• Non-Student: No

Votes: 42 22.3%

• Total voters

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Non student (alumnus) here saying it should go.

Not because I have something against students, because I think the students should get priority seating in the lower levels, like most of the powerhouse schools.

Last edited:

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
i think the student section needs to be more freely run and shouldnt be split in 2... look at duke, model off of that and it will be good, this cyclone alley stuff is nice but its not good enough

whirlybirds

Oct 25, 2007
Knoxville, IA
The students need to be spread around Hilton so it will sound louder. Plus it would encourage people who normally don’t stand up and cheer to get out of their seats and make some noise

LeaningCy

Jan 18, 2008
I'm still not seeing any of this as CA's problem. Every student season ticket holder drops $100 on season tickets, and one out of every 3 doesn't show up to the game. The $15 dollar membership to CA isn't keeping anybody out, and if you're a true fan, you'd pay the 15 bucks just for the good seats, regardless of your opinion of the props and structure of CA.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I'm still not seeing any of this as CA's problem. Every student season ticket holder drops $100 on season tickets, and one out of every 3 doesn't show up to the game. The $15 dollar membership to CA isn't keeping anybody out, and if you're a true fan, you'd pay the 15 bucks just for the good seats, regardless of your opinion of the props and structure of CA.

So if you don't join CA, your not a true fan?

LeaningCy

Jan 18, 2008
No I'm not saying that, just saying that $15 extra isn't too much to pay for good seats.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
No I'm not saying that, just saying that $15 extra isn't too much to pay for good seats.

I almost guarantee you that the problem is not the cost of CA. The problem is that some students just don't want to be a part of all the organized cheers and what not. Believe it or not, some students want to just go and enjoy the game without being forced to wear a certain shirt. The problem is those students don't get the benefit of the doubt, and are forced to sit in the more worse seats.

19Cy78

Mar 31, 2006
I am an alum and actually the idea and proposal for cyclone alley came out of my english class in 2000...I think that was when we had BV in class. Anyway from the orginal concept it grew to maximum with two sides...but success will always fill the stands. Look at Drake/bandwagon fans! You never know how successful the year is going to be so I say keep it going, because eventually those are the next donors after graduation and the experience they have in college helps in the long run for the program. The new has worn off Cy Alley and now we must sustain long term success...keep it the way it is or make it smaller on both end, but ultimately...
Go STATE!

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I almost guarantee you that the problem is not the cost of CA. The problem is that some students just don't want to be a part of all the organized cheers and what not. Believe it or not, some students want to just go and enjoy the game without being forced to wear a certain shirt. The problem is those students don't get the benefit of the doubt, and are forced to sit in the more worse seats.

I don't feel that any of the cheers are "forced." Nobody walks around making sure you are chanting.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
We should do like Indiana and have people find groups of 4 and then they all get the same assigned seats for each game. They are all spread out through out the stadium. One game is assigned for a "courtside" seats.

LeaningCy

Jan 18, 2008
Yeah, I agree the cost is not the problem. But still, CA does no more with organized cheers than a regular student section would do. And being forced to wear a certain shirt shouldn't be too big of a deal.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I am an alum and actually the idea and proposal for cyclone alley came out of my english class in 2000...I think that was when we had BV in class. Anyway from the orginal concept it grew to maximum with two sides...but success will always fill the stands. Look at Drake/bandwagon fans! You never know how successful the year is going to be so I say keep it going, because eventually those are the next donors after graduation and the experience they have in college helps in the long run for the program. The new has worn off Cy Alley and now we must sustain long term success...keep it the way it is or make it smaller on both end, but ultimately...
Go STATE!

CA first year was the 2004-2005 season right? How did it take 5 years to get that idea going?

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
I voted no, but there should be an option as to say "not in its current form". I really enjoy what the current CA committee does. I think the only thing they remove is priority seating -- let anyone who has a student ticket sit anywhere in the student section. However! Make it so that you need a Cyclone Alley membership to take advantage of some unique perks, such as road trips.

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
Yeah, I agree the cost is not the problem. But still, CA does no more with organized cheers than a regular student section would do. And being forced to wear a certain shirt shouldn't be too big of a deal.

The mandatory shirt is a big deal if you want to sell your ticket or bring random friends with you

And while the only thing CA does that is "organized" is the arm waves during free throws, I'm sure there are some students out there who don't like the mentality of an organized student section. Maybe thats a dumb reason not to join/show up but I certainly would believe that it happens

ISU_Alum_2000

All-Star
Oct 21, 2006
Aliso Viejo, CA
I was gone before CA, but anything that has the power to divide a college student fan base (for the same school) must have serious problems.

We used to have rotating tickets, where half of your games were in the lower section, and half were in the balcony. That wasn't perfect, but at least we were all in the same boat.

You can't fabricate or force school spirit. The beauty of the student fan base is that we/they/you come from all walks of life to unite as Cyclones.

CA sounds silly to me. Different "categories" of student sections? And I've heard it referred to as a "resume builder"? My god, kill it now.

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
The students need to be spread around Hilton so it will sound louder. Plus it would encourage people who normally don’t stand up and cheer to get out of their seats and make some noise

I don't encourage people like that to stand up and cheer - I **** them off enough that they call the usher to tell me to tone it down :biggrin:

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
I was gone before CA, but anything that has the power to divide a college student fan base (for the same school) must have serious problems.

We used to have rotating tickets, where half of your games were in the lower section, and half were in the balcony. That wasn't perfect, but at least we were all in the same boat.

You can't fabricate or force school spirit. The beauty of the student fan base is that we/they/you come from all walks of life to unite as Cyclones.

CA sounds silly to me. Different "categories" of student sections? And I've heard it referred to as a "resume builder"? My god, kill it now.

CA was fine when half the bowl was CA and the other half was not... when they made all of the parque seating CA thats when things started getting ugly :skeptical:

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
While I think it looks cool to have all of us wearing the same color, I firmly believe it is a direct cause of the empty balcony. I don't understand the need for it and its not like we'd stop showing up if we didn't get props

Help Support Us

Become a patron