State Fair Craft Beer Tent

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
I noticed on their website the there's a place to list what is on tap at the fair. Does anyone have any ides if they populate this and keep it current during the fair?

BTW, there are a lot of volunteer shifts still yet to be filled. Includes free admission, a "few samples", 2 drink tickets, mystery gift, and free tee shirt.

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
I don't think they update the Facebook post or their web site throughout the fair.

I have volunteered in the past. The "mystery gift" is likely a gift card to somewhere. I received one to Court Ave one year.

Reactions: NWICY

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I don't think they update the Facebook post or their web site throughout the fair.

I have volunteered in the past. The "mystery gift" is likely a gift card to somewhere. I received one to Court Ave one year.
Yeah usually Court Ave, Americana, or Gilroys.

Reactions: MJ29

Ron Falenschek

Nov 5, 2020
Have volunteered in the past. Would never do it again. Not fun at all. Just a way for them to get free labor.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
While I will stop and have some at both tents I'm sure, I'm not nearly as excited about this as I was in the past. Seems like the past few years it's been mostly populated with beers readily available in store etc. It's still a nice stop but some more variety would be nice imo.

Will Ames Lager be anywhere at the fair? I'd assume so. I haven't had one yet.

Ron Falenschek

Nov 5, 2020
Yeah, I get it, but you'd expect it to be fun. It is not. Watch you like a hawk suspecting everyone is giving away beer. Just not a cool experience at all. These guys are in it to make money.

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
Yeah, I get it, but you'd expect it to be fun. It is not. Watch you like a hawk suspecting everyone is giving away beer. Just not a cool experience at all. These guys are in it to make money.

I guess I didn't experience any of that. Then again, I was a seasoned beertender when I volunteered. Steve knew me well from his visits to the brewery where I worked. And, yes, they want to make money. They're a business.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Are you aware of how much money from every draw goes to the ISF Blue Ribbon Foundation?
Last time I volunteered, $5 from every $7 draw went to it.

• Informative
Reactions: MJ29 and NWICY

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I've always considered volunteering at the tent, but never have. The only experience I have serving beer is getting it for myself at home!

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
I suppose a business can ask for volunteers as long as people will volunteer. Seems as though it is a JOB, so it may be time to pay folks just as other Fair vendors do. Of course, that likely would increase the price for consumers.

• Haha
Reactions: MJ29 and 06_CY

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
I suppose a business can ask for volunteers as long as people will volunteer. Seems as though it is a JOB, so it may be time to pay folks just as other Fair vendors do. Of course, that likely would increase the price for consumers.
Did you miss the part about them donating a large portion of the profits back to the fairgrounds? Other vendors definitely aren’t doing that.

Reactions: intrepid27 and MJ29

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Did you miss the part about them donating a large portion of the profits back to the fairgrounds? Other vendors definitely aren’t doing that.
Are you sure it’s a donation? The State Fair requires a large portion of the proceeds for the space.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Are you sure it’s a donation? The State Fair requires a large portion of the proceeds for the space.
I thought it was sales, not proceeds.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
I don’t know anything about vendors really but do you think they’re all required to pay that high of a percentage to The Blue Ribbon Foundation? Or just that location where the craft beer tent is?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I don’t know anything about vendors really but do you think they’re all required to pay that high of a percentage to The Blue Ribbon Foundation? Or just that location where the craft beer tent is?
I'm not sure they were required, it's just what they said they did. (The $5 out of $7)
To me, that kinda squashes some of the possible "greed" accusations.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
I'm not sure they were required, it's just what they said they did. (The $5 out of $7)
To me, that kinda squashes some of the possible "greed" accusations.
Oh I’m sure they’re making some good money. A lot of beer will be tossed back in the next 10 days but like you said, $5 out of every $7 seems pretty generous.

• Agree
Reactions: JP4CY