T.J. Tampa projected as first round pick going into NFL Combine

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I get that aspect but that rarely happens. Safety help over the top should be there. CB coverage usually happens in a box, and if you have elite agility that will take care of 90% of the routes.
I suppose that agility covers the first step or two. After that, we’re talking about “recovery speed”.

However, I admit that with ever worsening vision, I don’t watch as much NFL as I used to. My football weekends nowadays are usually spent with John and Eric.

So I’ll step out of the conversation at this point.

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
I suppose that agility covers the first step or two. After that, we’re talking about “recovery speed”.

However, I admit that with ever worsening vision, I don’t watch as much NFL as I used to. My football weekends nowadays are usually spent with John and Eric.

So I’ll step out of the conversation at this point.
Kyle Hamilton ran a 4.59 and he is a stud. 40 time is overrated and outdated. It can tell a little bit but I would rather draft football players instead of sprinters.

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
Kyle Hamilton ran a 4.59 and he is a stud. 40 time is overrated and outdated. It can tell a little bit but I would rather draft football players instead of sprinters.
Yep, just like arm strength for QBs.

Take a look at the top 10 40 times in NFL combine history coming into this year. Outside of Chris Johnson and Tariq Woolen, I couldn’t even tell you what teams these other guys played for.

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
Yep, just like arm strength for QBs.

Take a look at the top 10 40 times in NFL combine history coming into this year. Outside of Chris Johnson, I couldn’t even tell you what teams these other guys played for.

There are so many franchises that draft off numbers that don’t equate to actually playing football. There is a reason the same teams keep drafting high.

A little cardinal and gold but Purdy didn’t wow on height, arm strength, etc. but he is a football player. High IQ, knows the game, makes the right plays. Players make plays, and if the tape shows they are constantly making the right plays, that means something. I’m not saying TJ will be an all pro but basing his draft stock off running a 4.5 is asinine. Watch the tape. He hardly got thrown at, and made plays. Would you rather draft him or some guy that ran a 4.3 but couldn’t stay in front of a traffic cone?

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls

I wouldn’t say it’s outdated, if a dude runs sub 4.3 it’s pretty impressive. Obviously the agility drills are super important too. It’s a tool for evaluating players, 1 of many

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
I wouldn’t say it’s outdated, if a dude runs sub 4.3 it’s pretty impressive. Obviously the agility drills are super important too. It’s a tool for evaluating players, 1 of many
1 of many is right. I’m not saying to ignore it, but that isn’t the only thing. Pure speed ain’t ****. Now, if you can do something that speed sure, but I eat to see how you do in a box compared to straight line 9/10 times.

Reactions: CycloneVet

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
40 speed is not overrated and outdated. If you draft a fast guy with no other information that would be one thing.

• Agree
Reactions: BACyclone

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Otherwise known as the Al Davis
I always enjoyed the story of the Cowboys, back in the day.

Did an individual workout with some guy, Ivy League maybe. Ran a totally insane 40 time. They chortled, kept it a secret, then grabbed him—maybe even first round?

Turned out the scout had measured the “40 yards” short. Like 35, maybe 30?

The stuff of legend.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Coop ran a 4.42 and a 4.45 at his workout today. FYI. I’m guessing he goes mid to late first round.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
40 speed is not overrated and outdated. If you draft a fast guy with no other information that would be one thing.

Yeah, if you are going to spend a first round pick on a CB, he better be able to cover in space AND keep up with WRs deep. Tampa has great agility, great size, can tackle and make plays on the ball. But, a 4.55 40 is going to drop him out of the first round.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE