Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
This is from an email message just sent out from Jamie Pollard to "Cyclone Nation":

Due to several significant competitive and operational issues, Coach Campbell has requested that we switch sidelines with the visiting team. Although that may not appear to be a significant change, we do not take this change lightly as we recognize many of you have chosen your seat location based on our football team using the east sidelines. We have spent considerable time analyzing this situation and developed a plan to accommodate this change beginning next fall. We will be relocating seating areas for visiting fans, visiting band, recruits and guests of our football players. However, it will not change where our band and the Iowa State University students sit in Jack Trice Stadium. Our staff will communicate with ticket holders in January about relocation options for those fans whose seat locations may be impacted.

huntt26

Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
Just received a letter from Pollard containing this information and wanted to share:

"Due to several significant competitive and operational issues, Coach Campbell has requested that we switch sidelines with the visiting team. Although that may not appear to be a significant change, we do not take this change lightly as we recognize many of you have chosen your seat location based on our football team using the east sidelines. We have spent considerable time analyzing this situation and developed a plan to accommodate this change beginning next fall. We will be relocating seating areas for visiting fans, visiting band, recruits and guests of our football players. However, it will not change where our band and the Iowa State University students sit in Jack Trice Stadium. Our staff will communicate with ticket holders in January about relocation options for those fans whose seat locations may be impacted."

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
Dear Cyclone fans,

As we end a very successful fall sports season at Iowa State and turn our attention to the excitement surrounding our winter and spring sports, I thought it was important to share several thoughts about our athletics program.

Our fall season got the academic year off to a strong start. The men's and women's cross country teams finished 16th and 29th at the NCAA Championships; the women's cross country team won their fifth Big 12 Championship in six years; the volleyball team qualified for its 11th consecutive NCAA tournament; the soccer team finished fifth in the Big 12 and just missed a bid to the NCAA tournament; and the football team's performance clearly established tremendous excitement for the future.

The performance of our fall sports teams also propelled us to a 7-6 lead in the annual Iowa Corn Cy-Hawk Series. We are positioned to have the chance to win the series for the fourth straight season, which would be simply incredible. We are the only school to win the series in back-to-back years, let alone four times in a row!

More important than our athletic accomplishments is the success of our student-athletes in the classroom. Our student-athlete graduation rate - released last month - was best in the Big 12 and 14th nationally among Power 5 Conference institutions.

Having completed a decade as your Director of Athletics, I have been asked numerous times, what are the priorities for the next ten years? In response to those inquiries, we thought it would be beneficial to share several of the important initiatives our staff is currently working on.

1. We continue to prioritize the game-day experience for our fans as a key initiative. We experimented with opening the Jacobson Building to the general public during the last two home football games, and the feedback was so overwhelmingly positive that we will continue to keep that space open during football games next year. We are also committed to exploring ways to further improve accessible parking as well as easier access to and from the stadium for fans with special mobility needs
  2. Due to several significant competitive and operational issues, Coach Campbell has requested that we switch sidelines with the visiting team. Although that may not appear to be a significant change, we do not take this change lightly as we recognize many of you have chosen your seat location based on our football team using the east sidelines. We have spent considerable time analyzing this situation and developed a plan to accommodate this change beginning next fall. We will be relocating seating areas for visiting fans, visiting band, recruits and guests of our football players. However, it will not change where our band and the Iowa State University students sit in Jack Trice Stadium. Our staff will communicate with ticket holders in January about relocation options for those fans whose seat locations may be impacted.
  3. A critical component for the future success of our football program will be how we physically develop our student-athletes during their careers. We must maximize our ability to meet the nutritional needs of our student-athletes. As a result, we will be redeploying significant resources to make sure our student-athletes have the best nutritional options available to them beginning with this offseason. Although we will make operational changes in the short-term to improve our nutritional program, we ultimately need to build a Sports Performance Center that would efficiently provide performance enhancing services - including nutrition - to all student-athletes. Raising the funds for this project will be a significant priority of our development team during the near future.
  4. One of the best assets of our athletics program is the incredible tailgating environment around Jack Trice Stadium. We have tremendous parking - both inventory and proximity - at the stadium that is the envy of many of our peers. Yet, we also recognize the need to continue to try and improve game-day parking because we have far more fans coming to football games today than ever before and we also anticipate those numbers will increase as the team improves under Coach Campbell's leadership. As a result, we are working with campus officials to develop a comprehensive plan to capitalize on the space east of University Boulevard (across from the stadium) that will 1) increase and improve game-day parking; 2) provide more efficient and lighted space for campus recreation; and 3) further enhance the entrance to Iowa State University. This project has the potential to provide significant improvement to game-day parking and may include a pedestrian walk-way over University Boulevard (improving game day safety), relocation of RV parking to an area specifically dedicated to RVs (electrical hookups, lighting, permanent restrooms, etc.) and more prime surface parking for fans donating to the Cyclone Club. We hope to have updated information on this exciting potential project in the very near future.
These are just several of the initiatives that our staff is working on to help enhance both our athletics program and our game-day environment.

I hope you have a wonderful holiday season, and we look forward to seeing you in Ames this winter cheering on our teams.

Go Cyclones!

Sincerely,

Jamie Pollard
Director of Athletics

CYCLONE CLUB | TICKETS

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
we are working with campus officials to develop a comprehensive plan to capitalize on the space east of University Boulevard (across from the stadium) that will 1) increase and improve game-day parking; 2) provide more efficient and lighted space for campus recreation; and 3) further enhance the entrance to Iowa State University. This project has the potential to provide significant improvement to game-day parking and may include a pedestrian walk-way over University Boulevard (improving game day safety), relocation of RV parking to an area specifically dedicated to RVs (electrical hookups, lighting, permanent restrooms, etc.) and more prime surface parking for fans donating to the Cyclone Club. We hope to have updated information on this exciting potential project in the very near future.

Something we've heard form recruits is the awe they have coming around University and seeing the entrance with the columns. That minor change (along with the SEZ of course) has done wonders for the perception of our beautiful campus. Continuing to expand on that will only help.

Bu4ISU

Sep 2, 2012
Seattle
we are working with campus officials to develop a comprehensive plan to capitalize on the space east of University Boulevard (across from the stadium) that will 1) increase and improve game-day parking; 2) provide more efficient and lighted space for campus recreation; and 3) further enhance the entrance to Iowa State University. This project has the potential to provide significant improvement to game-day parking and may include a pedestrian walk-way over University Boulevard (improving game day safety), relocation of RV parking to an area specifically dedicated to RVs (electrical hookups, lighting, permanent restrooms, etc.) and more prime surface parking for fans donating to the Cyclone Club. We hope to have updated information on this exciting potential project in the very near future.

Something we've heard form recruits is the awe they have coming around University and seeing the entrance with the columns. That minor change (along with the SEZ of course) has done wonders for the perception of our beautiful campus. Continuing to expand on that will only help.
What are these columns he's referring to?

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
"relocation of RV parking to an area specifically dedicated to RVs (electrical hookups, lighting, permanent restrooms, etc.)"

Wait, what?

There are a lot of bombs in that email!

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
dang beat me to it!

interesting change. other than TV don't see how it would affect much.
I would think it has something to do with standing/staring in(to) the sun during day games, while the opposing team gets to stand in the shade. The sideline is closer to the locker room, also? Seems insignificant, but clearly a big enough deal for Campbell to ask for the change.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
As a student, I can already tell you this is going to end horribly. Can you imagine the things that are going to be yelled at the opposing team all game. But at the same time I'm not sure if that's a bad thing.

Won't be any worse than what they already yell....lol.

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
As a student, I can already tell you this is going to end horribly. Can you imagine the things that are going to be yelled at the opposing team all game. But at the same time I'm not sure if that's a bad thing.
Eh, many teams in the big 12 have their students directly behind the opposing team bench like TCU. At least our students will be at the end/endzone

• Agree
Reactions: isufbcurt

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

I'm more concerned about the students rushing the field after big wins. They'll rush the field right into the visiting team and their efforts to get off the field. At the very least, I'd move them to the Southeast corner to avoid this. At least until CMC gets us to the level of prominence that we no longer feel the need to rush the field.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I'm more concerned about the students rushing the field after big wins. They'll rush the field right into the visiting team and their efforts to get off the field. At the very least, I'd move them to the Southeast corner to avoid this. At least until CMC gets us to the level of prominence that we no longer feel the need to rush the field.
Hopefully, we won't be underdogs very much longer so storming the field is a thing of the past.

• Optimistic
  • Funny
Reactions: Lahey and ICHawk24

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I was expecting a re-seating of Hilton before all this.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron