat status with McCarney and Rhoads (not counting Chiz as 2 years and 5-19 is not much) for Campbell to finally be able to take it further. It took Mac 5 or 6 years just to get us out of the hole Walden put us in and even Rhoads got 6 years while having some success along the way before he couldn't sustain it.

KU is so far behind in facilities to go with their futility in FB that in reality if they have the "right guy" he's going to need 6 or more years just to get it to the point of making a bowl game again probably.
There's been some really bad hires in the past. This is the first hire in a long time that looks like a football coach more than a recruiter with a name. He did sign a 6 year contract. Plus KU isn't behind in facilities, that's a statement that is made over and over by people that have no idea and just look at their stadium. Ask any recruits what their facilities look like. They have a brand new football only indoor facility, almost brand new football dorms and they are constantly updating the the strength, weightroom and lockers that were built in 2008. But currently they have one of the worst stadiums in the country. Hopefully they will announce a stadium drive but I'll believe when I see it. These rumors have popped up for years.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: t-noah and dafarmer

CRCy17

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Chicago, IL
Surly starts a thread. Said thread goes to sh*t due to surlys antics.

Surly lost me when Surly loudly proclaimed they had no idea the difference between a fact and an opinion. I went from indifferent to annoyed pretty quickly.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Surly lost me when Surly loudly proclaimed they had no idea the difference between a fact and an opinion. I went from indifferent to annoyed pretty quickly.

He is always confused when he is off his meds.

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
There's been some really bad hires in the past. This is the first hire in a long time that looks like a football coach more than a recruiter with a name. He did sign a 6 year contract. Plus KU isn't behind in facilities, that's a statement that is made over and over by people that have no idea and just look at their stadium. Ask any recruits what their facilities look like. They have a brand new football only indoor facility, almost brand new football dorms and they are constantly updating the the strength, weightroom and lockers that were built in 2008. But currently they have one of the worst stadiums in the country. Hopefully they will announce a stadium drive but I'll believe when I see it. These rumors have popped up for years.
This guy is the best since Mangino.

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
Its a dump and a division 2 stadium, it has no character.
It’s a bigger version of Drake Stadium, without a premier track event every year. KU putting money into that stadium is a losing proposition because the stands are so far from the field due to the former track. They need to raise and/or finance $250mm and build a compact new stadium like Baylor did. Play in Arrowhead (or Lawrence High School stadium) for a year while they tear down the current stadium and build new.