T.J. Tampa projected as first round pick going into NFL Combine

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
Yeah, if you are going to spend a first round pick on a CB, he better be able to cover in space AND keep up with WRs deep. Tampa has great agility, great size, can tackle and make plays on the ball. But, a 4.55 40 is going to drop him out of the first round.
He might not go in the 1st but he'll be gone by mid 2nd latest, probably early 2nd. Kiper has him 25 on his big board not because of his own evaluations. He has him that high based on what he's hearing teams around the league think about him.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Most draft boards that I have seen have Tampa going in the middle of the 2nd round. I would be surprised if he slide up into the first round or fell back to the third. He is being looked at in most mock drafts right around #40.

The DeJean kid has also fell to the late middle of the 1st round, most have him going 23rd to 27th, a lot think he ends up at GB with the 25th pick. Most feel that he will end up as a safety rather than corner in the league with the ability to return punts.

• Agree
Reactions: BACyclone

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
He might not go in the 1st but he'll be gone by mid 2nd latest, probably early 2nd. Kiper has him 25 on his big board not because of his own evaluations. He has him that high based on what he's hearing teams around the league think about him.

We'll see. He does check all of the boxes other than straight line speed. I could see a team that plays Tampa 2 like his ability to cover in the short to mid. That said, as long as I've followed ISU, our fans have over inflated ISU players draft stock. They see one mock draft that says a guy will go high and take it as gospel. There's been one guy who bucked that trend and it was Will McDonald. Everyone else has went at least a half round lower than fans expected if not multiple rounds.

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
We'll see. He does check all of the boxes other than straight line speed. I could see a team that plays Tampa 2 like his ability to cover in the short to mid. That said, as long as I've followed ISU, our fans have over inflated ISU players draft stock. They see one mock draft that says a guy will go high and take it as gospel. There's been one guy who bucked that trend and it was Will McDonald. Everyone else has went at least a half round lower than fans expected if not multiple rounds.
My opinion isn't based on Iowa State fans. I've listened to a lot of NFL draft podcasts and people who are plugged in have all said the same about Tampa. Obviously he could fall but he seems to be thought of pretty highly around the league. Like you said, we'll see.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Kiper updated his mock today. Here is where he has Tampa:

35. Arizona Cardinals

T.J. Tampa, CB, Iowa State

I'm a big fan of Tampa. He's fast, physical, experienced -- he started 29 games in his career -- and has long arms for his 6-foot-1 frame. The Cardinals brought in Sean Murphy-Bunting this offseason but have to add more talent at cornerback. Tampa likely would slot in as a starter on the outside, which would give Arizona three impact players with its top three selections.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Kiper updated his mock today. Here is where he has Tampa:

35. Arizona Cardinals

T.J. Tampa, CB, Iowa State

I'm a big fan of Tampa. He's fast, physical, experienced -- he started 29 games in his career -- and has long arms for his 6-foot-1 frame. The Cardinals brought in Sean Murphy-Bunting this offseason but have to add more talent at cornerback. Tampa likely would slot in as a starter on the outside, which would give Arizona three impact players with its top three selections.
You beat me by a minute. I had it clipped ready to post.
DeJean is predicted for #17 to Jacksonville

Last edited:
Reactions: Cfinnerty16

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
Dane Brugler from the Athletic put out his major draft guide. Had TJ as the 8th best cornerback and a 2nd/3rd round prospect. I'd be surprised if he ends up a 1st rounder at this point

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Dane Brugler from the Athletic put out his major draft guide. Had TJ as the 8th best cornerback and a 2nd/3rd round prospect. I'd be surprised if he ends up a 1st rounder at this point
I dunno. People had Kyle Hamilton falling into the 2nd or 3rd after his 40 time. It just takes one team. Like with Will.

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
I dunno. People had Kyle Hamilton falling into the 2nd or 3rd after his 40 time. It just takes one team. Like with Will.
Kyle Hamilton was being projected as a top 10 pick before he ran his 40. TJ has always been fringe 1, most likely 2nd. I don't disagree a team could fall in love with his tape/abilities and take him in the 1st round, I just dont think Cyclone fans should expect that and be shocked when he doesn't go first round

Last edited:

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Kyle Hamilton was being projected as a top 10 pick before he ran his 40. TJ has always been fringe 1, most likely 2nd. I don't disagree a team could fall in love with his tape/abilities and take him in the 1st round, I just dont think Cyclone fans should expect that and be shocked when he doesn't go first round
I never understand when people say “expect” or “expectations” about things over which they have no control whatsoever.

I recognize possibilities. A broad range of them. Occasionally, I have hopes. But there’s no reason for me to invest anything more of myself than that, because I have absolutely zero influence on the situation.

Reactions: Cydkar and nrg4isu

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Kiper loves him some TJ Tampa:

T.J. Tampa, Iowa State​

I really think Tampa is being underrated. I would take him in Round 1 if I were the general manager of a corner-needy team drafting in the late 20s. Tampa checks every single box for me: He is fast, physical and long, has great instincts and gets his hands on passes. I really like how he leveled up last season, playing 378 coverage snaps while allowing just one touchdown as the nearest defender. He got better every single game in his career.

Tampa had two interceptions last season and just three total in his career, but I like his ball skills. He'll get up and knock receivers around in press coverage. He'll also tackle in the run game.

Projection: If Tampa were a little bit faster -- he ran a 4.52-second 40-yard dash at his pro day -- I think he'd be a no-brainer first-rounder. At this point, though, I see him as a top-50 pick who could sneak into the top 35. He is my sixth-ranked corner.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
I get that aspect but that rarely happens. Safety help over the top should be there. CB coverage usually happens in a box, and if you have elite agility that will take care of 90% of the routes.
Little known fact. At the combine three years ago, Brock Purdy had the best 10 yard split of all QBs in his draft class.

Which if you're watching the games easily explains he is not a track runner, but in terms of scrambling, being able to pick up 5-8 yards, he is really good in that department. The 10 yard split and agility cone drills are much more applicable to real life football than any 40.. Offensive lineman (or D lineman) running the 40 is just plain stupid.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Little known fact. At the combine three years ago, Brock Purdy had the best 10 yard split of all QBs in his draft class.

Which if you're watching the games easily explains he is not a track runner, but in terms of scrambling, being able to pick up 5-8 yards, he is really good in that department. The 10 yard split and agility cone drills are much more applicable to real life football than any 40.. Offensive lineman (or D lineman) running the 40 is just plain stupid.
Saying that it’s stupid is ignorant .

Assuming that the only value is simply derived from running forty yards is simplistic.

It’s just another piece of the puzzle that can be applied and interpreted in multiple manners to assist overall evaluation.

The forty time is not itself what they are looking at. The implications of that forty time—and how that athlete ran it—are.

• Winner
Reactions: Cydkar

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
Saying that it’s stupid is ignorant .

Assuming that the only value is simply derived from running forty yards is simplistic.

It’s just another piece of the puzzle that can be applied and interpreted in multiple manners to assist overall evaluation.

The forty time is not itself what they are looking at. The implications of that forty time—and how that athlete ran it—are.
Agreed - but a cone drill will show quick change of direction and acceleration. That plays more into football than running a straight line IMO. Are both drills useful? Sure, but if I’m a GM, I put more stock into a cone drill than a 40 yard dash

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Tampa had two interceptions last season and just three total in his career, but I like his ball skills. He'll get up and knock receivers around in press coverage. He'll also tackle in the run game.

The low INT number isn't a surprise. Great cover CBs often don't have a lot of interceptions because good offensive coordinators and quarterbacks won't even bother throwing near him.

Thankfully NFL talent evaluators know that. Sometimes the guy who gets a few INTs is also the guy who gives up the big plays because teams are challenging him because they know they'll usually win.

Agreed - but a cone drill will show quick change of direction and acceleration. That plays more into football than running a straight line IMO. Are both drills useful? Sure, but if I’m a GM, I put more stock into a cone drill than a 40 yard dash

I'd much rather see numbers for guys doing a 10-yard dash or cone drill IN PADS over a 40-yard dash out of them. You can maybe make a case for the 40-yard for RBs, WRs, CBs, and Ss, but just barely.

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
Kiper must like TJ Tampa a lot more than NFL execs.

He's been on the top of Mel's "Best Available" for awhile with several CBs/DBs getting picked ahead of him.

I hate seeing an Iowa State player drop in the draft like this. Hopefully he uses it as motivational fuel and he lands with a good organization/fit for him tomorrow.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Wow... a ton of bad takes in the first few pages of this thread. I accept all apologies now.

All I said was I didn't see him as a 1st round pick.

I want him to prove everyone, especially me, wrong though. Rooting for him big time!