Stupid things you've said to kids

ISU42

Sep 21, 2009
I was talking to my nephew (7 yo) and he was telling me some tall tales. Unfortunately, I repeated the George Costanza line, "Remember, it's not a lie if you believe it". He had a puzzled look on his face and repeated the line to himself and smiled. My sister was none too impressed.

What stupid things have you said to or in front of kids?

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Swear words and plenty of em. I think my daughter said shitte a year ago and she is 2.5 years old.

Reactions: Angie

cyclonebillski

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 17, 2007
Council Bluffs
My sons doctor told him no milk when he had the flu because it would make him throw up and to only drink juice or pop. He took that as milk will ALWAYS make you throw up and only drink juice and pop, like forever. Hard trying to get him to break that. Same with food. He ate and then threw up so now he is scared to eat. Have to remember that kids can focus on the wrong parts of what you are trying to tell them sometimes.

CyStalker

Jul 16, 2012
Ankeny
Dumbest thing you can tell a child that will grow up to be a cyclone fan: Don't worry everything will be all right.:no:

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
My sons doctor told him no milk when he had the flu because it would make him throw up and to only drink juice or pop. He took that as milk will ALWAYS make you throw up and only drink juice and pop, like forever. Hard trying to get him to break that. Same with food. He ate and then threw up so now he is scared to eat. Have to remember that kids can focus on the wrong parts of what you are trying to tell them sometimes.
Just convince them it will give him super powers.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
The day my Grandpa died, some young cub scout stopped by to sell popcorn. As he is petting our dog, he tells me a story about how his grandparents dog just died. For some reason, I responded with, "well my grandpa just died this morning". He looked extremely distraught after that.

• Friendly
Reactions: ianoconnor

CyStalker

Jul 16, 2012
Ankeny
Just convince them it will give him super powers.

Did something similar with my nephew. He is much younger than his brothers, but he is a tough little nugget and believes he can take them on and win despite the seven year difference in age. It was Easter and my young nephew would not eat his lunch and of course wanted Easter candy instead. His mother, who had about had it with him, told him he had to eat some of him ham before he was excused. He kept diddle daddling with his lunch so I finally told him that ham makes your muscles grow big and flexed at the table to show him. The kid wouldn't stop eating ham and went back for thirds!!!!!

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
I once told my twin brother to suck it when I didn't realize my 3 year old cousin was in the room. Trying to make her stop saying that before her dad came home was pretty tough

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I once told my twin brother to suck it when I didn't realize my 3 year old cousin was in the room. Trying to make her stop saying that before her dad came home was pretty tough

BroKane is your twin? That's even better.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Once in Chicago, we're with my brother-in-law and his (then) 4 year old son, trying to get out of a parking garage ramp which opened into an area where street traffic was trying to merge into a hotel valet area (or something). This woman cuts us off to squeeze through from right to left - didn't look, didn't acknowledge, nothing. Now, normally I've got a really good filter around little kids and old folks that keeps the swearing to a minimum. But this just popped out so effortlessly: "Stupid c u next tuesday!" The word literally just hung there in the air for what felt like an hour. We exchanged looks in the front seat and I kinda muttered "sorry" to the back seat. Fortunately for me, the boy was engrossed in a book and hadn't been paying any attention. Man, I felt so bad for letting that one fly. Oops!

Reactions: Raging Cyclone

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
This past Christmas, I was talking to my SIL about Doctor Who and the new actor that plays the Doctor, etc. My SIL then says "Really, I'm just ready for Clara [the Doctor's companion] to die." My 2.5 yo niece (her daughter) then says "diiiIIIIEEE?", with her voice sliding higher as she drew out the word. The entire room fails miserably to keep from laughing, which gets her going "Die die die die..."

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
When I was 8, we were up in Minnesota visiting grandparents. I was sitting on the couch in the living room playing Gameboy. No one else was in the room when grandpa came in, sat down in "grandpa's chair" (his recliner no one else was allowed to sit in), and quietly said,

"Life's a *****, then you marry one."

I think he and grandma were having a fight at the time.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
My nephew is getting married. She's great and all - has two kids from a previous marriage. Boy about 4 and girl about 8. I made the mistake of calling my nephew - who is living with them in the father roll, even though they're not married yet - his "Dad." Stupid and the kid called me on it.

No excuse, but these kid/transitional relationships can be complimicated if you don't stop to think about it beforehand.

I later heard he asked my brother if he was going to be his "Grandpa" - and there was some hemming and hawing, so he definitely gets it.