Staiger Ineligible!

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I think he has a very good chance of having this ruling overturned.

If I were to wager, they will reduce the sentence to a few games after the appeal. He has legitimate grounds to sue the NCAA, so hopefully a compromise will be found.

sunset

Oct 18, 2006
San Diego, CA
I just wonder how collegiate golfers retain their eligibility when they play in PGA tournaments as "amateurs"? The NCAA is a joke and the member schools need to do something before the whole thing comes crumbling down. This is truly assenine.

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
The really makes me mad just because of the fact that he didn't do anything wrong and that so many other athletes in the NCAA get away with crap all the time. Its just a head scratcher.
I did notice that www.fthencaa.com is open to purchase. Pending the appeal this domain could be mine.

rlegg928

Apr 11, 2006
Troy, NY
I just wonder how collegiate golfers retain their eligibility when they play in PGA tournaments as "amateurs"? The NCAA is a joke and the member schools need to do something before the whole thing comes crumbling down. This is truly assenine.

Now that's a solid argument, IMO. From the Register, the point was that his colleagues got paid, even though the team itself was non-profit, non-professional - if this is the precedent we're going to see a lot of student-athletes lose eligibility in the next few years...I can't imagine this not being overturned otherwise I would hope that the NCAA sticks to its guns and rules the (potentially) hundreds of other athletes ruled ineligible for having played with people who are getting paid.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
Am I the only one who is not very optimistic with his chances for an appeal? It seems to me that an appeal is just a formality in these instances, something that the evil rulers never take seriously.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
Am I the only one who is not very optimistic with his chances for an appeal? It seems to me that an appeal is just a formality in these instances, something that the evil rulers never take seriously.

You're not alone. Even if an appeal did happen, it's not like it will be done in time where it won't impact us. The season starts in six days.

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL

I too would be surprised, because we don't have that kind of luck.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006

I'm not either, strictly because the NCAA doesn't appear to have a soul.

a fan

Apr 11, 2006
That is my question, how does this decision affect NCAA golfers? If they play any rounds with individuals that have won any money are they declared ineligible? What about any gymnasts that may have practiced or competed with Shawn Johnson, whom I believe has recently received some endorsements. Would the same rules apply or are endorsements allowed? This has opened up a can of worms if every school and situation are treated equally

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I'm counting Staiger as being Ghandi this year, not only because they are souless balllickers as Cyed pointed out, but because they are also extremely slow balllickers. Even if it did get appealed, it's probably going to take months. I'm holding out hope for next semester at best.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
That is my question, how does this decision affect NCAA golfers? If they play any rounds with individuals that have won any money are they declared ineligible? What about any gymnasts that may have practiced or competed with Shawn Johnson, whom I believe has recently received some endorsements. Would the same rules apply or are endorsements allowed? This has opened up a can of worms if every school and situation are treated equally

How can high school baseball players be drafted and yet remain eligible for play in college. Yet if you play basketball and stay in the draft you are no longer eligible if not drafted. Same with Football.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Does anybody like knownothing, kg-cyclone, PsychedClone, or anybody else close to the program have any word on this? Is the staff hopeful for his reinstatement?

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Does anybody like knownothing, kg-cyclone, PsychedClone, or anybody else close to the program have any word on this? Is the staff hopeful for his reinstatement?

Everyone is fuming.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Some hope - This from a poster from the WSU boards:

Yep, I'm pretty sure this is the exact same thing that Nikola Koprivica ran into last year and sat out four games as I recall. Others on his team as I recall, can't seem to find a link anymore tho.

I'll start searching for a link to see if it sounds connected - I would consider the NCAA getting their act together after 4 games to be a huge victory.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Does that include JP? The NCAA does NOT want to **** off JP...

Hah, like they care about JP. They could squash him if he got annoying. They have all the power and no accountability, kinda like our government.

conmebol

Apr 11, 2006
Are they intentionally doing this so close to the beginning of the season, so Iowa State won't have time to get anything done about it ?

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Hah, like they care about JP. They could squash him if he got annoying. They have all the power and no accountability, kinda like our government.

Our governments have a mechanism for accountability, but in large part, our citizens choose not to use it...

The NCAA is accountable...to the likes of Ohio State, USC, Michigan, Texas, ND, etc.

markshir

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Here is a short paragraph that is all I could find about this Nikola player from WSU:

The freshman had arrived in Pullman just a few months before from his home in Belgrade, Serbia, a basketball prodigy with a quick first step, long arms and an upper body that belied his age and allowed him to finish at the basket.
Getting to the rim was easier than getting on the court, though, as he had to sit out Washington State University's first four games following the discovery he had played in Europe with a team that included professional players.