Start of OT vs Kansas - Tipoff ?

crawfy54

Dec 28, 2006
Ames, Iowa
Burton set to jump for the tip off at the start of OT. Ref blows his whistle and speaks to burton and young. After discussion, Young is jumping for the tip off... just curious if anyone knows what that was about.

MontanaClone

Mar 17, 2013
Inverness, MT
Burton set to jump for the tip off at the start of OT. Ref blows his whistle and speaks to burton and young. After discussion, Young is jumping for the tip off... just curious if anyone knows what that was about.
Probably was telling Burton that due to his leaping ability, that would put us in violation of Kansas' bylaw-defined home court advantage, as provided by the Big 12 Conference and its affiliate schools.

sportsfuntime

Jul 27, 2015
The devil's domain.
Additionally, the ref clearly allowed Lucas to step in closer to the center line than Young. The ref also tossed the ball directly to Lucas. If Young's arm was a foot longer, he still wouldn't have had a chance at that ball.

Basically, the refs just wanted to give KU the ball to start OT. A team doesn't get a 50 game winning streak without a little help. As long as KU is okay with losing all of their football games, they will be getting this type of treatment in basketball. Been this way for decades already.

You won't see one KU fan during football season.

BikeSkiClone

Jul 25, 2014
1st whistle is the official on left side of court stopping play as Young moved next to Jackson, Jackson stepped forward, Young stepped forward. IDK why Young then became the tipoff guy though.

Last little delay is ref telling Naz to separate a little from Svi, but nobody says anything about the same to Donovan and Graham in the bottom.

I think it flustered our guys in the moment but ended up not hurting. Weird sequence though.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Additionally, the ref clearly allowed Lucas to step in closer to the center line than Young. The ref also tossed the ball directly to Lucas. If Young's arm was a foot longer, he still wouldn't have had a chance at that ball.

Basically, the refs just wanted to give KU the ball to start OT. A team doesn't get a 50 game winning streak without a little help. As long as KU is okay with losing all of their football games, they will be getting this type of treatment in basketball. Been this way for decades already.

You won't see one KU fan during football season.

This is so true, I watched the replay of this a couple times and he clearly threw it to Lucas's side on the jump ball.

• Agree
Reactions: cygrads

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
This is so true, I watched the replay of this a couple times and he clearly threw it to Lucas's side on the jump ball.

I doubt that was intentional. Back when there was no alternate possession, they would do 5 or more jump balls per game. Now they do the tip-off and occasionally an overtime and that is it. Throwing the ball up straight is a bit of a lost art.

• Agree
Reactions: stateofmind

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I doubt that was intentional. Back when there was no alternate possession, they would do 5 or more jump balls per game. Now they do the tip-off and occasionally an overtime and that is it. Throwing the ball up straight is a bit of a lost art.

Im not saying it was intentional, but he clearly threw it up so Young had no chance at all.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Anyone else think that Lucas should have been called for an intentional foul on Morris with 10 seconds to go in OT? Isu in bounded ball goes to MM running and lucas just grabs his arm as MM had Solomon wide open for dunk..Lucas made no play on ball at all..ball was in MM right hand dribbling and lucas just grabs MM left arm while MM was running up court dribbling.

no bid deal as we won but if that had occurred in 1st half against any other team and more times than not they call an intentional probably. you have to make a play on the ball. it's no different than grabbing kid by his waist to hold him up as he has a break away layup.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Maybe it's like a hockey face off where if you go early too often, they kick you out and make someone else do it? No idea really.

I think it was something similar ... I'm not an officiating expert, but here's my guess: Notice how just before they're ready to toss, Burton extends his hand over the halfcourt line. I think that's a violation of jump rules ... then they're required to have a different player jump from that team.

Refereeing gurus here what to chime in? Am I close?

Reactions: Cyclonepride

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
There was also something a little weird that I don't remember seeing. The ref put his feet out wide in order to space the guys apart. He did it a few times. Is that common?

cyowan

Feb 7, 2013
Ames, IA
Anyone else think that Lucas should have been called for an intentional foul on Morris with 10 seconds to go in OT? Isu in bounded ball goes to MM running and lucas just grabs his arm as MM had Solomon wide open for dunk..Lucas made no play on ball at all..ball was in MM right hand dribbling and lucas just grabs MM left arm while MM was running up court dribbling.

no bid deal as we won but if that had occurred in 1st half against any other team and more times than not they call an intentional probably. you have to make a play on the ball. it's no different than grabbing kid by his waist to hold him up as he has a break away layup.

I don't know about the foul being called but I really wanted Solomon to get that ball at the end. After the game he had and the effort he put in on the defensive end I would have loved to see him have his moment to finish the game. He deserved it.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I think it was something similar ... I'm not an officiating expert, but here's my guess: Notice how just before they're ready to toss, Burton extends his hand over the halfcourt line. I think that's a violation of jump rules ... then they're required to have a different player jump from that team.

Refereeing gurus here what to chime in? Am I close?

Kansas did that on the opening tip. All very confusing.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
That whole jump ball sequence was very, very odd. It wound up being inconsequential, but I would love to know what all that was about.

Blum?

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Interesting that the ref was yukking it up with Lucas before the tip.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron