STORY: Iowa State's defense was a no-show in Norman

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
If you want to motivate your players to perform at 110% through the entire season, you can’t blow an entirely winnable game against Iowa and a gimme against Ohio. This season was a lost cause at week 3.

Yes that is how sports works for sure.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
The 3-3-5 has been an very effective defense for the Clones. But after a handful of years, have opposing offenses caught up?

One can argue, what's the difference from a 3-3-5 if Heacock blitzes a LB? I bought into that argument for a couple years when we had really talented and dynamic lineman like Eyi, Will and JaQuan. Plus we had a mix of physical & speed linebackers (Rose, Vance, Hummel and Spears). But with this years team, it seems like opposing OL swallow up our LBs if they don't get a clear blitz shot.

Campbell preaches being physical. Not sure this ISU team can be a physical defense or team by playing a 3 man front. Plus Big12 QB's are too good if they don't feel pressure. And a 3 man rush creates expanded passing and scramble lanes for QB.

After 5 games we have:
  • 8 sacks (3 are < 3 yards each).
  • 0 forced fumbles (and obviously no fumbles recovered)
  • 6 Ints (4 by Cooper)
We need to find a way to create more momentum plays.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Have limited knowledge on what the biggest issues are concerning our defense, besides OU being really high tempo, experienced and quick qb, and our limited pass rush. All I know is someone after our first two games was saying how 'exceptional' our secondary was. Fools gold because of the first two opponents???

Reactions: CyNews

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Have limited knowledge on what the biggest issues are concerning our defense, besides OU being really high tempo, experienced and quick qb, and our limited pass rush. All I know is someone after our first two games was saying how 'exceptional' our secondary was. Fools gold because of the first two opponents???

Not many secondaries can hold up if there's no pressure on the QB.

danvillecyclone

Dec 8, 2011
We took my friend to the game with us. I think 1986. His dad was from Oklahoma. The game was out of reach, Jamelle Holieway took out a $10 or $20 that was tucked his football pants and handed it to him to go get hot dogs. He let the kid hop over the concrete wall, hot dogs in hand.

Obviously that’s him standing next to Holieway.

We saw many a drubbing in those seats my dad had, but it was certainly a different show when Switzer and the Sooners came to town.

Section 10 Row 4

Attachments

• EF25345C-04EB-406D-A06E-4A3829815965.jpeg
    EF25345C-04EB-406D-A06E-4A3829815965.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 60

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
We took my friend to the game with us. I think 1986. His dad was from Oklahoma. The game was out of reach, Jamelle Holieway took out a $10 or $20 that was tucked his football pants and handed it to him to go get hot dogs. He let the kid hop over the concrete wall, hot dogs in hand.

Obviously that’s him standing next to Holieway.

We saw many a drubbing in those seats my dad had, but it was certainly a different show when Switzer and the Sooners came to town.

Section 10 Row 4

Oddly ISU would have been a bowl team in 1986 by today's standards. 6-5 overall, 3-4 in conference.

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
41 if you want to be precise.
Right but its not in a vaccum.

We essentially lost the turnover battle 4 to 1 ( 2 INT's, a blocked punt and 1-2 on 4th down which essentially is a turnover).

We were 4-16 on 3rd down so our offense never really converted to stay on the field.
Defensively of course we never really got off the field.

The defense is actually YOUNGER than the offense if you go by elgibility remaining.

Defense ( 9 seniors and juniors)
Tampa - Sr.
Cooper - So.
Purchase - Jr.
Verdon - Redshirt Sophomore
Porter - Redshirt Senior
TO - Redshirt Sophomore
Freyler - Jr.
Nikkel - Redshirt Senior
Patton - Freshman
McLaughlin - Sophomore
MCGee- Redshirt Junior
Howard - Redshirt Freshman
Vaughn - Redshirt Senior
Sadowsky - Freshman
Ellis - Redshirt Sophomore
Bacon - Redshirt Sophomore
Petersen - Junior
Singleton - Redshirt Junior
Jones - Redshirt Sophmore
Orange - Sophomore

Offense (12 Seniors and Juniors)
Becht - Redshirt Freshman
Sanders - Redshirt Sophmore
Norton - Sophomore
Sama - Freshman
Dean - Redshirt Senior
Remsburg - Redshirt Senior (Presuming he plays )
Neal -Redshirt Sophomore
Treiber - Redshirt Senior
Miller - Redshirt Junior
Bonifas - Redshirt Sophomore
Simmons - Redshirt Senior
Hufford - Redshirt Senior
Black - Freshman
Klotz - Redshirt Junior
Brahmer - Freshman
Jackson - Redshirt Junior
Stanley - Redshirt Senior
Noel - Junior
Higgins - Junior
Burkle - Redshirt Freshman
Bitter - Redshirt Junior

Its possible I missed a few and yes, the defense has not been great the last two weeks. But just keep in mind while everyone tries to give the offense an out, they are actually the older unit in terms of age and elgbility. Some of the guys on defense have played more but there are a lot of young ones out there defensively

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
We lost two D-linemen that were projected to be big contributors this year. Isiah Lee and MJ Anderson. To bad Anderson left, he was cut by Seattle, not sure if has had landed anywhere. But I'm sure those two would have helped out our D for sure.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Right but its not in a vaccum.

We essentially lost the turnover battle 4 to 1 ( 2 INT's, a blocked punt and 1-2 on 4th down which essentially is a turnover).

We were 4-16 on 3rd down so our offense never really converted to stay on the field.
Defensively of course we never really got off the field.

The defense is actually YOUNGER than the offense if you go by elgibility remaining.

Defense ( 9 seniors and juniors)
Tampa - Sr.
Cooper - So.
Purchase - Jr.
Verdon - Redshirt Sophomore
Porter - Redshirt Senior
TO - Redshirt Sophomore
Freyler - Jr.
Nikkel - Redshirt Senior
Patton - Freshman
McLaughlin - Sophomore
MCGee- Redshirt Junior
Howard - Redshirt Freshman
Vaughn - Redshirt Senior
Sadowsky - Freshman
Ellis - Redshirt Sophomore
Bacon - Redshirt Sophomore
Petersen - Junior
Singleton - Redshirt Junior
Jones - Redshirt Sophmore
Orange - Sophomore

Offense (12 Seniors and Juniors)
Becht - Redshirt Freshman
Sanders - Redshirt Sophmore
Norton - Sophomore
Sama - Freshman
Dean - Redshirt Senior
Remsburg - Redshirt Senior (Presuming he plays )
Neal -Redshirt Sophomore
Treiber - Redshirt Senior
Miller - Redshirt Junior
Bonifas - Redshirt Sophomore
Simmons - Redshirt Senior
Hufford - Redshirt Senior
Black - Freshman
Klotz - Redshirt Junior
Brahmer - Freshman
Jackson - Redshirt Junior
Stanley - Redshirt Senior
Noel - Junior
Higgins - Junior
Burkle - Redshirt Freshman
Bitter - Redshirt Junior

Its possible I missed a few and yes, the defense has not been great the last two weeks. But just keep in mind while everyone tries to give the offense an out, they are actually the older unit in terms of age and elgbility. Some of the guys on defense have played more but there are a lot of young ones out there defensively
Oh, I’m not pinning the 41 on the defense entirely. Just that you can’t count the 9 while they weren’t even on the field at bare minimum.

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
Jay Jordan was very insightful in a podcast with Jared two tears ago in explaining the keys to Heacocks 3-3-5 dime stack defense. Of course you need talent at all positions but he said three spots have to be exceptional.

1. A lockdown field corner. We had that for 4 years with Anthony Johnson. Now TJ Tampa - check.

2. A SAM linebacker who can support the run and cover two zones vs the pass. That was Mike Rose for 4 years and Willie Harvey before him. I like our young LBs but they are not Mike Rose. Big gap here.

3. A stud rush DE who can routinely win one-on-one battles and command a double team and still get pressure. Jaquan Bailey then Will McDonald. Not close…big drop off this year and I think the biggest issue.

IMO Heacock needs to scheme differently with this year’s roster and he’s doing that when Bacon plays as a stand up DE and rushes. But we still don’t have the personnel in the front 6 like we had the previous 6 years and the results show against competent offenses.

• Winner
Reactions: HouClone

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
Jay Jordan was very insightful in a podcast with Jared two tears ago in explaining the keys to Heacocks 3-3-5 dime stack defense. Of course you need talent at all positions but he said three spots have to be exceptional.

1. A lockdown field corner. We had that for 4 years with Anthony Johnson. Now TJ Tampa - check.

2. A SAM linebacker who can support the run and cover two zones vs the pass. That was Mike Rose for 4 years and Willie Harvey before him. I like our young LBs but they are not Mike Rose. Big gap here.

3. A stud rush DE who can routinely win one-on-one battles and command a double team and still get pressure. Jaquan Bailey then Will McDonald. Not close…big drop off this year and I think the biggest issue.

IMO Heacock needs to scheme differently with this year’s roster and he’s doing that when Bacon plays as a stand up DE and rushes. But we still don’t have the personnel in the front 6 like we had the previous 6 years and the results show against competent offenses.
Your last sentence is the one that matters most, IMO.

It seems like we haven't found as many diamonds in the rough and our recruiting is trending in the wrong direction, especially in the trenches. This staff's OL recruiting has never been up to snuff in particular, and it's glaring how bare those shelves are.

Against the more competitive Big 12 teams I just don't think we'll have the dudes to hang with them, regardless of scheme. And recent recruiting has me feeling pessimistic about that changing anytime soon.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Your last sentence is the one that matters most, IMO.

It seems like we haven't found as many diamonds in the rough and our recruiting is trending in the wrong direction, especially in the trenches. This staff's OL recruiting has never been up to snuff in particular, and it's glaring how bare those shelves are.

Against the more competitive Big 12 teams I just don't think we'll have the dudes to hang with them, regardless of scheme. And recent recruiting has me feeling pessimistic about that changing anytime soon.
even though they did a lot better yesterday, they still have an inability to sustain blocks. The was more evident the second half. On several plays more that one linemen on a given play whiffed on their assignment or if they made contact, it was for a half a second. The result was heavy pressure on Rocco and a running game that wasn't going anywhere. I don't know what the issue is, lack of athleticism, technique? I know Bruns said a couple of weeks ago some of the guys were getting to the second level way to fast, not sure if they got that corrected or not.

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
Aren't we missing a few guys too? Think Verdon at safety and Ellis at LB. Plus I don't think Porter played against OSU so that might be why some of our speed was missing on defense. They absolutely shredded us in the passing game.

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
Aren't we missing a few guys too? Think Verdon at safety and Ellis at LB. Plus I don't think Porter played against OSU so that might be why some of our speed was missing on defense. They absolutely shredded us in the passing game.
If the opposing QB has all day to throw he'll eventually find someone open, regardless of anyone's speed.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
We gave up deep bombs on plays where we only rushed 3 and dropped 8. That should be schematically impossible.

yeah, not a good day for the D.

H
It’s happened consistently for several years. The fact that anyone gets deeper than our deep 3rd is ridiculous

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006
If the opposing QB has all day to throw he'll eventually find someone open, regardless of anyone's speed.
Agree with your overall point.

Another part of it is the offensive scheme vs our defense. If the opposing QB has an arm and competent receivers, receivers sit in open space 5-7 yards downfield and the ball is out in about 2 seconds, which we allow. OSU's and OU's passing game are predicated on quick throws (many deep throws seem to be predetermined before the snap and are out relatively quick - something I wish we would do more), granted Gabriel was able to sit back without much pressure throughout the game.

Against certain offenses the ball is coming out so quick, that an untouched/unaccounted for blitzing LB/DB is still arriving after the ball is thrown. However, even if your not sacking those quick throwing QB's, pressure speeds up their progressions forces throws. Need to start generating some sort of consistent pressure, hoping we start blitzing more as we've been giving up big pass plays sitting back in coverage only rushing 3 or 4 guys.

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
So, in defense of the defense, its really not that hard to get deep when dropping 8 when the QB can order Jimmy Johns and then Pizza Hut before getting touched. Do me a favor. Line up 10 yards away from a guy whose about as fast as you (maybe faster) then back pedal and chase him for more than 4 seconds.

How long can you stay in front of him and not get beat? Its not easy.

You could have 55 dudes out there and if the QB has all day and is good - its not going to matter. Its incredibly hard to cover people in any coverage for longer than 3-4 seconds. Which is why if you look at the NFL and even college, the best defenses are generally the ones that can wreck the QB. Not that they ignore the run game, of course not, but its not easy to stay deep when there's no pressure. If becomes near impossible to run with a guy for that long.

That's like yelling at the receiver to catch the ball after a drop - yeah, if only he had thought of that.

There are a shocking number of wide open receivers deep in the NFL. Why? Because it ain't easy covering people for more than a couple seconds. Again, that's why pass rushers make the money they do.