Tailgating -- Charcoal Grills

Redhawk94

Jun 30, 2010
I always bring a metal pail with me to dump hot coals. I love charcoal grilling, but you have to be smart about it. Those coals can stay hot or warm for a long time and sometimes are still warm the next day with embers still glowing.

CycloneNC2015

Jul 28, 2009
Urbandale
I have seen people burn there feet from coals from charcoal grills from people dumping them between vehicles and not properly getting rid of them. I know a few that had to go to the hospital.

But according to the people that dumped the coals it was there fault for wearing flip flops and not paying attention to where they walked.

I am one of those that have had their feet burned. It was a UNI game (I think 04). I was tailgating with a buddy in the student lot and it was really hot. I had my shoes off because it was hot. It was getting towards the end of the day and we were cleaning up. He dumped the grill and I didnt realize it and turned and stepped on one coal that had rolled off the pile. Worst pain ever. After a couple hours it looked like I had a golf ball sticking out of the ball of my left foot.

I never went to the doctor but probably should have. Got lucky it never got infected. I was on crutches and couldnt wear a shoe for a month. I still get a sensation in my big toe that there is an ice cube or wet water on the tip of my toe. There must be some nerve damage.

There are two lessons here: 1) dont dump your coals out where they can be stepped on. 2) dont be an idiot and take your shoes off.