STORY: Iowa State's defense was a no-show in Norman

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
I said it in the game thread, but the linebackers just aren’t what we need to run the scheme. The talent difference in the linebacking core compared to OU was glaring.
Good thing we addressed that after it being an obvious problem last year.

Oh, wait..........

Pretty obvious defeating ISU's defense became formulaic a couple years ago.

Take chances as much as you can in the first half and score as much as possible.

ISU saves many adjustments and blitz packages for the second half, so the offense can't scheme against them at halftime.

If we know and see this, guarantee our opponents do as well.

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
Good thing we addressed that after it being an obvious problem last year.

Oh, wait..........

Pretty obvious defeating ISU's defense became formulaic a couple years ago.

Take chances as much as you can in the first half and score as much as possible.

ISU saves many adjustments and blitz packages for the second half, so the offense can't scheme against them at halftime.

If we know and see this, guarantee our opponents do as well.
I think it’s a combination of many factors.

1. The talent discrepancy was evident last night (not easily fixable)
2. OU ran up tempo, not subbing, which forced the defense not to sub as well. Iowa State likes to rotate many players in to keep players fresh to perform at their peak (not easily fixable)
3. Tendencies. OU always seemed like they knew what Heacock was going to do next. That’s a result of film study to learn certain tendencies a coach may have (fixable)

We all knew winning last night would be a long shot at best. But the defense was just gassed and couldn’t get off the field. It snowballed quickly

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
What was honestly wrong with our secondary yesterday? They seemed to always run away from the ball when it was in the air. Everyone raves about Tampa being a day one or two pick, but he was nowhere to be found yesterday. Freyler was also nowhere to be found and he’s hyped up as an NFL prospect. I think our secondary is too slow.

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006
What was honestly wrong with our secondary yesterday? They seemed to always run away from the ball when it was in the air. Everyone raves about Tampa being a day one or two pick, but he was nowhere to be found yesterday. Freyler was also nowhere to be found and he’s hyped up as an NFL prospect. I think our secondary is too slow.
No pressure up front and no Verdon on the backend. Losing Anderson and McDonald up front was much bigger than anticipated. Petersen has struggled early this year and his minutes will continue to be reduced, just not disruptive.

FWIW Tampa allowed 2 completions on 6 targets and 8 tackles (according to tv commentary last night) — Tampa was fine last night.

Sep 4, 2023
You youngsters now know what a Barry Switzer ass kicking is with the Boz relaxing on the sidelines eating a hotdog. Difference is they didn't run up the score like they could have.
Don't forget the coaches smoking cigarettes right after eating their hot dogs on the sidelines.

I play golf with a OU grad who played baseball at OU when Switzer was there. It was well known the players received cash and the the parking lot around the FB practice area was lined with new cars. It looked like a new car dealership.

Carnegie

Jul 10, 2019
Oklahoma's D was often rushing 5-6 at our freshman QB. ISU often was often rushing 3 down lineman and maybe a linebacker on a 6th year quality QB. I get the 3 down lineman has worked, but to say the formula is locked in on a QB like Oklahoma's seem like a game plan for disaster, which we say yesterday. Gabriel and the like are too good to just let stand back and wait for a receiver to get open.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Don't forget the coaches smoking cigarettes right after eating their hot dogs on the sidelines.

I play golf with a OU grad who played baseball at OU when Switzer was there. It was well known the players received cash and the the parking lot around the FB practice area was lined with new cars. It looked like a new car dealership.

'Back when it wasn't about money!'

-someone who thinks there was a time when it wasn't about money, probably.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Oklahoma's D was often rushing 5-6 at our freshman QB. ISU often was often rushing 3 down lineman and maybe a linebacker on a 6th year quality QB. I get the 3 down lineman has worked, but to say the formula is locked in on a QB like Oklahoma's seem like a game plan for disaster, which we say yesterday. Gabriel and the like are too good to just let stand back and wait for a receiver to get open.

ISU's lack of speed leaves all sorts of gaps if they send a bunch.

OU was dialed in very well if/when ISU did do it.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
We had 3 down linemen, and were giving their WRs 5+ yards of cushion every single play. I want to know what exactly we prepared all week for

If you can’t get pressure with 3, and have bad LBs like we do, then there is no reason to run a 3-3-5.

Westside clone

Apr 5, 2022
We had 3 down linemen, and were giving their WRs 5+ yards of cushion every single play. I want to know what exactly we prepared all week for

If you can’t get pressure with 3, and have bad LBs like we do, then there is no reason to run a 3-3-5.
The coaches only know a certain way.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
This why the gambling excuse doesn't hold much water, the defense only lost one player. The lack of experience, depth and talent on that side of the ball is due to poor recruiting and development. We have 4 or 5 kids that have no business on the field in the big 12. You can really see them impact of losing almost everyone from back to back classes at LB.

The program was in a bad place before any of the gambling stuff came to light.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
Our secondary is currently being expected to handle their obvious responsibilities in coverage and run support, while also helping a LB core that isn't athletic/experienced, and also make up for a lack of a pass rush.

That's why they look lost at times.

They're probably physically and mentally tired.

We're looking at big plays in isolation, and not a multitude of plays that are putting pressure on them to perform.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan and Peter

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Our secondary is currently being expected to handle their obvious responsibilities in coverage and run support, while also helping a LB core that isn't athletic/experienced, and also make up for a lack of a pass rush.

That's why they look lost at times.

They're probably physically and mentally tired.

We're looking at big plays in isolation, and not a multitude of plays that are putting pressure on them to perform.
Secondary played well I thought. OU found great mismatches with our LBs and exploited those all night. It also helped that OU receivers immediately hit the turf whenever they felt contact and started flailing around like European soccer players. Hard to get off the field when the refs are dumping flags on every 3rd down stop.

Reactions: GotHops32

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
The way OU played last night, ISU wasnt going to win, no matter how well ISU played or schemed or adjusted.

OU is flat better, and they executed really well. At home. The score was ugly, but this wasnt some sign of the apocalypse imho.

Get down off the roof and lets see how next week goes.

LAClone

Apr 26, 2010
If you want to motivate your players to perform at 110% through the entire season, you can’t blow an entirely winnable game against Iowa and a gimme against Ohio. This season was a lost cause at week 3.